Thread: ??confused??

Nyte is offline -Hacks Newbie

Hey all....I've been planning on getting a psp for some time now, and doing a little research I found the official firmware & custom firmware...
    But I'm getting a little confused...what exactly are the differences? Dare I ask, which is better? I saw some auctions on ebay for both custom and standard firmwares...I worry a bit about getting a psp from ebay that has already been modified, but then, maybe it's better than having to figure it all out on my own.
    What could I do with a custom psp that a standard psp couldn't?

thanks,
    Nyte

BorisDBlade is offline -Hacks Newbie

Well, if you've done a little research into them both you should have an idea why they are different. Official firmware comes from sony and allows NO homebrew to be installed or run on a psp. Custom firmware allows homebrew apps to be installed or run on a psp. There are hundreds of homebrew apps out there that do what sony won't do, like a skype like program for the 1000 series psp, or a gps program, or being able to video at full psp screen resolution.
    Official firmware has it's own benefits and faults, as with custom firmware. But with custom firmware, almost anything is possible as long as someone can think and program it.
    If your going to buy a psp off ebay, do extensive research on the seller (lots of looters out there, can't trust 'em). You'd almost be better buying it from a retail store, then searching the forums on here for help. But SEARCH for your answers before posting your problems. Everyday on the forum there are repeat upon repeat of "how do I downgrade?" "how do I get pandora?". These questions have been answered time and time over.
    But if your looking to get into the psp scene, welcome!

CLLUTCH is offline -Hacks Veteran

custom firmware is better, id probably look into buying the psp from a retailer instead of from ebay tho

---------------------------------------------

popopola is offline -Hacks Guru

Custom firmware can do everything official firmware can but more.
    CFW is better because you can play backup PSP games, homebrew, apps, plugins, etc. Anything handy on a small handheld.

______________The Sons of a Battlecry_____________

souljah is offline -Hacks Smarty

w/cfw you don't have to buy games to play the game but u can if u want to support it:mrgreen:
    @PSP PHAT TA-081 1001 (01g):::2.83ofw -> 3.03ofw -> 3.50ofw-_____/\_____->1.50 -> 3.40oe-A -> 3.52 m33 -> 3.52 m33-4 -> 3.90 m33-2 1.5kv2 -> 4.01 m33-2...............5.00 M33-6 -> 5.50 GEN-D3 -> 5.50 PROMETHEUS -> 5.50 GEN-D3 Prome-4
    @PS3:::120gb SLIM OFW 3.60