Thread: Bloodhound.Exploit.166 in 2.80-1.5 downgrader

Reshuken is offline -Hacks Newbie

Well I don't know if anybody has gotten this thing, but I found to my surprise that a file (loader.tif) is detected as a trojan virus by Norton... don't start saying that Norton sucks and all that... I kinda agree, but I'm one of those safe net surfers that know what to do and what not to do to keep away from viruses, spyware, adware, whatever *ware, so no trouble for me or my computer. Heck, I even prefer Linux over Windows because of the lack of viruses and spyware, stability, flexibility, eye candy and much more, but meh, some things just need Windows like AutoCAD or hacking your PSP :lol:

Of course, nothing is wrong with my computer and everything works fine, but it's interesting how virus definitions are keeping up with this kind of thing. Makes me wonder if it was Sony, an employee or a real sucker, the one asking for it to be detected as a virus. Still, better safe than sorry so I will ask this: it's nothing harmful, right? I think it's there because it's a "hole" in the code, thus a vulnerability for the system to execute any code... the funny thing is that it refers to the iPhone and iPod Touch by Symantec and not the PSP. BTW, I used Calo's easy downgrader, but I believe that the "virus" is present regardless of that (because the file was specifically loader.tif)

Anyway, if anyone is curious enough, this is the page of Symantec's specifications and details about the "trojan":
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com...634-99&tabid=2

Dudeonline is offline -Hacks Newbie

I honestly would run it through another scanner if you can.

Code Red is offline -Hacks Guru

if a tif image has code in it other than an image it will pop as a trojan

Mike[dot]420 is offline -Hacks God

its the code that the downgrader uses.

there was a file awhile back that if it ran on a psp it would brick it. so virus scanners added that code as a virus/trojen.

since the downgrader uses similar code to connect and flash the flash0 the virus scanner thinks its the trojen

3.71 SONY PTF THEMES? CLICK HERE !![56k Warning]
    3.71 FLASH0/CXMB THEMES? CLICK HERE !![56k Warning]
    Installing a flash or cxmb theme? Click HERE !!

^ yeah, I figured that. If I remember correctly, this downgrader used an exploit found in the image viewer, right?

And I remember the virus that bricked your PSP, so the thing about the similar code sounds possible, although it's as Code Red says too: because the file it's not really and image, it is treated as a trojan. In any case, no harm done with this file because it's THE file with the code of the downgrader, so that must be it.

ZiNgABuRgA is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

The code _is_ harmful - it has the potential to brick your PSP...

Gah, antivirus programs are annoying (I suspect you partially agree). They even detect pwdump as an "exploit tool"... >_>

The code is harmful ONLY if you use it in a bad way and you royally screw up the installation process, but I understand what you are trying to say.

And I know what you mean about antivirus programs. For whatever reason they just pop up a lot of "infected" files that are "harmful", not to mention the use of resources... well I guess it's for those people that know nothing about how to keep themselves properly protected.

Anyway, I thought that this was kinda interesting.

Haxxor is offline Senior Member -Hacks Guru

Yea, my antivirus (AVG) didn't pop up with anything.

coaxes fellow dashhackers to follow

Mike[dot]420 is offline -Hacks God

i dont use a anti virus program their pointless. my pc has been on line and not shut off for the passt 6 months over 10 gigs in mp3s and not one pop up or spyware running in the background

3.71 SONY PTF THEMES? CLICK HERE !![56k Warning]
    3.71 FLASH0/CXMB THEMES? CLICK HERE !![56k Warning]
    Installing a flash or cxmb theme? Click HERE !!