Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Utopia Project INFO

Ryu
    Ryu is offline Super Mod of the Brood -Hacks Titan

http://lan.st/showpost.php?p=11148&postcount=18
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathieulh
    Ok, here is a little update :

I spoke with Silverspring earlier, here what was decided:

- The utopia official forums will be hosted ammoung the lan.st forums.

- The public release of utopia has been decided and will take effect as soon as I find time to setup the svn and forum sections.

- Despite the project going public, the project is not done yet, thus you cannot (yet) compile a whole kernel from the soon to be supplied sources. We are looking forward seeing people contributing to complete the utopia project.

What we do not know about yet is if utopia will use GPL license or BSD but it is likely to be BSD.

The svn will be readable by everyone but only a few trusted people will be able to update it (so people do not start messing up with the svn by deleting changes or adding irreveliant ones). If you want to contribute to the utopia project you will have to send your code to the forums where it will be added by the staff to the svn later. People who often contribute to utopia will be granted write access to the svn as well.

About the utopia project, for people who do not know about it yet, it is to be an open source kernel for psp dedicaced and optimised to homebrews and development. (the kernel is planned to use a little more than 1MB or ram, 2MB maximum)
    The kernel is to be fully documented as well and is planned to be divided in 2 parts, one for developers (featuring tools for debugging and development purposes as well as an sdk) and one for homebrewers to run homebrews.

What Utopia wont do/wont feature:

- Utopia is not meant to run Sony's code, thus current homebrews or games wont run on it.
    - Utopia will not feature UMD drive support of any kind.
    - Utopia will not feature any kind of DRM functionalities (at least this is not planned)
    - Utopia will most likely not feature any kirk engine support.
    - Wlan is planned but not a priority at this point.
    - No vsh or graphic interface of any kind is to be included in utopia or officially supported by the utopia project. Utopia is ONLY the kernel,
    if you want to code your own shell on top of it, feel free to do so.

The utopia kernel is NOT based on Linux, freebsd or any other opensource project (unlike uClinux for exemple) , it is based on the 3.71 IPL reverse engeneering. (and later on existing kernel modules reverse)

Once completed and stable the utopia kernel is to be implemented as a new operative mode in future custom firmwares.

Cheers :)

PSP 1.5 got on USA first day is was 1.5 NOW 4.01 M33-2 -> 5.00 M33-6(1.50 addon),
    Old PS3s: PS3 60GB FW:3.41(2nd ps3 YLoD, 1st, YLoD)
    New PS3:
    Slim 160gb 01-21-2011 Working
    was 3.40 OFW->3.60 OFW

2nd PSP : PHAT 5.50 GEN-D2
    3rd PSP : Sliver 3000 Starting OFW:4.20 (NEW bought NEW on 11/28/2010)
    It a good idea to have "Hide extensions for known file types" in Folder Options(under Tool) unchecked (turn on extensions)

3DS FC:0301-9790-8019

Nathanias is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Wow so it's like making their own OS for the PSP?

Not crappily porting something else but actually making something new?

I use games and stuff so I wouldn't switch but that's amazing
    Proud beta tester of both FuSa and BOXHEAD: PSP STYLE

almost is offline -Hacks Guru

so every psp will be able to run homebrew instead of making it for 1.50 or 3.XX kernels, instead they make it for Utopia kernel and it should have no problem running, thats what i understood, if that is correct, this is fucking awesome
    been gone awhile

Scotch is offline -Hacks Guru

Oh thats a hella good idea. 1.50/3.90/3.93/3.95/3.XX kernel bugs are a hassle.

Demonchild is offline #thatguy -Hacks Titan

Nice. But here's a question..

After Utopia, will M33 focus on Utopia over making CFW, or balance each other out?

Guide for M33 firmwares | Install DCv8 |PS3 Hacking Thread

PSP: 6.60 PRO-B10 | PS3: 4.30 | Xbox: LT+ v3.0 [Li-On] | G2x: CM 7.2 Nightly
    Twitter

Neo_burn is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

hmm interesting, i wish them luck on this.

- Utopia is not meant to run Sony's code, thus current homebrews or games wont run on it.

err, im assuming all homebrew/game code will have to be changed in order to run on this.

Xitherun is offline sleepy -Hacks Titan

hopefully, someone will be able to code a nice UI for this. I've always prefered the XMB over shells, so it would be nice if we could have an excellent UI.

almost is offline -Hacks Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Demonchild
    Nice. But here's a question..

After Utopia, will M33 focus on Utopia over making CFW, or balance each other out?
    im pretty sure theyll balance it out :mrgreenthumbsup:
    been gone awhile

CJpsp is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

sounds great
    I R Post Whore!!!!!!!!!!!!~not simular 2 spam whore

Spoiler:
    proud phattie owner:: phatiee=2.73<3.11<3.52<3.73<3.90<3.93<>dg 1.50 kernal 3.90 m33-3
    memstic=1 gig& 4 gig socomftb2=CJpsp socom ftb1= shadeslader

dsforsaken is offline -Hacks Newbie

correct me if im wrong but if it is not designed to run current homebrew and games, doesnt have UMD drive functionality and WLan is not a priority yet, why would anyone want this? Even after wlan is implemented people will have to wait for developers of previous homebrew to port all their stuff to utopia, and they wont be able to use any UMDs or run any iso's as they are based off sonys code... sooo no gaming? Im probably understanding this whole thing very wrong but shouldnt Utopia become just as good as sonys kernel and then improve upon it instead of cutting out features? I think the utopia project is a great concept but not being pushed out very well... Maybe i have this wrong, can someone explain it to me maybe if im mistaken?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast