Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Should I sell my PHAT for a SLIM?

Searingflesh is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Cause I've been thinking, and I don't really NEED 2 PSP's. So do you think I should sell me phatty for a slim?

Hero_Sky is offline -Hacks Smarty

do you "need" a slim?

Skv0ra is offline -Hacks Veteran

You will "need" a Slim, so do it while the community is clingy with their fat. Its value certainly won't raise.
    << Blog, clicky ckicly!

mahfood1990 is offline -Hacks Guru

if you play 1.50 kernel homebrews that hasn't been ported to the slim, and you care about them, then don't do it
    if you're only playing ISOs, PSX games and only Few homebrews that has already been ported to slim, then get the slim

just make sure you buy the slim before selling the phat, cuz you'll need the phat for installing 3.60 M33
    "In every time and culture there are pressures to conform to the prevailing prejudices. But there are also, in every place and epoch, those who value the truth; who record the evidence faithfully. Future generations are in their debt." -Carl Sagan

Aer_Mateo is offline -Hacks Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skv0ra
    You will "need" a Slim, so do it while the community is clingy with their fat. Its value certainly won't raise.
    You don't "need" a slim and don't mention the updates because as of 3.71 it is for both fat and slim so they already combined the updates for both motherboards so it would be pointless to discontinue to stop fat updates.
    A positive anything is better than a negative nothing....

Christservant06 is offline -Hacks Smarty

Trust me you really dont need a a PSP slim. If you get the silver one it bugs your eyes and there is not much that is different just that you can play your games on the TV. I say stick to your two PSP that you have right now.
    People want the truth but never want the scars.
    PSP Version 4.01 M33-2

Jsamp is offline Outa time -Hacks Titan

I would keep both if I were you. I have two phats and I am glad I have two. My friends that don't have a PSP will use my spare to play adhoc/infrastructure games with me. I plan on selling one af my phats when I get my slim tomorrow. I will still have two PSPs and I will never get rid of (at least one) my phat.

Anyone who thinks Sony will stop/abandon firmware updates for the phat is wrong. A lot of people could give a shit less about the slim. Those people will not buy a slim thus Sony will not make as much money from software by making everyone switch.

hiredgoonz is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Aer_Mateo
    Quote Originally Posted by Skv0ra
    You don't "need" a slim and don't mention the updates because as of 3.71 it is for both fat and slim so they already combined the updates for both motherboards so it would be pointless to discontinue to stop fat updates.
    Skv0ra is convinced that Sony is going to abandon the original PSP...

There is a possibility that game developers could take advantage of the extra RAM in the Slim, and there will come a point where you won't be able to play new games on the original PSP...

However, my understanding is that this extra RAM was added in order to cache from the UMD to improve load times/increase battery life and while it is likely that you could repurpose the extra RAM to enhance graphics, game developers generally try to appeal to the widest possible audience.

To design "Slim-only" games would cut their marketability quite a bit...it doesn't benefit Sony or the developers to go this route. Far more profit is made on software than hardware in the video game business (most of the time).

Comparing the two, I much prefer the look and feel of the original. The Slim just looks and feels cheaply made...just my opinion...

Some things to consider:

1) Does the TV-out appeal to you? Keep in mind you need a display capable of Progressive scan and the component cable for gaming on the TV...
    2) Improved UMD load times, do you play games from UMD?
    3) Charging over USB, nice convenience feature, but if I'm going to be tethered to a cable anyway...

Try one out and see what you think...
    PSP #1: Launch day Japanese running 4.01 M33-2 w/1.50 Kernel Addon v1
    PSP #2: Launch day US running 4.01 M33-2 w/1.50 Kernel Addon v1
    PSP #3: Silver Slim/Lite from 9/11/07 running 4.01 M33-2

Skv0ra is offline -Hacks Veteran

Not Slim-only games, but games for the system thats currently on the market. Knowing Sony, anything is possible, so I'd rather upgrade while its cheap than when it'll be more of a pain.
    << Blog, clicky ckicly!

Los
    Los is offline Senior Member -Hacks Monk

I saw somewhere that if you have the receipt for the Slim and put the Phat one in the box of the Slim, and return it, it's essentially a free upgrade. :mrgreen:

Xbox Live Gamertag & Playstation Network ID: Los255

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast