Thread: Turning the PSP into the Ultimate Nintendo Emulator?

Gaben is offline -Hacks Newbie

Hey, just bought myself a used psp slim under the preconceived notion that it's absolutely amazing as a portable emulator. I got it with the custom firmware 3.71 M33-2 and everything i've done so far has been jolly good, dropping psp iso's into the memory stick and all of them working fine.

So i've researched what it takes to run emulators on the machine but that doesn't seem as easy as just running the psp images. So as I understand it some emulators(or all?) need a 1.5 kernel software and some devhook stuff for others. It's all very confusing, especially when the psp slim takes different software then the original psp and some emulators don't seem to have been updated in years.

So if someone could just clarify and make me a checklist, of what I should know and have installed in my psp to run roms of snes,nes and n64 i'd really appreciate it.

pspjoke is offline Programmer -Hacks Guru

well to start, most of what you research is probably incredibly old and outdated.

whenever you search for homebrew for your slim psp, make sure it says its for the 3.xx kernel or the 4.xx kernel(basically the same thing).

what emulators are you looking for?

snes9x is the best super Nintendo emulator.

Gaben is offline -Hacks Newbie

Thanks for the tip, successfully installed SNES9x TYL ME, it's great! What about the MSX, NES and N64? for my PSP Slim? Do you maybe recommend changing firmware?

pspjoke is offline Programmer -Hacks Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gaben
    Thanks for the tip, successfully installed SNES9x TYL ME, it's great! What about the MSX, NES and N64? PSP Slim? Do you maybe recommend changing firmware?
    oh yea, update to 4.01m33-2

MSX = sry don't use
    NES= i don't know if there is a slim compatible version, but nesterj
    N64 = complicated, theres the last official release Daedalus PSP R13. and theres also these 2 unofficial newer releases Unofficial Daedalus R14(Wally) & Unofficial Daedalus R14(Captain Morgan)

ALSO:

if you REALLY want to run an emulator that is old and only works for 1.50. you can install time machine which you can find here. www.dark-alex.org

40_ounce is offline -Hacks Monk

Here are some emulators that will work on 3.xx firmware and maybe 4.01m33 not sure though.
    http://www.psp-hacks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=118822
    And onother good place for emulators. http://www.qj.net/

replicat0r is offline -Hacks Veteran

lmao, devhook.. that was like EONS ago... the only thing psp cant run very well is n64, all other emulator are running at near 100% speed
    PSP phatty: 1.5---->2.71---->3.03oe-c---->semi brick---->3.51 m33----> 3.52 m33---> $140
    PSP slim: 3.60----------------------------------------------->3.71 m33----> 3.71 m33-2
    <---woot! finally its done!