Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My long story.

Fretless is offline -Hacks Smarty

My PSP has had a few tough months... Most recently (like, today) I tried to unbrick it, and was met with SOME success... From what I've read on these forums so far, I seem to be the only one who has done this thing right (I think) and not had 100% success.

All three times I've tried downgrading to FW 1.50 via the new Unbricker, I have had the same results. I press X when it says "press X to flash your PSP," everything goes smoothly, and the "writing files..." counter reaches all the way up to 100%, but right after 100%, I get the message "could not write system.dreg." After a short pause, the PSP powers off completely. When I turn the PSP on, I am met with the blue screen that, in many different languages, tells you to press O to restore the default system settings. When I press O, the system resets, the same error message (blue screen) pops up, and the process repeats.

It's a bit frustrating, considering this is the ONLY thing I've seen my PSP do for the past two months (save for powering on and off - talk about a one-trick pony).

So, in an effort to provide others with a more thorough understanding of my PSP's history, so that I can figure out exactly why the Unbricker has only been 99% successful for me, I will provide a few facts about the history of my PSP...

Using the GTA downgrader, I downgraded my PSP from FW 2.71 to FW 1.5. From there, I installed FW 3.03 OE-C. Then I went up to 3.10 OE, then to 3.40 OE. Everything was fine up until this point... I found a 32mb memory stick lying around the house, and since I wanted to see whether it was mine or it belonged to my brother (not that 32mb is even worth the plastic that holds it), I popped it into my PSP, not knowing what was on it.

Under GAME--->Memory Stick, I found a few strange files. They looked like GTA: LCS saves, but the PIC1 used in the EBOOT was of Mario (of Nintendo fame...). I believe I launced one of the three files I found under GAME--->Memory Stick, and the XMB reloaded with TWO NEW ICONS UNDER "NETWORK:" PSPTV and PlayStation Network, or something to that extent (PSPTV was definitely called PSPTV, but I'm not sure what the other one was specifically named).

Apparently, these files were used as part of a DOWNDATER that had to do with DevHook. My brother had apparently used the memory stick to downgrade another PSP to FW 1.50, long before the days of custom firmware... After the two new icons appeared under NETWORK in the XMB menu, I could no longer load PSP ISOs (although POPS and anything running through the 1.50 kernel worked dandy).

I used the RECOVERY option to downgrade (successfully) to FW 1.50, and then updated to 3.50 M33 firmware. Much to my dismay, those pesky new icons were STILL THERE under Network in the XMB menu, and I could still not load ISOs. I then downgraded AGAIN to FW 1.50 (using the RECOVERY option), and then went BACK to 3.40 OE-A. When I powered on again, those icons were STILL THERE. I then downgraded once more, and upgraded once more to 3.50 M33 firmware. Okay, the next thing I'm about to reveal is the single most stupid thing I've EVER done to my PSP.

Listen up, fellow noobs...

Using "toggle flash0 usb" and "toggle flash1 usb" in the 3.50 M33 recovery menu, I backed up the files from flash0 and flash1 in a WORKING PSP (PSP was running 3.40 OE-A) on my PC. On my PSP, I toggled flash0 on (USB), FORMATTED MY FLASH0 to FAT32, then dumped the files from the working PSP's flash0 onto my newly formatted flash0. I then did the same thing to flash1. After that, BRICK.

Then my PSP sat by its lonesome self until last night, when the Unbricker was released... I IMMEDIATELY started messing with it, and have spent HOURS on it between last night and right now. I had no trouble with the "msdformat" or "msinst" commands; everything was, to the best of my knowledge, set up correctly. Like I said: I got up to 100% when the screen said "writing files," then it said "cannot write system.dreg." I've tried the WHOLE PROCESS, from scratch, three times now, and end up in the same place. Turn on, blue screen, hit circle, system resets automatically, blue screen, repeat...

The second time I tried the Unbricker, I even downgraded my working PSP to FW 1.50 (with the RECOVERY feature), but to no avail... I'm running out of ideas. I guess for now I'll just keep trying the Unbricker over and over, much like my poor PSP trying to boot over and over.............

\"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing.\"

Erland is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Is the working one and the non working one the same motherboard?...

us pandora and make a dump of both...

then restore the working one's dump to the non working one. Including idstorage..

If that doesn't work then restore the non working with the nonworking with idstorage....so you get that back.....and then restore it with the working one's with out idstorage.

If that doesn't work...try this..

switch the 1.5 update.pbp with the 3.40 UPDATE.PBP and then run it. or with teh 2.71 UPDATE.PBP just make sure it's one you can personally downgrade

If you can get it to run 2.71 UPDATE.PBP then run HEN.D on it and run Key Cleaner and see if you can get it to fix anything wrong with the IDStorage..

try that and then let us know...but why isn't this in the help section.?
    Modded/Downgraded: Classics:65 | Slims:34 | UnBricked:6

PSP Classic Black = TA-079v1 - 4.01 M33-2 | PSP Slim Silver = TA-085v1 - 4.01 M33

Both motherboards are TA-079s.

