Thread: [Tutorial] Complete Newb Guide to PSP Hacking

AcidScream is offline -Hacks Newbie

I. Introduction:

Hi, the following will be my attempt to guide a COMPLETE newb guide to someone who is completely new to hacking, specifically PSP hacking. I myself am a complete newb, so I thought, it takes one to know one. I couldn't find a link to post in the tutorial place, so I just put it here.. sorry im newb lol. Here are things that I have found out so far, their meanings, and what they are for, from what i've seen. If I am wrong, please correct me so that I can change it and make it a good guide. If you have any suggestions, by all means post it. Criticism is appretiated, because I am merely 12 years old. im still a little punk :twothumbs:. If any admin thinks it has the potential to be good enough to be a sticky, tell me and I will work on it more. ALL CREDIT GOES TO DARK_ALEX FOR BEING TOTALLY SUPER DUPER, AND TEAM M33. ALSO ALL THE GUIDES THAT TAUGHT ME THIS STUFF.

II.Terms

Homebrew and Homebrew Apps

I guess this means you can run hacking programs, and homebrew apps can be run on any memory stick as long as you have custom firmware (ty for correction).

Extract

Basically taking out the stuff from a folder, usually to send it somewhere else. For example, I can extract a Super Duper.zip (which means its zipped, and you need to unzip to look at whats inside) from My Documents to another folder called Super Extra Duper. The program I use for this is called AlZip, google it and download from altools.com or something like that.

Service Battery, Datel Tool Battery, Pandora Battery, etc.

This is probably the most important terms you will need to know.They are all the same thing, all these batteries do is boot your PSP (fat OR slim) into service mode, which is also recovery mode. This means that it will unbrick your PSP, allowing you to try and hack it again. These can be bought on ebay, hardmodded, or made using software if your firmware is low enough I THINK. Since it converts your PSP into service mode, this allows you to downgrade, which is lower your PSP's firmware to a version that is hackable, and lets you upgrade your PSP to Custom Firmware. Scroll down to see what Custom Firmware is all about. I saw in a guide, dont remember which, that a pandora battery is "a mix between a memory stick and a battery," and im like what the hell? So someone explain that please.

Despertar de Cementerio

Despertar de Cementerio, as far as I know, is basically what "pandora hacks" are, but for Slim. I believe it is also used to boot your PSP into service mode with a Pandora Battery, Datel Tool Battery, etc. It is also used to make a Magic Memory Stick.

Magic Memory Stick

You will need a Magic Memory Stick in order to hack your PSP. Its used to make stuff, like pandora battery making apps that will allow you to make your own pandora battery. I dont think you can do this if you have a version of Official Firmware thats too high to hack so far. You can't make a magic memory stick if it has less than 32mb or more than 4gb. Also, when you make one, make sure you save every file on it and put it in a folder on your computer because everything is deleted when you do it.

Firmware

Firmware is the operating system of your PSP. Its like windows for your computer. There are TWO types of firmware. Official Firmware, which is firmware made by Sony in which you should NOT update because you wont be able to hack your PSP, and Custom Firmware, which was originally made by the genius Dark_Alex and Team March M33 (Team M33) that is used to hack your PSP.

Flashing Custom Firmware

im not sure what this means, but i THINK it means put it on your PSP. For example, if you flash custom firmware on your PSP with a low enough official firmware version, it will upgrade to that official firmware.

Bricked, Unbricking

When your PSP is bricked, that means you messed up somehow and the PSP caught you hacking. This also means you didnt follow the tutorial right, and you will have to pay the consequence by spending money and buying a service battery to unbrick it. Heres a link to unbrick your PSP and do other stuff.

http://www.psp-hacks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=107107

Kernel

im not sure what this is, but I think its the version of firmware you have.. maybe? :o

Plugin

im not sure what this is, but i saw "you will need plugin 1.50" somewhere, dont remember where.

III. Hacking Your PSP

This is a pretty short procedure if you got the right stuff, but its pretty long if you got some bad stuff. Lol. I will list the obvious stuff, since this is a complete newb guide, i must. If your PSP gets bricked, or if you have a pandora battery, here is an easy way to downgrade your unbrick, downgrade your firmware, and install custom firmware. I think some of the tutorials

http://www.psp-hacks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=107107

First things first, the materials you will need. Some materials are needed at times, and some are not. It all depends on your PSP.
    -A Pandora battery, Service Battery, etc. IF: Your current Official Firmware is too high to downgrade to Custom Firmware.
    -A PSP Slim or Fat. IF: Obvious.
    -A USB Cable that can be conneceted to your psp or a Card w/e its called. IF: You need it no matter what, i dunno what a card carrier or w/e its called is.
    -Have read the above terms, or else youll be completely lost.
    -A Memory Stick Pro Duo, 32mb-4gb, no more no less.IF: No matter what.
    -A Battery for your PSP. IF: No matter what.
    -Some free space on your computer. IF: No matter what.
    -An extracting program, I think that the best one is AlZip, google it and its on a website called www.altools.net or something like that. Its free.
    -For the guide above, a PSP with firmware v1.50 (the lowest) or a downgradable v, just ask a buddy of yours or im not sure if this works use your warranty and they will send you a new one with not upgraded firmware. Just break your PSP and send it, IM NOT SURE IF THAT WORKS.

Thats one of the ways to do it. I believe that way is only for the PSP Fat, but im not sure. A way that was WAY easier for me is

http://www.pspmod.com/forums/psp-har...ew-method.html

The same materials are used, and the same terms. I havent hacked my PSP yet, im still learning, but im about to use that above link.

After you make sure you have what you need, follow the link above and youll be good to go. For me, it was rather confusing, but if you read the terms above it might help you a little. After your done hacking your PSP, out of any site (make sure its not a virus giving site) you can download games, I havent figured out how yet, and free music, videos, anything, for completely free. There are some people who prefer to have everything organized in one place, but that will cost those people $37. http://pspblender.com is a safe site, but is $37 dollars for a membership. They have everything there, and its legal, but personally, i prefer hunting down download sites for free. So far, thats all Ive learned, and I will edit whenever I got more stuff, thanks, and please leave comments!

RainMotorsports is offline Programmer -Hacks Guru

Okay i think we have like 100 of these and i know you dont like ours.... but this is totally the wrong place to post a tutorial. (EDIT it has been moved)
    Flashing Custom Firmware

im not sure what this mehttp://www.psp-hacks.com/forums/post.php?fid=12ans, but i THINK it means put it on your PSP. For example, if you flash custom firmware on your PSP with a low enough official firmware version, it will upgrade to that official firmware.
    You dont know what something means but your writing a tutorial about it?

It is officially "magic" when you can run homebrew apps on it
    Not true? You can run homebrew apps off any memory stick that works (not fake helps) as long as the PSP has CFW.

somehow and the PSP caught you hacking.
    More like you just plained messed up very little "caught"

What the freak is this? I have no idea what this means. lol
    If you dont know what homebrew is dont write a tutorial

I could quote anything here and say ummm why did you write it. Nice attempt not trying to flame you but you should just ummm... i dunno how to be nice with this. Leave the tutorials to the experienced and write one later when you can write one without saying you dont know.

Neo_burn is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

hmm just off the bat..i suggest putting some colors in there. maybe some pictures too so that it will grasp the audience's attention. Adding bold , italics, and underlines would also make it easier to understand.

Like RainMotorsports mentioned, make sure everything is correct..

Yea well, your not very nice =.= i had to freaking google every word you said in your guides cuz you dont explain what half of the stuff is. If you read it completely i asked you to say what it is so i can edit it, and the link was a typo, oopsies lol. Well, it looks like you have 101 of these now, and i sed that underline and bold stuff but it didnt come out. Im 12 dunno poop bout this stuff, trying to b helpful, how do you do colors? lol

RainMotorsports is offline Programmer -Hacks Guru

Quote Originally Posted by AcidScream
    Yea well, your not very nice =.= i had to freaking google every word you said in your guides cuz you dont explain what half of the stuff is. If you read it completely i asked you to say what it is so i can edit it, and the link was a typo, oopsies lol. Well, it looks like you have 101 of these now, and i sed that underline and bold stuff but it didnt come out. Im 12 dunno poop bout this stuff, trying to b helpful, how do you do colors? lol
    Im a very mean person, Ive only been in it 3 months I hacked myne with one of those have to google every word guides.

Google BBCode..... HAHAHAHA sorry

Lol ur right screw this what a waste of my life i cant believe i just did that i suck at making guides LOL....

Neo_burn is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

LOL alright its come to the point where i have to lock this thread. I'm going to put it into the general section. I'm not going to delete this because im sure you took your time to write this so it would be a shame if it got deleted. Like i said in my PM to you, spend some more time in the PSP world and fix this up when you feel your ready.

~locked~