Thread: PSP's limits

Suapsycho is offline -Hacks Newbie

I was thinking about doing some programming because I find there's options missing from the PSP.

First, the shuffle function in Music >Play Mode option limits you to one folder at a time, so you have to listen to all the songs in one folder before it skips to the next one in alphabetical order. That sucks. It should go from whatever song you chose to another song from another folder, etc...

Also missing from the playback options is a Program function. I thought that's what Group Mode was, but it turns out that with Group Mode enabled, your music stops after the last song in that Group/folder.

There's other things I had in mind, but they escape my mind at the moment. My question is, are these options limited by hardware or software? If I begin trying to improve upon already existing firmwares or even creating my own, can these options be added? What are the PSP's limits in the Options department?

RolandHazoto is offline -Hacks Member

Hey just another thought:
    Every shell replacement I've found with a built in music player (IrShell, NervOS, etc.) has no shuffle function... I love having a shuffle function and back when IrShell was stable I used to have to resort to the XMB just to listen to music...
    Silver CAMY PRO GEAR™ DUAL INJECTION PSP™ faceplate: Hell Skull
    5.00m33-2 w/ 1.50kernel addon, 8Gb Card
    4Gb Card, 32Mb Card
    1Gb Card (primarily used for downgrading)

CadaverTriple6 is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

this should be in the programing section check there for answers off the top of my head all i can think of is 32mb of ram for phats and 64mb of ram for the slim, also 333Mhz is the max clock speed, sorry if thats not tecky enough.
    Nil Carborundom Illegitimi

PSP Official Glossery: Click Here

Cadaver are you following me? :twisted:
    4Gb Card, 32Mb Card

Actually, i think I wasn't specific. I'm wondering if the options are set by firmware or hardware. Can they be tweaked or added? Another one I thought of was the fact that , through the XMB, the only video format is MP4. Couldn't CFW support AVI or whatever without resorting to CPU based programs like PSPlayerMT or PMP?

There are plugins out there to add other formats...
    I'm not sure for video but I know there is one's out there for audio
    4Gb Card, 32Mb Card

h3nno is offline -Hacks Smarty

Yeah they defiantly lack codec support. I'd like to see a program like VLC player on the PSP.
    Black fat PSP - OFW 2.50 > OFW 3.03 > GTA:LCS downgrade to 1.50 > CFW 3.90m33-3 w/ 1.5 kernal addon > 4.01m33 > semi-brick > full brick > CFW 3.90m33-3. > 4,01m33-2 w/ 1.5 kernal addon and 4.05 visualizations.

Hacked: 21 Fats 12 Slims.

heh heh! CCCP! God, if my PSP could play MKV's! I would do some very unmentionable things! :twisted:
    4Gb Card, 32Mb Card

Erland is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Suapsycho
    Actually, i think I wasn't specific. I'm wondering if the options are set by firmware or hardware. Can they be tweaked or added? Another one I thought of was the fact that , through the XMB, the only video format is MP4. Couldn't CFW support AVI or whatever without resorting to CPU based programs like PSPlayerMT or PMP?
    If you have to ask these questions then I don't believe that you have the knowledge to write the programs needed.

The only way you are getting these option into the CFW it's self is to write your own custom firmware.

However you can write plugins that will allow you to have these music options. You are not going to be able to write a plugin that will allow the XMB to play anything. That is why PSPlayer exists. Most likely you will have to write your own music player to get those options as well or write your own firmware.

You can't really "add" to a firmware without remaking the firmware. However you can make a plugin that will modify the function of a section of firmware. You might be able to write a plugin that will change the current "shuffle" and make it do something else. You will not be able to add a new shuffle feature in there without moddifying the firmware it's self.
    Modded/Downgraded: Classics:65 | Slims:34 | UnBricked:6

PSP Classic Black = TA-079v1 - 4.01 M33-2 | PSP Slim Silver = TA-085v1 - 4.01 M33

If you have to ask these questions then I don't believe that you have the knowledge to write the programs needed.
    That's what the forums are for. Thanks.