Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: PSP MUSIC [FAQs!]

Sushruth Sulagod is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

1 How do I get music on my PSP?

2 I can't fit my music on to my PSP

3 My PSP won't show the music but still uses memory up

4 The file says 'corrupted', what's wrong?

5 What formats is the PSP compatible with?

6 What is 'Group Mode'?

7 What options can I have when listening to my music?

8 What is the Equaliser?

9 The music is too quiet when I have my headphones in, why?

10 The music sounds poor when going through the PSP speakers, why?

11 How do I get thumbnails onto my music tracks?

12 Is there any intended advantage to .WMA over .MP3?

13 Is it possible to enable WMA playback WITHOUT a wireless network?

ANSWERS:
    1. How do I get my music on my PSP? There are two ways to get music on your PSP. The first way is to connect your PSP to your PC via USB cable. When you have connected to your PC, on the PSP menu, go to Settings > USB Mode and press X (Circle if you're using a Japanese PSP). Your PC should recognise the PSP. The second option is to use a Sony 'Memory Stick PRO Duo' card reader. To do this, take out the Memory Card from the PSP (by pushing it into the PSP gently until you hear a click) and it will pop out. Place it into a card reader. your PC should recognise it immediately. Now, after going to My Computer and opening the PSP folder, you will see a folder called 'PSP'. Go into this folder and you will see more folders named 'PHOTO', 'GAME', 'SAVEDATA' and 'MUSIC'. If you do not se these folders I suggest you make them. Now, go into the 'MUSIC' folder. This is where your music will be put. All you have to do now is 'drag and drop' your music into this folder. Disconnect your PSP, and you will see that your music is on your PSP ready to be played! IMPORTANT! If you are on a firmware of 2.80 or above, the directory for music is different! 2.80+ MUSIC directory: F:\MUSIC.

2. I can't fit my music on to my PSP. This is quite simple. The only reason for not being able to fit your music onto your card is that you don't have enough space. A good sized memory card, to fit on a varied amount of music on is 512MB, which fits on an average of 10 albums (at 128kps). If you wish to fit on more music but you can't, simply delete or move any other data you may have on your card. This should clear up some space for your music.

3. My PSP won't show the music but still uses memory up. This is because you are saving the files into the wrong place. REMEMBER that the PSP will only display the music if you've saved it into the MUSIC folder in the PSP directory. It should look like this: F:\PSP\MUSIC\'Track-1.mp3' If you are using the firmware (or above) 2.80 the directory will be different: F:\MUSIC\'Track-1.mp3'

4. The file says 'corrupted', what's wrong? There are two reasons for this: 1. You are using the wrong format of music file. If you are using a music file that the PSP does not understand, it will count it as corrupted. It will not be able to play, and will still use up memory on the memory stick. 2. The music file itself has a bug in it. This can sometimes happen if the track contains static sounds in for a prolonged time, or the recording is of poor quality. Check to make sure that it plays on your PC before putting it on your PSP. "Some players can play corrupted/incomplete files. To really give a full check, make sure that the player gives a total time count. If it does not, then it will not play on the PSP."-thnx to demonchild!

5. What formats is the PSP compatible with? At present, the PSP is compatible with: * MP3 - Standard music format. * ATRAC3 * ATRAC3 Plus * WMA - Only if you update to 2.60 and enable it. * RSS - A little different, but on v2.70, the PSP is compatible with RSS feeds, allowing you to listen to streaming music such as radio stations via the Internet.

6. What is 'Group Mode'? Group Mode allows you to make different playlists. This could be for different moods, or even to keep different albums separate. To make a group, simply make another folder inside the MUSIC folder itself, so will look like: F:\PSP\MUSIC\Group1\'GroupedTrack-1.mp3'. (F:\MUSIC\Group1\'GroupedTrack-1.mp3' for 2.80+). You can make as many groups as you want, as long as they are all saved along side each other inside the MUSIC folder. You CANNOT make a double group. That is, making a group inside a group. The PSP will not display it on the XMB, and will still use up memory.

7. What options can I have while listening to my music? There are lots of different options while listening to music: * Repeat 1 - Allows you to repeat your current playing track. * Repeat All - Allows you to repeat ALL of your tracks. * Shuffle - Plays your songs in a random order. * Shuffle Repeat - Will continuously shuffle even after the last track has been played. * Group Mode - Will only play the tracks in the current Group. * Group Repeat - Will repeat all tracks in your current group. * Group Shuffle - Will only shuffle songs in current group. * Information - Will display the information of selected track/group.

8. What is the Equaliser? The equaliser allows you to change the bass and pitch of your music depending on the type of music you are listening to. There are four preset settings: * Pops * Jazz * Heavy * Unique You can only use this feature if you are wearing headphones. The equaliser can be changed by pressing the Audio button, found on the bottom right hand corner of the PSP itself.

