Thread: Custom Firmware Guide To All Guides

Midian is offline -Hacks Veteran

This guide is self-explanitory and will guide you through the process of installing, recovery, ect. So, lets start off with the basics

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------BASICS-----------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What the hell is custom firmware?

---Custom firmware is a firmware made by 3rd party pogrammers so that the PSP can do more than it was intended to be able to do (i.e. Recovery, Editing the fonts, ect)

How many custom firmwares are there?

---Currentely, there are about 15 custom firmwares (correct me if i'm wrong) they are: 2.71 SE-A, B, B', B3, and C, 3.02 OE-A and B, 3.03 OE-A, B, and C, 3.10 OE-A and A', Harley G's Custom Firmware Mod, Firmware 1.53, and Custom Firmware POC.

Above, you went from SE to OE, why?

---I'm not sure why, the devolopers made it like that because of some reason that I can't remember right now.

What Custom Firmmware is best?

---That depends on what you are looking for in your custom firmware

How do I upgrade to a Custom Firmware?

---There are things called " Easy Upgraders" that will do all the preparations for you but they only have Easy Upgrades for 3.03 OE-C and 3.10 OE-A. If you want any other custom firmware, you must first have a psp with version 1.50. Then you just have to download the custom firmware. inside the download, there will ALWAYS be foldes labled as: FOR SE UPGRADES: seupdmaker, seupdmaker%, 271flasher and 271flasher%. I will not go into details on how to actually put everything on your PSP, there will be a text file called "Readme.txt" at the beginning explaining how to upgrade your PSP to that firmware FOR OE UPGRADES, its the same but with 30?updmaker, ect.

My PSP's motherboard is a TA-082, can i still upgrade?

---Yes, as long as you have a PSP with version 1.50.

-----------------------------------------------What Can Custom Firmware Do?----------------------------------------------
    Custom Firmware to do a veriety of things. But it all depends on the firmware you want. The highest version (3.10 OE-A') can do the following: Recover your semi-bricked PSP, Play ISO/ROMS, gives access to Flash0 and Flash1, (ALOT of stuff in the recovery menu), but the best thing is, you can still play homebrew games with all the features as the actuall firmware itself!!! Such as Flash and Video Playback!!!

----------------------------------Ok, I Have My Firmware Installed, Now What?--------------------------------------------
    OK, I would recomend first connecting your PSP to your PC, you will notice some changes like the ISO folder in the root of your memory stick. If not, format your memory stick and select "restore deault settings". The new thing with custom firmware is, ALL your homebrew goes in the GAME150 folder, your official games like the Killzone demo go in the GAME271 or 302 or 303 or 310 depending on the firmware you have. Then I would check out the recovery menu (turn on your PSP while holding R) and then I would try some homebrew :mrgreen:.

--------------------------------------------I Bricked It, I Bricked It!!!! Help Me!!!-------------------------------------------
    Ok, here comes the hard part, in the custom firmware download, you should of saw a folder called "FLASH FOR RECOVERY" and inside the actuall RECOVERY folder. Chances are you tried it and it didn't work, thats because when you do it, it must go like this:

MS0:/PSP/GAME/RECOVERY
    |
    -----(inside the RECOVERY folder you must have downloaded (2) 1.50 official updates (one
    should be named 150.PBP and the other UPDATE.PBP exactly as it is shown!!!) and then the download of the firmware you have (if 2.71 SE-? then firmware 2.71, if 3.03 OE-? then firmware 3.03, ect. When downloaded, rename it according to the firmware (if 2.17, 271.PBP, if 3.03, 303.PBP, ect) by the way, rename the EBOOT.PBP file and then you can put it into the RECOVERY folder. If it prompts you to ovewrite, that means you did something wrong!

---------------------------------------------------How Do I Edit Things?------------------------------------------------------
    There are many great tutorials on how to do this, but since your reading mine, I will tell you. When you start your PSP in RECOVERY mode, all you do is this:

Recovery Menu
    |
    -------Advanced
    |
    --------Toggle Falsh0
    then when your PC detects it, go to this directory:

MS0/Resource/VSH

and thats it, your done!

Well, I hope I helped you on your quest to have and use custom firmware. If you have any questions, post them here and i will answer them when I get a chance!!!

:::::All my obstacles have disappeared. I am God of this new world. -Light ep:25:::::
    ::::JOIN http://www.reticentreprisal.freeforums.org/ NOW!!!!::::

VuZuW is offline -Hacks Guru

Try making some font effects (bold,italic,underline,colour)

Nice guide!

Stallone is offline Senior Member -Hacks Veteran

Alankellyeire is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

elboffor is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

nice info dood

does this mean uve taken the plunge to the dark side and joined us oe users?

truncj is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by VuZuW
    Try making some font effects (bold,italic,underline,colour)

Nice guide!
    Agreed. Hard to navigate, but useful.

ix_stylez is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

umm.. u put the highest custom firmware is 3.19OE. u have to edit that =P

but the guide is pretty useful and should be stickied

*stickied*..... nooooo i forgot i dont have the magic glue stick that admins have

3.03 -> 1.5 -> 3.03oe-a -> 3.03oe-b -> 3.03oe-c -> 3.10oe-a -> 3.10oe-a\' -> 3.52 M33

killaj is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Exad already has a very good OE guide, but this one has its strong points. it would be good if you PMed him and worked together to merge the guides into one