Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Getting a Homebrew PSP

Grecko is offline -Hacks Newbie

Hey all, this is my first post on the forum here so I look forward to talking with some of you. After reading some threads for a while I decided to delurk in order to get some direct insight to a couple of concerns I have regarding homebrew PSPs. Basically the situation is I am buying my friend's PSP at the end of the month as something to have over the summer since I will be on the go a lot. I plan on using the PSP for gaming (PSP, PSX, etc), MP3 playback, and Wi-Fi internet/Adhoc multiplayer. She basically informed me that it is an original PSP (a fatty) that is already modded and comes with a 1 GB memory stick, charger, etc. Pretty much a fatty PSP in a box. I was just wondering if there is anything I need to know/do before buying this off my friend (like firmware version, memory card size limits, accessories). I am pretty much a noob to PSPs and whatever information I do know is from information I gathered on these forums and other websites. Any insight would be very helpful. If a similar question has been asked feel free to redirect me to where I could get an answer. Thank you very much!

HORiZUN is offline Senior Member -Hacks Guru

If you want music/psp/movies/psx you need more than a gig. Get a 4GB at least, they're pretty cheap these days.

Upgrade your firmware to 3.90 M33-3 with the 1.50 kernel addon. Easy installer is in Stallone's master thread.

For online gaming, you might want to get a headset. Not many games support it, but its handy for the ones that do. Socom/Syphon Filter wifi multiplayer.

Get some homebrew. emulators, apps, games, etc.

Cxmb is a nice addition for themes, and Content manager 1.8 is great for organization.
    PSP: 6.39 PRO B-7 - 8GB ProDuo | DSLite: R4DS - 2GB MicroSD
    XBOX: Softmodded - XBMC - 500GB HD | GC: XenoGC 2.0
    PS2: Memor32 - HDLoader - 320GB HD | Wii: HBC - CfgUSBLoader - 500GB HD
    XBOX360: LiteOn 83850c - LTPlus FW - 250GB HD - Gamertag = I Am HORiZUN

Thanks for the quick reply Horizun. I was wondering if more than 4 GB can be supported for all of my interests since I was reading that homebrew 1.50 supports nothing higher than a 4 GB memory stick. I'd plan on getting an 8 GB stick since I have a fairly large music collection. As for the whole gaming thing, I'm probably just going to play Adhoc with my buddies (we're all getting PSPs for a bus trip to NYC). Once again, thanks for the reply!

Alright, I don't mean to bump this thread or anything but I could sure you some expert advice. I just spoke to my friend's brother today who apparently knows a lot about PSPs. He basically told me he can sell me the PSP for $115 (CDN) which includes 3.80 M33 firmware, the USB cable, and a 2 GB memory stick. I was just wondering if this is a good deal at all. I would also like to mention that the LCD screen is slightly damaged as there is apparently a line of dead pixels on the PSP which were induced by him when he was trying to open up his PSP (I didn't ask). If someone could offer me some insight into this or let me know if I am making a good decision, please let me know. Thanks and take care!

popopola is offline -Hacks Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Grecko
    Alright, I don't mean to bump this thread or anything but I could sure you some expert advice. I just spoke to my friend's brother today who apparently knows a lot about PSPs. He basically told me he can sell me the PSP for $115 (CDN) which includes 3.80 M33 firmware, the USB cable, and a 2 GB memory stick. I was just wondering if this is a good deal at all. I would also like to mention that the LCD screen is slightly damaged as there is apparently a line of dead pixels on the PSP which were induced by him when he was trying to open up his PSP (I didn't ask). If someone could offer me some insight into this or let me know if I am making a good decision, please let me know. Thanks and take care!
    hmm... try to lower the price down if the LCD screen is bad.
    other than that, it's hacked so you won't have to get yourself into making a Pandora's battery and such.
    if you can live with the LCD screen I suggest you get it because it's not a very bad offer.

______________The Sons of a Battlecry_____________

Thanks for the quick reply Popopola. It's not a very bad offer at all. He originally wanted $125 and I offered him $110 so we eventually settled at $115. I am going to see if he can throw in the case for me as well. He did mention something about how he didn't know how to connect via Wi-Fi. Is it difficult to do so or is this just a cover up for something else damaged? I trust my friend and I know where she lives if anything goes sour but I don't want to get myself into a mess if I don't have to. Normally, I'd go the full way of buying a brand new PSP but I am strapped for cash and don't have the time nor resources to mod a PSP slim (I need this PSP within 2 weeks). Good to hear I have some expert support though. Once again, thanks!

Skv0ra is offline -Hacks Veteran

http://www.psp-hacks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=140033

If you're getting a Slim, get the extended battery for sure to double the life.
    << Blog, clicky ckicly!

Thanks for the reply, Skv0ora. I am NOT getting a slim PSP but that link you posted was quite interesting. Are those memory card adapters guaranteed to work with PSPs?

popopola is offline -Hacks Guru

well hope you enjoy your new PSP.
    once you get, you can easily slap on some ISO's (UMD games that you can put on your memory stick) and play.
    maybe down the road you could replace the LCD screen.

______________The Sons of a Battlecry_____________

HORiZUN is offline Senior Member -Hacks Guru

You can use any memory card size if you use a custom firmware. 1.5 only supported up to 4GB, but 3.90 M33 can use any size you get. I mentioned 4GB cause any psp game will fit (with room for more) and 8GB's are still pretty expensive.
    PSP: 6.39 PRO B-7 - 8GB ProDuo | DSLite: R4DS - 2GB MicroSD
    XBOX: Softmodded - XBMC - 500GB HD | GC: XenoGC 2.0
    PS2: Memor32 - HDLoader - 320GB HD | Wii: HBC - CfgUSBLoader - 500GB HD
    XBOX360: LiteOn 83850c - LTPlus FW - 250GB HD - Gamertag = I Am HORiZUN

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast