Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you think the batter unbricker is for real?

psphackr is offline -Hacks Ninja

I came across this on the net:
    http://www.psp-vault.com/Article1016.psp

Do you think this is fact or fiction? I hope it's true because it would certainly help all those poor noobs who bricked their psp's.

Xbox 360: iXtreme LT+; RRoD
    PSP: 6.35 PRO
    iPhone 3GS: iOS 4.2.1 jailbroken with greenpois0n

Gliz9 is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Well I think it would only be helpful if people could make the battery, and it also says I have to be a member to view the news. Fuck that.

cam0 is offline -Hacks Smarty

If you can't view the news, here's a few pics for you.

?

psphackr is offline -Hacks Ninja

I'm not a member but I can view it. But here it is:

Most of you have probably heard about the mysterious "Sony unbricker battery" that was discovered, as well as a memory stick recovered from a refurbished unit. There's been plenty of rumors going around, and of course, speculation follows. It's hard to separate the logical from the unreasonable, but I'm going to do the best I can. Basically, I'll try and sift through what's been said, and see if we can make some sense out of it.

For the previous 'bit regarding the battery, you can go here.

Interested? Read on!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before I go deep into the discussion, you can follow along at PSPGen [lame Google translation], where the information came from.

Let's first put everything out on the table. Below are several pictures, showing the battery itself, and some of the functions it can (supposedly) perform. Click on each thumbnail for a full resolution picture, courtesy of PSPGen.

"If asked how we obtained these pictures, we would be obliged to answer that this information is classified top-secret."

A few of the pictures show the battery itself, with a small display screen on the outside. There are no pictures of the display screen lit up, which might make the report appear more accurate. Instead, the only other shots are of the PSP's screen while the battery is plugged in. The battery doesn't look like something that was randomly made to spark rumors, but there's still no telling.

Here's some specs on the battery, according to PSPGen:

1.1v-3.5v debug unit for connecting through the serial port in 3rd. battery pin.

Transmission of data is UNENCRYPTED but uses a XOR algorithm for transmission (easily parsed and analyzed).

Contains any number of IPLs (different ones for each motherboard revision (TA-XXX))

IPL is loaded into the Kernel Memory. ME area seems most likely (IPL of the PSP is the same but missing 2 essential modules that the debug unit has).

Contains ipl_mg_modules.bin and ipl_mg_nanddriver.bin

IPL is encrypted in 3 stages. Easily decrypted to show stages, but not for decrypt each individual stage.

Contains a 40x120 column TFT screen for display.

Has a SERIAL port for PC connectivity.

Seems to have a 32MB ROM IMAGE on Flash.

8MB of RAM.

Nickel-Cadmium Battery Cell (possibly 76 hour battery life).

AC/DC adapter port 15V.

Contains 4 buttons (on/off, reset, connect/disconnect, menu).

Arrow keys UP and DOWN for menu.

The details of the battery are what gives most of it it's credit. Of course, anyone could develop a list of specs, but these seem to be very knowledgeable. The bit about 76 hour battery life could be a typo, but certainly wouldn't be realistic for a battery of that size, even being a Nickel-Cadmium. Still, for most people, it's the seeing that leads to believing.

The problem with only showing screenshots is that the PSP itself can display still images. Because they haven't released a video yet, there's not telling that they didn't just create the images, and display them under "Photo". This sort of assumption is really skeptical, but that's often the attitude that follows such rumors. Unlike the legal system, when it comes to rumors or unbelievable news, it's usually fake unless proven authentic. For now, there's no telling what's real and what isn't.

I have trouble believing that a memory stick was left in a returned PSP unit, that could certainly happen. A "special battery" would certainly be a leak, and not something that was accidentally mailed to an owner. As far as it's authenticity, I can't really believe it. While the idea of a magic battery that can access the PSP's guts through a 3rd battery pin is pretty awesome, and a possibility, there just isn't enough to back it up.

If a video hits the web, showing the battery being inserted and then the PSP booting up, I will certainly change my opinion. For now, simply reading a list of specs, analyzing some pictures, and hearing that they came from a classified source.

I'm listing this rumor as doubtful, but would certainly rethink when more information becomes available.

Xbox 360: iXtreme LT+; RRoD
    PSP: 6.35 PRO
    iPhone 3GS: iOS 4.2.1 jailbroken with greenpois0n

RonJon is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Wow...

Looks kinda real, although that could of been a pic and that could of been some random retarted plastic....

:0

who knows..

cam0 is offline -Hacks Smarty

I don't think anyone would waste that amount of time making a fake battery to get a lot of peoples hopes up...but then again people play WOW for 14 hours+ a day so..who knows. :mrgreenthumbsup:
    ?

spacewiz is offline -Hacks Veteran

its fake. the person came out and said they photoshoped those photos.
    PS3 : 300gb : 4.41 OFW
    PSP-1000 : 6.60 PRO-C Fix 3
    DSi : acekard2i - AKAIO 1.8.9

Erland is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

I second spacewiz....maxconsoles has links to the page where the guy admitted it was a fake...

but they also have links to 2 videos showing that there is a magic battery is out there.
    Modded/Downgraded: Classics:65 | Slims:34 | UnBricked:6

PSP Classic Black = TA-079v1 - 4.01 M33-2 | PSP Slim Silver = TA-085v1 - 4.01 M33

killahcheese is offline -Hacks Veteran

the buttons looked fake, doesn't match with the background

Gliz9 is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Well all I can say is where was this battery unbricker back when 2.00 was out? or even 2.60? I call fake.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast