Thread: Wht do we know about UMD

pr0pain is offline -Hacks Newbie

I hate "black boxes" secrecy begets tyranny, I bet everyone here dislikes black boxes as well, over on my website i just started http://hackingjournal.com/I posted a great write up on how standard DVD's are encoded, but my question is, since we are part of the PSP Hacking crowd, what do we know about how those damn disc are encoded.

Thanks

drmadcow is offline Senior Member -Hacks Guru

well I just assumed it was general knowledge they just take a normal DVD then shrink it with that machine Willy Wonka had and put some plastic shit on it. The gene wilder wonka was the superior willy

sepreath is offline -Hacks Veteran

It won't be anything fancy, seeing as they havn't released how any UMD burners.
    So we don't to know how to encode them, because we can't anyway.

I don\'t give a crap about your firmware history

replicat0r is offline -Hacks Veteran

there are no point knowing how its encoded... cause its pretty useless. umd is fail. and yea.. sony was pretty smart keeping the umd tech in a blackbox..it would be more useful to them if it isnt so phail
    PSP phatty: 1.5---->2.71---->3.03oe-c---->semi brick---->3.51 m33----> 3.52 m33---> $140
    PSP slim: 3.60----------------------------------------------->3.71 m33----> 3.71 m33-2
    <---woot! finally its done!

yermah1986 is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

the wikipedia page for UMD has some useful info. My understanding is that it is much like DVD but all content is encrypted with AES. though it does use a 660nm red diode as opposed to a 650nm that DVD uses

pr0pain is offline -Hacks Newbie

See I don't really see it as full of fail, I see it more as misunderstood, it holds almost three times the storage of a CD while it also has a protective case. But I don't care for Sony's iron grip on the patent on it, it kind of reminds me of Beta-max and ironically the Pro Duo with Magic Gate.

replicat0r is offline -Hacks Veteran

... its 2 fragile, if u put as much as a finger pring on it, psp wont read it... like my nba umd.. there was a couple of finger print inside the disk(due to shit handling) and the psp wont read...it will struggle to hold bigger/better games in the future... its like the gamecube dvd thing.. gamecube has a unique dvd thing.. u cant burn it, or buy it.. the sizing is awkward.. thats one of the main reasons gamecube died so fast...
    PSP phatty: 1.5---->2.71---->3.03oe-c---->semi brick---->3.51 m33----> 3.52 m33---> $140
    PSP slim: 3.60----------------------------------------------->3.71 m33----> 3.71 m33-2
    <---woot! finally its done!