Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: > Getting Homebrew to work latest official firmware?

FocusedWolf is offline -Hacks Newbie

Hi, dumb question but why do we have to downgrade?

Can't we just find a way to digitally sign a launcher application so the psp thinks its from sony and official and executes without worry... Then after that we can just use the launcher app to load all the hombrew apps in the world unmodified... cool idea right... This would be a multiplatform solution that would work on ALL motherboards and ALL rom versions... so we could still upgrade to play new games and the launcher would work... It'd work because sony would have to make it IMPOSSIBLE to play original psp games in order to stop it cause their'd be no differentiating them from this signed launcher :mrgreenthumbsup:

I think one possible route is cracking a demo to call a unsigned launcher program and then the launcher can be the gui for launching the homebrew...only problem is i think part of the protection scheme sony uses relies on the crc or something of the program... so it'd take a master cracker to figure this out.

This imho is the only real way to get homebrew to work... especially for us ta-082 owners that think we bought a brick from the start...cause we expected a small ultra mobile pc and all we got was a brick :P

O one more thing... why isn't it possible to unbrick a psp...couldn't we just flash it like the factory does it... perhaps through the usb port... maybe i'm asking for to much.

VuZuW is offline -Hacks Guru

They don't do that because the possibility to brick would be like 80% instead of like..10-5%

EDIT: And sony unbricks PSP with a special Memory Stick with wires connected to the PC which can automatically write to FLASH. No one has something like that.
    And to unbrick PSPs you need to put a new FLASH instead of the corrupted one...Now how can u do that when u cannot even connect to the USB when its bricked??
    Well thats when the ModChip comes in..You install an extra flash, which creates a copy to the other corrupted one (therefore, you will now have 2 Flashes on one PSP).
    Or Just taking out the motherboard with the corrupted flash, and place another one which has a good flash.
    These are the only ways of unbricking PSP (leaving the CFW Semi-Brick unbricker)

Hope u learned something from this.

ix_stylez is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

like a homebrew disguised as a demo? lol iono.

cant we just edit the demo to write unsigned code and downgrade a psp?

3.03 -> 1.5 -> 3.03oe-a -> 3.03oe-b -> 3.03oe-c -> 3.10oe-a -> 3.10oe-a\' -> 3.52 M33

FocusedWolf is offline -Hacks Newbie

ugh...ok i get the thing about how writing to the flash isn't going to happen...because it seems the psp needs intact software on the recieving psp to get it to work from the usb....which if you ask me is really dumb...they shoulda had a dedicated firmware on the psp like a bios that could be accessed even if the firmeware was corrupt so that you could flash the rom...but then they probably did do just that and that's how that memory card flasher thing works lol

however i don't see why forging a signature for a launcher program could in anyway corrupt the rom... If that were the case then the act of running officially signed code, like a game, could result in bricking a psp.

I suspect that in the future someone from sony is going to leak out a tiny little exe that can sign a app... and then all homebrew would execute on non-endangered-non-downgraded psp's.

Scotch is offline -Hacks Guru

Quote Originally Posted by FocusedWolf
    ugh...ok i get the thing about how writing to the flash isn't going to happen...because it seems the psp needs intact software on the recieving psp to get it to work from the usb....which if you ask me is really dumb...they shoulda had a dedicated firmware on the psp like a bios that could be accessed even if the firmeware was corrupt so that you could flash the rom...but then they probably did do just that and that's how that memory card flasher thing works lol
    If they did allow USB>Flash access, there would be soooo many bricks flooding into them. ...just guessing but I'm thinking they don't want ppl messing with the flash.
    however i don't see why forging a signature for a launcher program could in anyway corrupt the rom... If that were the case then the act of running officially signed code, like a game, could result in bricking a psp.
    Homebrew apps run unsigned code, that code could be a command line that messes with the flash...like how many flasher apps work. Officially signed eboot's have been tested so they won't harm a PSP I beleive. And even if one did corrupt the flash, that developer would get sued big time.

I suspect that in the future someone from sony is going to leak out a tiny little exe that can sign a app... and then all homebrew would execute on non-endangered-non-downgraded psp's.
    Anything is possible. They must pay their sony ninjas well.

SourSlurpee is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ix_stylez
    like a homebrew disguised as a demo? lol iono.

cant we just edit the demo to write unsigned code and downgrade a psp?
    nope.
    Changing any sony code breaks the signature

KojiKnight is offline -Hacks Neophyte

To expand on what sourslurpee said, you can't write unsigned code without protections being disabled. You can't disable protections on the PSP if you can't run unsigned code. All of the current exploits take advantages of security holes to run unsigned code, which than allows you to circumvent the PSP's protections from then on.

spacepig101 is offline -Hacks Guru

Sure lets crack Sonys signature. Wolf we will need to borrow your super computer (about 1.8 teraflops in power) and let it start cracking. Then just wait about 20+years for it to crack it and BOOM no problems we will be able to sign any code and get it to run.

THAT is why it hasnt been done.

Click here

# of noob that delete thier flash0 and wonder y they brick (start on 5/29/07): 2

Scotch is offline -Hacks Guru

bah! is that all? Ill make a cracker app for my psp and have it's processing power do it...even better! :mrgreenthumbsup:

Erland is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Do you even know how signed code works?...

Sony Gives the programmers certain shit to insert into there code before compiling it. Once it's complied the firmware looks for the singed code in the eboot. The firmware knows what to look for. If anything is edited in the program the the code will not remain the same it will change and no longer have the same algorithm as it had before. If someone was able to break the algorithm they use then we can write our own signed code.l Being that there are so many different possibilities it's almost impossible to crack it.

Next best thing to do is find an exploit in the firmware that will let us play unsigned code. They did in version 1.5.
    They took that and wrote their own upgaders to up to the custom firmware. Now they had a decision to make. Let everyone on 1.5 play homebrew and screw everyone else or come up with a downgrader. Which mean they have to find some exploit in each firmware, then write unsigned code for it to downgrade.

All these downgraders and upgraders do when writing to the flash0 is coping files over to it. It's just standard copying nothing more. It's just when it writes a bad file to the flash0 is when it bricks. Either that or it stops writing in the middle of the file and doesn't finish.

I'm not even gonna get into the protections sony has on it...that's another night.

I am tried and need sleep...and another blunt...but that's another subject...

I'm out good night.
    Modded/Downgraded: Classics:65 | Slims:34 | UnBricked:6

PSP Classic Black = TA-079v1 - 4.01 M33-2 | PSP Slim Silver = TA-085v1 - 4.01 M33

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast