Thread: Zelda: OOT on D12?

MAB_Leeder is offline -Hacks Hacker

Does anybody have any clue or ideas as to whether or not the soon to be released new Daedalus will be able to play Zelda Ocarina of Time with full/ good speed, or will it be slow like the previous releases?

Or if D12 will be able to play any other games besides Goldeneye/ Mario Smash Bros. ? At a playable speed?

I'm anxious to play OOT on the PSP, and this waiting is kiiiilling me

Ryu
    Ryu is offline Super Mod of the Brood -Hacks Titan

here some info
    http://strmnnrmn.blogspot.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by StrmnNrmn
    Multiplayer Thoughts

In response to a recent post, Zeus asked an interesting question:

I know you've probably been bugged by people on this before, but how hard would multi-player be to implement? More importantly, do you think that there is enough bandwidth, and low enough lag, to allow a host-client multiplayer setup to be playable? (ie, with one psp "hosting" the game and doing the emulation, while the other(s) just receive screen-captures and send back user-input) Or do you think that distributing the computational workload would be a better approach? (at the very minimum, the audio processor shouldn't be too horrible to move to the client psp(s) )

I have thought about multiplayer a great deal, but I've never made any plans to work on it - there didn't seem to be much point getting multiplayer working before there were a few multiplayer games running quickly and glitch free. Now that MarioKart and Super Smash Bros. are both working reasonably well, there's obviously going to be a lot more demand for multiplayer support. Before I raise expectations and get anyone's hopes up, I should mention that this isn't likely to happen any time soon.

It would be possible to go down the route of having a host psp which performs emulation and broadcasts the screen to client psps. Sony's Remote Play between the PS3 and PSP shows that this kind of 'dumb terminal' approach can work in the right situations. That's with the PS3 doing the grunt work of compressing the framebuffer and sending it over to the PSP. For for a PSP running Daedalus as a host, I'm not quite sure there would be enough spare horsepower to compress the framebuffer and audio and then send it to 1 or more connected clients.

Also, I don't think that it would be possible to decouple the audio processing from the main cpu thread so that this work could be distributed to one of the clients. Although the audio and graphics processing is notionally run in parallel on the RSP (the N64's coprocessor), access is still serialised between audio and graphics tasks so they have to be completed in order. Performing audio processing on a client PSP would just mean that graphics processing on the host would have to wait until the results of the audio processing were received.

The approach that I'd been considering was running Daedalus in lockstep across 2 or more connected PSPs. As I mentioned previously Daedalus can run deterministically if external inputs such as pad input and timing sources are synchronised. What this would mean would be that every time the rom queried the pad status, each connected psp would have to synchronise its view of the pad input with the host. This would mean sending just 64 bytes across the network from the client to the host and back. This information would have to be sent over a TCP connection rather than UDP as we have to ensure that every PSP sees the exact same input (actually, client->host communication is a bit less critical so it may be possible to transmit this information over UDP if it helps improve lag.)

One really cool feature about this approach is that as each PSP would be responsible for rendering its own display, it would be possible to scale up each viewport to fill the display; rather than playing 4-player Mario Kart or Goldeneye at 160x120, you'd be able to play at 320x240 (or 480x272 if you wanted to scale it up to entirely fill the PSP's screen).

As I said at the start of the post, this isn't something that's likely to happen any time soon, but if and when it does happen, it will be amazing :)

-StrmnNrmn

Posted by StrmnNrmn at 11:22 AM 1 comments

Labels: daedalus, multiplayer

R12 Release Date

A number of people have been asking in the comments when R12 is going to be released.

There are still a number of things I want to work on. Now that Super Smash Bros. is running nice and quickly with dynarec enabled, I want to spend a week or so polishing the graphics and trying to make it as playable as possible. Although Goldeneye is running with dynarec in R12, it still needs a lot of work before its playable, so I'm not going to spend any more time on it for R12.

I'm going on holiday at the end of June, so I'd like to have R12 released before then. I'll aim for next weekend (23rd/24th June) but it may end up being as late as the 26th/27th.

-StrmnNrmn

PSP 1.5 got on USA first day is was 1.5 NOW 4.01 M33-2 -> 5.00 M33-6(1.50 addon),
    Old PS3s: PS3 60GB FW:3.41(2nd ps3 YLoD, 1st, YLoD)
    New PS3:
    Slim 160gb 01-21-2011 Working
    was 3.40 OFW->3.60 OFW

2nd PSP : PHAT 5.50 GEN-D2
    3rd PSP : Sliver 3000 Starting OFW:4.20 (NEW bought NEW on 11/28/2010)
    It a good idea to have "Hide extensions for known file types" in Folder Options(under Tool) unchecked (turn on extensions)

3DS FC:0301-9790-8019

drmadcow is offline Senior Member -Hacks Guru

I know what you mean if I play another mariokart at 9FPS I'm going to blow my fucking brains out. I swear the first release of daedalus got me so angry I cut off the head of my own penis and swallowed it. I want mario damnit!! I WANT HIM TO SAY "ITS ME MARIO!" AT FULL FPS THAT LIL ITALIAN BASTURD JUST AINT TEH SAME, THE WAY HE SHAKES HIS LIL ASS IN MY FACE WHILE I PLAY IT JUST TRYING TO TEASE ME AND WHEN ITS NOT AT FPS HE SHAKES I TOO SLOW... HE SHAKES IT "SEXY" SLOW AND I CAN HAVE THAT WHILE FACING A BOSS OR TRYING TO CATCH DEM STARS

the daedalus shouldn't have been released until it could play at least 1 game full speed, honestly.

yeah I guess some ppl would say that but I think its kinda up to the coder. I mean he could of been working on this thing forever but when you work really hard on a project like this that I'm sure he does you wanna share your progress with people interested in what you are doing. That gives you the motivation to keep on working on it so that it'll eventually get to full speed.

yeah, thats def. true

why is that the dood only talks about loading mario kart / smash bros on d12 tho? What about all the other games?

idk it's kinda wierd on those things like I noticed you fix it up to where one game runs pretty smooth then you fix it up more for another game and that one runs even better but then the game you had running b4 that quits. programmin emulators are a tricky thing I guess, I think this guy will have it running pretty good by the time hes done with it

almost is offline -Hacks Guru

im just happy that we got some news hopefully more than just 007 and smash are running full speed i doubt jet force gemini will be running full speed anytime yet but i can hope cant i?
    been gone awhile