Thread: noob has an old 2.60fw TA-082 psp.. and needs some info

Buick is offline -Hacks Newbie

Ok the title almost sez it all :)

Iím a noob, I have a Phat PSP thatís stock 2.60 FW with the board that sez IC1003 (TA-082). I have had this psp for a long time and thought about modding it but never jumped in... Just done abit of lurking around the forums off and on. I attempted a search for some of the info I'm interested in, with no real definitive answers... so here it goes...

1. I understand that now anything is possible with my 2.60, ta-082 as far as downgrading, and custom firmwares... is this correct?

2. If I do go to a custom FW are there any things I wonít be able to do with my psp that I can now? I.e. play all UMD's, UMD movies, ECT...
    2b. will I be able to revert back to stock if need be?

3. Should I buy a bigger mem stick b4 I proceed? All I have is one, 1 GB stick

4. Are there any side by side comparisons of the different custom firmware flavors? Showing features, pro's cons?

Thanx in advance for reading this and helping a noob out :)

Horst Feratu is offline -Hacks Smarty

1. Yes, but you need either the unpatched GTA, lumines or pandora battery afaik.

2. Custome firmware has all the features and the abilities the original firmware has, plus the added custom firmware features

2b. Yes, thats of course possible, but there are some issues when you used a certain downgrader that modified your idstorage which might prevent you from going back to original FW without changing idstorage back (dont't worry about the term idstorage for now). Changing from custom custom to original FW is very uncommon as there is no reason to do so and nobody ever does it.

3. Size of memory stick doesn't matter at all. You shouldn't worry about that for now. Keep in mind that some ISOs are larger than 1GB though. I recommend at least 2 GB.

4. There is basically only one CF, the one from Dark Alex = M33. People argue sometimes about bugs in certain firmware versions, but for an ordinary user, custom firmware is basically bug-free. The newest firmware (released a few hours ago) doesn't allow most homebrew applications for now, but his will most probably be fixed in a few days.

I am involved in all those firmware stuff since march 07 (bought my PSP then), and its really interesting to follow all those developments that happen to CF.

this isnt ment to be a double post.. i just dont think it registered last time=
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

few more quick questions.. hopefuly the last till I do something stupid :-P or the answers i get make me ask more, lol

If im reading this all correctly.. http://calo-hacks.com/2.80downgrader.html in the 2.80-1.50DownGrade.zip readme.txt I dont need a copy of Lumines or GTA anymore, i can just update to 2.80 (without a UMD), then use a downgrader to get to 1.50 (without a UMD), then just upgrade to whatever custom FW i want (without a UMD)?? nowhere it mentions Lumie or GTA.. was it a typo O.o

Should I use this method?

Which Downgrader should I use? i found one at http://calo-hacks.com/2.80downgrader.html after going threw the post here in the stickys but the home page has news that is dated July 07, looks like a great site tho

if i am wrong and I still need a UMD, has sony updated "Lumines" yet so it wont work? I already have GTA LCS but its the one with the 2.60 update. I dont have a copy of lumines and was going to order it, but want to be sure I can do it with any one i buy..

thats all for now.. Thanx again

mahfood1990 is offline -Hacks Guru

you don't need any UMD it was probably a typo Horst Feratu did
    the only FWs that need a UMD to be modded are 2.81 and above
    you just upgrade to 2.80 and downgrade using the downgrader in the link you provided http://calo-hacks.com/2.80downgrader.html

or use the corruption-free one here http://www.psp-hacks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=93621
    it doesn't leaves mess in your IDStorage keys, but the regular ones do

though if you're going to use corruption-free ones either use the 2.71 or 2.80 downgrader
    the 3.03 one requires a GTA:LCS
    "In every time and culture there are pressures to conform to the prevailing prejudices. But there are also, in every place and epoch, those who value the truth; who record the evidence faithfully. Future generations are in their debt." -Carl Sagan

_vamp_ is offline -Hacks Ninja

you can also downgrade from 2.71 with the easy downgrade installer like i did

Δεν θέλω τα όνειρά τους για μένα

achilles is offline -Hacks Neophyte

Buick you and I are in the same boat...When I finally get mines I will do the same I'm planing on using the downgrader here at PSP-hacks.
    PSP Soon!!!!! I SERIOUSLY CAN\'T WAIT ANY LONGER!!!!!!

Ok i just got a Pandora Battery & Magic Stick made buy a buddy at works son, kids are great as long as i aint the daddy. I guess he told his kid about me feeling stupid with this thing since i modded his psx when he was little. I should have been smart and backed up all the data on the stick to my HDD but i was excited :) so i tossed the battery in and started the downgrade, then the update to M33-3.52, then the M33-3.52-4 update. everything seems to be working fine but i noticed some diffrences in the data on the stick.. i now have these files that were created today, not the 25th when everythign else was created.. is this a bad thing? Can i delete them off the card and put it away till i brick this thing one day? why were they created?

MS:\PSP
    \SYSTEM
    \BROWSER
    - historyf.dat
    - historyi.dat

MS:\kd
    - ipl_update.prx
    - lflash_fatfmt.prx

(btw i really miss the good ol days when soldering 7 wires to a chip & a spool of CD-r's made a PSX the shit)

edit: maybe i should create a new topic for this question O.o maybe in the " help section ", lol