I tried using the 3.40 update and the 2.71 update as the UPDATE.PBP file, and both didn't work. I then tried the 1.50 update again, and the same thing's still happening.

Is there any way to get into the idstorage from the state my PSP is in?

I chose to put this in "General" because although I am seeking help, I wanted to let others know of what I've done to my PSP so that they don't do the same thing. The moral of my story: if you stick a strange memory stick into your PSP, don't launch any unfamiliar applications. lol

I have come to the conclusion that my idstorage is muffed. It says in the Pandora's Battery README that this is something that hasn't *quite* been figured out yet. So I guess the unbricker doesn't work on PSPs with corrupted idstorage... :blush:

Will there be an update? You KNOW I'll stay tuned.

collon is offline -Hacks Smarty

Quote Originally Posted by Fretless
    Using "toggle flash0 usb" and "toggle flash1 usb" in the 3.50 M33 recovery menu, I backed up the files from flash0 and flash1 in a WORKING PSP (PSP was running 3.40 OE-A) on my PC. On my PSP, I toggled flash0 on (USB), FORMATTED MY FLASH0 to FAT32, then dumped the files from the working PSP's flash0 onto my newly formatted flash0. I then did the same thing to flash1. After that, BRICK.
    Umm.. im not sure if i make this point correctly.. You format your flash0 to FAT32? Was it originally FAT/FAT16? Mine was brick when i try to change the Home Screen. So i cant remember if flash0 is originally FAT/FAT16 system.. Check it then maybe you just need to reformat to FAT/FAT16 back.. ;)
    PSP HISTORY: Stock PSP 2.60->2.80->2.71->1.50(devhook)->3.30OE-A->3.30OE-A\'(Fixed idStorage)->Custom Theme->Bricked->Unbricked using Pandora\'s Battery->1.50->3.52 M33+Update 4
    PSP is a TA-082/86
    Key state: Chilly Willy soft-downed TA-082/86

Blood_breaker is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

The flasher formats them to what they need to be, as for the whole system.dreg the only answers i could find at qj, MC, and DCemu was to swap out the update for something else... go for a 1.51 or 2.0, 2.01 etc etc... that doesnt work try recovering that 3.40oe-a to 1.50 and making a backup of its nand image... with pandora and then saving that nand image. putting pandora back in broke psp loading it up and selecting to flash it...

"the devs saying "we are working on fixing this issue" well i'm working on having sex with Mandy Moore and Britney Spears
    at the same time, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen" ~Travisclees~

Heyman is offline -Hacks Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by collon
    Umm.. im not sure if i make this point correctly.. You format your flash0 to FAT32? Was it originally FAT/FAT16? Mine was brick when i try to change the Home Screen. So i cant remember if flash0 is originally FAT/FAT16 system.. Check it then maybe you just need to reformat to FAT/FAT16 back.. ;)
    As I remember I've seen in Filer (hb), the original flash0 system were either FAT or FAT 16, definitely not FAT 32.

Quote Originally Posted by Heyman
    As I remember I've seen in Filer (hb), the original flash0 system were either FAT or FAT 16, definitely not FAT 32.
    Yah, I know -- I usually don't make such a move without googling it first... But I did, and my bricked PSP is a sign that it was a HUGE mistake. As far as I can tell, there is no way to reformat the flash0 drive from the state my PSP is in. No custom firmware, no 1.50 firmware, no *other* firmware, and the Unbricker doesn't help (probably because of the idstorage issue). If anyone has an idea how to get into the PSP flash from the state my PSP is in, please shoot it my way...

OH, and I also tried doing the NAND dump-and-swap idea... For some reason, my bricked PSP cannot import the NAND dump from my working PSP. When I try, I get the simple error message, "cannot read file." Does NAND.BIN have to be in a certain folder on the memory stick, or at the root of the memory stick? I've tried with NAND.BIN at the root of the memory stick.

Heyman is offline -Hacks Newbie

I'm sorry to hear that dude.
    Well, I think sending it back to Sony seem like the only option you've got now. And having the Pandora un-bricker now it isn't too bad of an idea I guess. :P good luck!

irulagain is offline -Hacks Neophyte

Quote Originally Posted by Heyman
    Yah, I know -- I usually don't make such a move without googling it first... But I did, and my bricked PSP is a sign that it was a HUGE mistake. As far as I can tell, there is no way to reformat the flash0 drive from the state my PSP is in. No custom firmware, no 1.50 firmware, no *other* firmware, and the Unbricker doesn't help (probably because of the idstorage issue). If anyone has an idea how to get into the PSP flash from the state my PSP is in, please shoot it my way...

OH, and I also tried doing the NAND dump-and-swap idea... For some reason, my bricked PSP cannot import the NAND dump from my working PSP. When I try, I get the simple error message, "cannot read file." Does NAND.BIN have to be in a certain folder on the memory stick, or at the root of the memory stick? I've tried with NAND.BIN at the root of the memory stick.
    Try renaming NAND.BIN to NAND.FLASH

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast