Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody disappointed with quality of Slim?

hiredgoonz is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Now that I've had a few days to try the PSP Slim out, it seems kind of "chintzy." The weight difference is nice, but almost makes it feel cheap. With the original, it felt like you were holding something that was worth the money, a quality electronic device...

I like the Slim battery cover better, the original was always kind of a PITA to get on and off, but the UMD door and MS cover (well, actually the original MS cover was crap anyway) give me the impression of a knock-off, overseas import device like you'd see on ebay...

Just wondering what everybody thought....

PSP #1: Launch day Japanese running 4.01 M33-2 w/1.50 Kernel Addon v1
    PSP #2: Launch day US running 4.01 M33-2 w/1.50 Kernel Addon v1
    PSP #3: Silver Slim/Lite from 9/11/07 running 4.01 M33-2

freebeer187 is offline -Hacks Ninja

It feels cheap as fuk!

Rich is offline -Hacks Veteran

I thought that just by looking at it, that the type of cover on the back made it look cheap. It looks too shiny, compared to the moderate fat psp backplate.

richluk is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

I'll stick with my phat psp, only new in slim is tv out, you can play PS2 in tv instead of PSP and better graphics

jibbz is offline Banned -Hacks Titan

it does feel a bit cheap .... the UMD tray sucks ...... but im loving the TV out ..... since i got the cable ive been playing it on the big screen everyday

Skv0ra is offline -Hacks Veteran

All of you are wrong. TV out = you don't waste your eyes all the time, its a good thing. If I could take my PS2 with me, I would.
    How does the new battery door looks cheap? The old doors got the outer thin piece that held em on broken off easily and then the whole thing looked busted up.
    New umd tray is better because it doesn't shoot the UMDs out, nor can you damage the lock to have to repair it.
    Weight feels good too, probably less tiring after prolonged play.

See, when a BAD system like DS gets a cosmetic upgrade, its fairly useless altogether. When a GOOD media-gaming system like PSP gets a cosmetic upgrade its good regardless of how small it is.
    << Blog, clicky ckicly!

hiredgoonz is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Skv0ra
    All of you are wrong. TV out = you don't waste your eyes all the time, its a good thing. If I could take my PS2 with me, I would.
    How does the new battery door looks cheap? The old doors got the outer thin piece that held em on broken off easily and then the whole thing looked busted up.
    New umd tray is better because it doesn't shoot the UMDs out, nor can you damage the lock to have to repair it.
    Weight feels good too, probably less tiring after prolonged play.

See, when a BAD system like DS gets a cosmetic upgrade, its fairly useless altogether. When a GOOD media-gaming system like PSP gets a cosmetic upgrade its good regardless of how small it is.
    Hmmm...opinions can't really be wrong...

To me, it looks and feels kinda cheap, whereas the original did not...

I even said I prefer the new battery door and although the weight difference makes it easier to play lying in bed, it also gives it a cheaper feel in my, and obviously a few other people's, opinions...

Shoots out the UMDs? Did you get the turbo PSP or something? I've never had mine fire a UMD anywhere :o

The TV-out is nice, although the main reason I have the PSP is for portability...I have ten console systems dating back to the original NES, but I'm hardly ever home, so it's nice to have the emulators in addition to PSP games...

Maybe the black or white Slims will look better, but even the finish on the silver one screams cheesy...

And what's with the shot at the DS?
    PSP #1: Launch day Japanese running 4.01 M33-2 w/1.50 Kernel Addon v1
    PSP #2: Launch day US running 4.01 M33-2 w/1.50 Kernel Addon v1
    PSP #3: Silver Slim/Lite from 9/11/07 running 4.01 M33-2

Skv0ra is offline -Hacks Veteran

Spring loaded anything is always worse, unless its absolutely necessary. New UMD system is just fine. As for cheaper feel, look at ipods- they're very simplistic and light, but hardly cheap. If an expensive and bulky gadget become lighter, its usually better. I doubt Sony bummed down the sturdiness to reduce the weight, so lets wait and see(or test whoever has the money).
    << Blog, clicky ckicly!

ArchangeL_1979 is offline -Hacks Newbie

The only thing I really liked about the new Slim PSP was that the D-pad and the triangle, square, circle, and X buttons are a bit higher (leveled) compared to the old PSP's buttons.

Like my PSP's D-pad and the other buttons are almost loose and looks kind of flushed down than it was before. But all in all, I still love the old PSP but than the new, feel like it is easily breakable Slim PSP. But if I didn't have my PSP now, maybe I would actually consider the Slim PSP! :D

IMHO!

Haxxor is offline Senior Member -Hacks Guru

I don't even have a slim and I can smell the cheapness

coaxes fellow dashhackers to follow

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast