Thread: is my thinking right?

grudz is offline -Hacks Newbie

Hi everybody,

has you all can see, this is my first post and just registered to this site. I've been doing alot of research these past few days and came to the conclusion that i do want a PSP; however, there is just so much information and so many websites to digest from that before i purchase it; id like to make sure that my thinking is correct. I am very knowledgeable when it comes to torrents, hacks, emulators, etc, but ive never read anything regarding PSPs before 3 days ago... i just would like to make sure before i buy something

- from my understanding, i can get the old (fat) psp or new (slim) and they are basically both "modifiable"
    - whats the difference between the sony firmware or a custom one? im assuming its because sony's firmware will "block" certain hacks? but i read in some places i should get sony's firmware
    - using "fake" memory cards are at my own risk, but the chances of screwing up my psp are pretty slim. Worse case if it does screw up, i can reset it with a pandora battery.
    - pandora battery is what you need to reset your psp? what else is it used for?
    - homebrews are customized games/apps/anything where people will use with the psp and to make them work, i have to be careful which firmware i have. the latest is 4.01 and it'll allow me to use homebrew or anything else
    - I should be using windows OS instead of what i have (Mac) since all the programs need windows

As i said, there are tons of websites with alot of info, im planning on sticking to 1 or 2 and this one seemed to be the most clear and has the most info; i did do my research and im sorry if the questions above have been asked a million times before.

Thank you

RainMotorsports is offline Programmer -Hacks Guru

There are a couple of utilities that work on mac. If you have Mac OSX and are at all skilled you can use the unix command line (since OSX is unix based) and use the Linux method to make the MMS. Seeing as how u can get a Genuine 4GB for 30-45 bucks and a 2GB for 20 or so I dont see a reason to risk a fake or a lexar. There plenty fo shit u cant do with a fake.

Feel free to IM me on aim yahoo or @msn.com if u want to talk more directly.

Fretless is offline -Hacks Smarty

Quote Originally Posted by grudz
    - from my understanding, i can get the old (fat) psp or new (slim) and they are basically both "modifiable"
    Yep. You can mod both. GUIDE: http://www.psp-hacks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=123302

- whats the difference between the sony firmware or a custom one? im assuming its because sony's firmware will "block" certain hacks? but i read in some places i should get sony's firmware
    Sony's firmware is cool, but custom firmware is cooler. Custom firmware is based on Sony's firmware and functions essentially the same way but with a few more things... Custom firmware enables homebrew of all kinds, playback of (most) PSX titles from the memory stick, and UMD game loading from the memory stick.

- using "fake" memory cards are at my own risk, but the chances of screwing up my psp are pretty slim. Worse case if it does screw up, i can reset it with a pandora battery.
    Hmmm... I don't think a fake memory stick can screw up your PSP, but don't hold me to that... I came across a fake one time, and every memory stick pro duo-capable device I plugged it into froze up but worked fine upon restarting. Just get a real one and you'll be all good. :mrgreenthumbsup:

- pandora battery is what you need to reset your psp? what else is it used for?
    With Pandora's Battery, you CAN reset your PSP... I fixed a bricked PSP of mine with Pandora's Battery. You can also use it to install custom firmware or downgrade (FOR FAT PSPs ONLY) all the way back to Sony firmware 1.50.

- homebrews are customized games/apps/anything where people will use with the psp and to make them work, i have to be careful which firmware i have. the latest is 4.01 and it'll allow me to use homebrew or anything else
    The latest SONY firmware is 4.05, if I'm not mistaken, and the latest CUSTOM firmware is 4.01m33 (based on Sony's 4.01). If you update to ANY Sony firmware, all homebrew will be useless.

- I should be using windows OS instead of what i have (Mac) since all the programs need windows
    RainMotorsports handled this one better than I can. :mrgreenthumbsup:
    \"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing.\"