Thread: OpenSource Portable? PSP Homebrew!

BlackAlex is offline -Hacks Newbie

Hello everyone, I have been apart of PSP Hacks for some time but I never actually got involved in the forums to posts my insights on the PSP, homebrew, and the hacks contained in general.... but here it goes.
    As redundant as it seems I would like to congratulate the co founders of homebrew for all of their hardware, with especially the legendary DaX who has left us but also left his mark, and left enough breadcrumbs to keep opensource firmware (open firmware with recovery) going.
    My views on technology that large coporations who have developed their place in the market place has came from a sort of "community" based software to a well known trusted organization that has slowly removed customizability to their software and hardware leaving it up to our own "cliques" to unlock. As a programmer I actually find it harder, if done right, to lock down a program compared to leaving it open and allowing end developers to help fix things up and also add better eye candy at their pleasure.
    Could we change the eye candy of the sony xmb icons from the box? Was there an option to customize plugins to the point of enabling ones and disabling others? No and .. no.
    Sony learn from what the Free Software Foundation is providing already for the computing industry. Learn what open source technologies is doing and how its more and more being embraced in todays marketplace. Even mope Sony if and when that Open Source portable comes out, the open source phone comes out, and more... Ill sell that PSP and get that open source portable, thus ending sales to your UMDs. How many more can I project that might follow? Probably a handful at first and then the handful will help get people to "open" up to trust more than big coporations.
    Unsigned eboots. I know the fear that is shaking now is the common issue of how that eboots are being used in relation to UMDs. There could of been a comprimise made to settle this back 2 years ago but instead all you see as a company is exploits and security invulnerabilites that would allow for a drop in UMD sells.
    Maybe reintroduce yourself to your developing opposing party and step outof that box. If that ever does happen we could help you improve the features on the PSP for selling pitches. Maybe even improve the functionatily of the PSP for UMD gaming. Its your choice Sony and yours alone? Do you want to continue to be the opposing party of the growing community? Or do you want to comprimise and work with some of these talented developers?

Well thats my two cents so with that said...
    God bless you all and have a good night.

Talidan is offline -Hacks Newbie

I completely agree. It works for everyone if a project is open source. As far as i've seen, there's little chance of cheap rip offs coming out on the market. irsmp3.prx for example received major overhauling and frequent updates as a result of open-sourcing a project.

However, i must say this doesnt always work. In the case of daedelus, strmnnrmn is pretty much running his open source project (though this is exceptional since it IS an n64 emulator which requires extra special knowledge).

Open-sourcing definitely removes competitiveness, and allows everyone to work for a single cause. It just needs the right fuel power behind it.

BlackAlex is offline -Hacks Newbie

Well because I dont want to disagree with your gun... i would say that you are right when it comes to emulation. Its a bit harder to do OpenSource on that but the fact that it is left opensource, it allows for other individuals to learn from his source code and either work on their own n64 emulator (i am sure i found a small project out there on the net thats not on psp-hacks.com).

As for that fuel, Talidan, the only thing that keeps this going is the challenge factor to keep it going. The adrenaline after the resistance to Sony.

I kinda think of this like America and drugs comapred to some nation who doesn't ban them. Yet that nation who doesn't place that restraint has a metnality at that point that there is no need to revolt and become radical and some develop an itolerance by nature because its not in restraint.

The psychology of our modern era, if you going to restrain something your going to create an opposition. Then its a choice of whether to embrace and comprimise with that group or just create a sort of competition.