9. The music is too quiet when I have my headphones in, why? If you are using the Standard PSP headphones, then they are going to sound quieter than they should. This is because they are capped to 90dB. This will make the music sound quiet. The best thing to do is to buy another pair of headphones that are not capped as low as 90dB. You will hear the difference.

10. The music sounds poor when going through the PSP speakers, why? Remember that they are only small inbuilt speakers, and are not the latest Sub Woofer bass speakers. Put up with it, or use headphones, as there's nothing to improve the quality of the speakers. You tend not to notice as much if you are listening to acoustic songs or song with little bass in them.

11. How do I get thumbnails onto my music tracks? If you are using groups (folders with tracks in), you can simply right click on the folder, and customise a picture to be associated with the folder.However, if you simply made a new folder, you will have to do it another way: A good way of doing it to a whole album (or individual track) is to select it in WMP (Windows Media Player), right click, and go to 'Advanced Tag Editor'. From there, click on 'Pictures', and add whatever picture you want to show up on the PSP. Should you want to make the same image show up on the whole album select the whole track list. If you are using WMP-11, you are able to 'Drag and Drop' album art from a foreign folder onto the 'Album Case Image' on the track list. This will add the album art to all tracks in that album and will add it to the folder in 'My Music' or the directory that your music is saved.

12. Is there any real intended advantage to .WMA over .MP3? There is no intended advantage over WMA to MP3. They are simply different file extentions used on different software packs. The only thing that will make either format any better is the bitrate it which the music is ripped. Some formats (such as WMA and m4a) in certain software applications (such as iTunes and WMP) have the option to rip music with a 'Lossless' bitrate. This is the highest bitrate that a track can be ripped and does not lose any sound quality from the original CD track. These tracks, however, are incedibly large in file size (a standard 4 minute track could be as much as 50MB in size).

13. Is it possible to enable .WMA playback WITHOUT a wireless network? To put it simply, no. To enable .WMA playback, you NEED a wireless connection. The best thing to do is either buy a router/dongle (for the long run) or simply go to a cyber cafe and ask politely. Another alternative is to go to the house of someone you know and borrow the connection. However, with newer homebrew enabled firmwares (3.03 OE-A/B/C), an option to enable WMA without the use of an internet connection has been added. Bear in mind this is ONLY for 3.03 OE-A/B/C.

OFFICIAL CREDIT GOES TO: [JAGFin1] from The Official Playstation Forum

http://community.eu.playstation.com/...0&message.id=2

PSN- Hummerboy--------ID:masterzrum@gmail.com

http://www.psp-hacks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=135480 ----PandorasGUI----
    http://masterzrum.googlepages.com/home ----PSP Conversion Into CFW----

M1557 is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Good thread.

Simply look at this demonstration image I have made: CLICKY This should sort out any problems with ripping.
    You forgot the CLICKY tho.

an option to enable WMA without the use of an internet connection has been added. Bear in mind this is ONLY for 3.03 OE-A/B/C.
    And im prety sure you can do that on m33 and any of the custom firmwares since OE.
    ::M1557::
    Taking Drugs To Make Music To Take Drugs To
    No One > Gives A Fuck > About Your Firmware > History

Scorpus is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Good guide. Although I do suggest that you number the questions at the start (instead of using *) to make it easier for people to match the questions to the answers

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpus57
    Good guide. Although I do suggest that you number the questions at the start (instead of using *) to make it easier for people to match the questions to the answers
    thnx for the advice itz done:twothumbs:

oh sorry dude couldnt get it on some prob here

M1557 is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Why would i have the image?

Your the one that made it. :|
    ::M1557::
    Taking Drugs To Make Music To Take Drugs To
    No One > Gives A Fuck > About Your Firmware > History

Seriously sorry:/

Demonchild is offline #thatguy -Hacks Titan

About 4 - Some players can play corrupted/incomplete files. To really give a full check, make sure that the player gives a total time count. If it does not, then it will not play on the PSP.

Guide for M33 firmwares | Install DCv8 |PS3 Hacking Thread

PSP: 6.60 PRO-B10 | PS3: 4.30 | Xbox: LT+ v3.0 [Li-On] | G2x: CM 7.2 Nightly
    Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Demonchild
    About 4 - Some players can play corrupted/incomplete files. To really give a full check, make sure that the player gives a total time count. If it does not, then it will not play on the PSP.
    thnx pal ive just added it up:twothumbs:

Neutrino is offline -Hacks Ninja

This is one spectacular copy-and-paste job. You could've given more credit than the discrete "frm OPF" line, though.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast