Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My PSP hacking adventure.

enjia2000 is offline -Hacks Newbie

well i thought this was a good story and should be shared so here i go

I was surfing around the internet as i useally do when i came across a post for making a pandora's battery and i thought to myself "sweet, now i can go get a PSP and do some homebrew on it" so off i went to my local gamestop and asked the guy inside if they had any used PSPs, they said they did and show'd me a fat black PSP with a firmware of 3.4 so i picked that up for 129$ and USB cable and 2gig memory card. Back home i went to tinker with my new toy (i have never owned a PSP before this) so here i go and looking online at all the tutorials for making a pandora battery and making a ultimate magic stick. The first battery i open up and think i have found the right pin to disconnect, when i do and i get no constant green light when i realize "doh, i need two batteries" so off i went to the local wal-mart and got a another battery and brought it home too. i decide to keep the first battery as my main and hack the second one which goes a lot easier as the pins are easier to find and much larger (as far as pins go) :) so after much finelegling i think i have my pandora battery and a memstick properly formatted when i found out "crap i need XP!!" (i'm running vista) so i do the only thing i can think of and installed a virtual XP with VMware (i realize there might be easier ways, but this worked so i was happy) so after trying about 20 different programs in XP to make a magic stick i finally found a great program called "Pandora by MrDude" and it works wonders but i do have to skip the steps where it soft mods the battery as that is not needed with a hardmodded battery. so i plug in my pandora battery, the charge cable (because my battery shows 0% charge) and the memory stick created with Pandora by MrDude and turn it on... Then... Nothing, black screen and nothing has happened, i look back to the screen and look at a tutorial to see what i might have done wrong. about 2mins later i glance down and what do i see?? "Press X to install UPDATE" I begin to shake nervously, i reboot the PSP to make sure it's not a fluke and there it is again so i press X to continue and off it goes doing all sorts of installs and finally it gets to the end and shuts down, i put in my original battery in and start it up, just as nervous as when i began. What's the first thing i see? A bright blue screen telling me something is corrupt in 10 different languages, (i did not realize this was normal) so sadly i hit the O button thinking i'm back to square one when i notice it does not quite look the same. So i go and check my system information and there it is in bright white letter "System Firmware ver 1.50" I almost leap out of my chair as i have been at this for about 4 hours now, and rush and install 3.52 E33 then 3.93 when i realize i've made a huge mistake and installed the official 3.93 Update.. so back to square one i go but this time the pandora battery is not booting the UPDATE file so i take it apart to see if anything is wrong when "poof" magic blue smoke... i've just ruined a good battery. so back to Walmart to get another battery and bring it home and hack it when as i'm opening it up i pierce the side with my knife so when i plug it in all i get is a blinking orange light, so figuring i've ruined that one after about 30mins of messing with it back to the store i go to get my third battery at 40$ a piece. But this time i am super careful and make a really good looking pandora battery in my opinion. Also it turns out to my dismay all i was doing was missing a step in the stick creation process so i didn't even need to take apart my first pandora battery in the first place. Oh well, after being careful i've finally got my PSP to firmware 3.90 M33-4 and am very happy with the results as well as the adventure, also i'm bit of a guru now so i'm sure i'll be helping some noobs along the way.

Many thanks to MrDude and Dark Alex as well as everyone else in the PSP hacking scene.

Andrew

Searingflesh is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

It's amazing how someone with the right words can turn a story that's about something so boring, and turn it into something that sounds mind-blowingly incredible.

almost is offline -Hacks Guru

congrats man, but u didnt need to open up those batteries there r programs that make it pandora for u
    been gone awhile

ya it was a fun ride for sure, thanks for your comments. I'm sure i did a few things wrong but this was "Never used a PSP to homebrew 3.90 M33 in about 8 hours" and having tons of fun with homebrew apps now :P

Nacos is offline Senior Member -Hacks God

Coulda just used lumines to downgrade it... costs $10-20 takes 5 mins max..

spartin268 is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

yea i was gonna say the same thing.
    Hardmoding isnt that hard all you need is good soldeing skills and thats all to it.
    Your lucky you dident pick up the patched version

Embrace your dreams, and always protect your soldier honour!
    Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?

Masamune is offline -Hacks Member

You could run programs on vista in xp mode. Right click the shortcut/program and properties and there should be a tab with something like "compatbility"

Fresh Bryce is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

you should have ur own novel then a movie to follow it :mrgreenthumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by Fresh Bryce
    you should have ur own novel then a movie to follow it :mrgreenthumbsup:
    ya it was a thrill ride for sure, glad you enjoy'd it.

p0op is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Wow, this should be stickied in the help section as an example for all noobs to know that they must search and do something their selves before coming and asking for help on a subject that has been asked THOUSANDS of times before. Unfortunately, like all the other stickies, it will be ignored.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast