Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wanna buy a PSP

mazinya is offline -Hacks Newbie

I was thinking on buying the PSP slim. I was in a dilemma between a pocket pc and the PSP and basically what i want is a device i can play games with, use it as a GPS, watch movies and browse the net a bit so the PSP sounded like it can provide me with that.
    a friend of mine is visiting in the usa and i want to ask him to buy it for me. before that i have a few questions plz:

1. how is the browsing experience on the PSP slim? im not looking for a PC browsing experience. checking my mails with it and browse some news websites would be enough. can i do that with the PSP with no major problems?

2. I read about firmware versions like 1.5 and version 2 or 3 something and that some things wont work with some versions. Im suppose to buy a regular PSP slim and then just upgrade the firmware or downgrade it?

3. I read about the GPS reciever. Is it already sold in the US? or still only in Asia? can i use any navigation software i want on it?

4. In my country im using 220v. is the PSP international voltage? will it also be possoble to charge it via my PC?

thanks for the answers. im kind of a newbie in this so i know i asked a lot of basic questions and ill appriciate if you can provide me as much detaild answers as possible

thanks in advance

Sparker is offline -Hacks Titan
    THIS LINE OF TEXT YOU ARE READING RIGHT NOW IS USED TO INFACT TELL YOU MY LOCATION OF WHERE I LIVE..

1. I never use the PSP online because I hardly to never get the chance to

2. most things you'll find on this site will work for only Custom firmware which is 3.## M33

3. dunno about a thing about the GPS

5. dunno what happened to question 4 but I'll ignore it, I've heard of USB chargers so that you can use your PC to charge.

Kab
    Kab is offline -Hacks Newbie

Yeah you can charge with pc using one of these type of cords

A good site to buy from for basically nothing

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8693

what about the internet experience? since theres no touch screen or keyboard, how am i suppose to browse?
    do i need to buy some kind of a version in order to be able to download games? or any PSP slim ill buy, will be able to upgrade-downgrade it? im confused about all this hacking versions.
    Any clue when will the GPS receiver get sold in the US?

last one.. can you recommand me on a reliable online place to buy the PSP slim in the USA? im gonna ship it to my friends adress so he can bring it with him. i saw a lot of dexter bundle and star wars bundle.. i dont want that. i want the regular PSP slim package and since i read the back leavs lots of prints, maybe while is a better option?

that_guy is offline -Hacks Ninja

IMO, browsing is not very good on the psp as you would probably expect. It would be alright for checking e-mails and other small things. You will find yourself getting frustrated trying to do browsing you would normally do on a PC. But it's is ok for small things.

GPS receiver was recently announced to be released in the US, along with the camera attachment. You can read more about it on the front page. There's a story about Sony announcing stuff for the PSP.

Sony has confirmed a GPS receiver and camera peripheral for North Americans; those are coming, “around the end of the year.”
    The USB charging cord thing is avaliable at game stores etc. It charges at a slower rate than the regular adapter, but apparently this is better for the PSP. I have no idea honestly and I don't even bother to charge via computer.

do i need to buy some kind of a version in order to be able to download games? or any PSP slim ill buy, will be able to upgrade-downgrade it? im confused about all this hacking versions.

and plz people, recommand me on a reliable online place i can buy it from. its sold out on BestBuy, circuit city and amazon.
    Any ideas where i can buythe core package?

As a noob in this PSP thing. will hacking it myself will be difficult process? i dot wanna screw it before i even used it

Demonchild is offline #thatguy -Hacks Titan

To download games, you need to be on custom firmware. You can only achieve this on a Slim via Pandora Battery (Extra work for you). Get a Phat. There's more homebrew compatibility and you can downgrade and mess with any firmware.

Guide for M33 firmwares | Install DCv8 |PS3 Hacking Thread

PSP: 6.60 PRO-B10 | PS3: 4.30 | Xbox: LT+ v3.0 [Li-On] | G2x: CM 7.2 Nightly
    Twitter

are there any guides here how to do the pandora?

EDIT: i just read im gonna need an extra PSP to do that.. maybe i should just not buy one cuz i dont see how im gonna hack it

im probably gonna take it to a lab so they will hack it for me.its gonna cost me about $30 but i dont wanna take any risks.
    once the PSP was hacked, will i need any pandora or other things like that in order to update the PSP when a new custom firmware is out?

Demonchild is offline #thatguy -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by mazinya
    im probably gonna take it to a lab so they will hack it for me.its gonna cost me about $30 but i dont wanna take any risks.
    once the PSP was hacked, will i need any pandora or other things like that in order to update the PSP when a new custom firmware is out?
    Nah. Once you get PB and install CFW, you can get rid of it. But, keep it as you may want to keep it as an unbricker for everyone's mistakes.. ;)

And, you don't need a second PSP.

Download Pandora GUI 1.5
    Download 3.71 UPDATE
    Download the folders of DCv3

Install Pandora GUI. Backup all your data on your MS. Leave your PSP in USB Mode.

Run Pandora GUI, and perform Step 1 and then Step 4. (Follow instructions from the GUI - restart and all that).

Once done, close the GUI, and extract the 3.71 UPDATE. Rename it to '371.PBP' and place on the root on your MS. (Where the PSP, MS_ROOT, folders are.)

Extract the folders of the DCv3 download, and move the folders (registry, vsh, etc.) to the root of your hdd. You have your Magic Stick ready if you did everything right.. :D

Now, getting the battery is twice as hard. You can either spend $20-40 and buy a Datel TOOL battery from places like Walmart or you can do a hard-mod to the Slim battery, or a spare one..
    There's tutorial all over the place to do this..

Guide for M33 firmwares | Install DCv8 |PS3 Hacking Thread

PSP: 6.60 PRO-B10 | PS3: 4.30 | Xbox: LT+ v3.0 [Li-On] | G2x: CM 7.2 Nightly
    Twitter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast