Thread: Fake mem sticks.. The difference?

pspjoke is offline Programmer -Hacks Guru

yea, i've never had or seen a fake memory stick so i was wondering what the difference was. the don't support magicgate right, that much i *think* i know. they don't work for somethings to right?
    also, magicgate. that a security thing right. like some kind of encryption? how does it work? and what does it do?

Demonchild is offline #thatguy -Hacks Titan

I don't know bout MagicGate, but fakes are known to just die out of you. You don't get the same performance and transfer speeds as real cards, and you can't make it to a Magic Stick unless you properly reformat it. On top of that, there are size fluctuations. 1GB can be like 900MB or something. (Just to give an example. Also, people can just trick you out your money by case swapping. Putting a 128MB in a 256MB case or whatever)

Guide for M33 firmwares | Install DCv8 |PS3 Hacking Thread

PSP: 6.60 PRO-B10 | PS3: 4.30 | Xbox: LT+ v3.0 [Li-On] | G2x: CM 7.2 Nightly
    Twitter

zergslayer69 is offline -Hacks Smarty

It's pretty normal for your stick to have actual less space than advertised. Like 3.60 gigs instead of the 4gb labeled on the chip. (That's how it is with hard drives at least) As for performance, I've compared a sandisk ultra II with my friend's super generic fake no brand 4gb mem stick. Transfer speeds to and from pc are very noticable, but actual gameplay....I wish I could say otherwise but I really didn't notice any difference in terms of performance.

Cheesymcsausage is offline -Hacks Smarty

If there are staple/rectangle like heat stamps on the sides of a 4GB Memory Card packet, does that mean its real? I used to have a 2GB but it turned out it was fake and broke. It had three circle heat stamps on each side though...

highwindscloud is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

had a fake 4 gig. worked great for about a year (minus the transfer times, OMG it took 15 minutes to copy jeanne de arc) but one day it opened and it never worked again. not even if i just put the bare motherboard in. likewise if that was to happen to a regular one, it would work. point is you get what you pay for and it last awhile. i actually planned on getting a fake 8 gig sooner or later theyre only like 40 or 50 anyway and it lasts for a bit, but my advice to you is to back up your saves once a week or something. you can always get a game back but redoing everything is the pits. (i'm doing it with loco roco :( )
    I can't stop coming!

Scorpus is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

I have a fake 2GB and it is excellent. No problems whatsoever.

And don't get a fake 8GB they have heaps of problems