Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Noob's observation: Is PSP homebrew dev dead?

nipponese is offline -Hacks Newbie

Hey all,

A friend gave me a PSP yesterday, so today is my first day on the scene. After 14 hours of downgrading, upgrading, updating, and uploading, I am wondering if I missed the boat.

I acknowledge it's cool that there are people keeping up with the official firmware updates (Dark Alex and M33 guys come to mind... are these the same person?). The list of cool PSP utilities is endless.

But what's up the rest of the scene? Most evident to me, the emulator scene is basically RIP. NesterJ and Snes9xTYL haven't been updated this year. For this this was kind of a big blow.

So where is all the action? Am I paying attention to the wrong projects?

Xitherun is offline sleepy -Hacks Titan

eh. the scene is definitely not as alive as it was a year or more ago. there are still people working on a few things, and the only worthwhile emulator I can think of that's been updated recently is PicoDrive. the most alive thing of the scene as it is now is custom themes. The theme scene is more alive now, than it's ever been, but as for homebrew, it's terminally ill, but still holding on. but most of the most known Devs haven't done anything in a while.

Dark_AleX is really the only one who's stuck with the scene.

RainMotorsports is offline Programmer -Hacks Guru

Xitherun is right it is ill, and as someone else said sony is shutting us down (I think that was MaxMouseDLL on MC). No battery flashing and now pandora proof slims. Theres plenty of used units on the market and there should be enough for us already in the scene. But it is putting a hurting on it.

Emulators slowing down isnt anything knew as it took 5 years for a new release of epsxe which was a great great release anyways. snes9x is a pc port so most of the problems are psp related. If it doesnt work on snes9x for pc dont expect it to be fixed on psp as im sure the psp related problems would be priprity. But as said its not been updated.

And what did u do for 14 hours? SOunds kinda long todo anything lol.

nipponese is offline -Hacks Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by RainMotorsports
    And what did u do for 14 hours? SOunds kinda long todo anything lol.
    I guess you could say I didn't find these 'noob-proof' tutorials exactly noob-proof. Including the ones on the this site, most tutorials involve Pandora's Battery, the concept of which is not really broken down into noob language anywhere on the web. As an owner of a 100x series, it wasn't necessary to make magic stick or Pandora battery. It took me hours to figure this out. (Not to mention all these assholes on YouTube with cell phone videos, executing the open firmware upgrade like it's that's all there's to it)

These 'ultimate' tutorials are designed to be a kind of cure-all for every type of PSP, and don't always explain what the files are, or where files need to be on the PSP. For someone completely new, most of my time was spent in trial and error. In retrospect, it would have been nice if there had been some model-specific tutorials, but fuck it. I guess that was my hazing period. :cool:

Heh well if you did a downgrade from older then 3.50 I guess it could be messy with all these tuts around. From what ive read 2.80 is "easy". I did my slim by hard modding and using XP to manually make an MMS with DCv3. Had i known about grader it would have been slightly easier.

Phat owners need the pandora method if their higher then 3.50 though and if u brick too. Battery is 25 bucks (or make one) and sticks are easy to make. There is a couple of things u can do if u have a battery also but probably nothing youll ever want todo.

Scotch is offline -Hacks Guru

geez, you should've been around for Homebrew Idol. There was a crap load of homebrew coming out. The front page had new homebrew every day or two at times.

The scene is definitely a little slow right now, but thats how PSP hacking seems to go. We've just been in a slow spot recently. More homebrew is on the way and I can pretty much guarantee that.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorch
    geez, you should've been around for Homebrew Idol. There was a crap load of homebrew coming out. The front page had new homebrew every day or two at times.

The scene is definitely a little slow right now, but thats how PSP hacking seems to go. We've just been in a slow spot recently. More homebrew is on the way and I can pretty much guarantee that.
    Homebrew wont make the scene any bigger if the number of hacked/hackable units gets smaller. With many devs leaving and left it has slowed down. New and better homebrew keeps it fresh and gives us things todo with out PSP's. But as poop once put in his sig the only reason noobs hack psps nowadays is to play iso's. Same punks who download all their music for free.

I hope the scene continues. But it might oneday end up like the old hardware scene. Limited to hackable hardware but continues way beyond the production of the product. Nothign wrong with that and I hope after the PSP goes out of production it will continue on like many other brew and support groups have.

If the new slims get taken care of the scene wont slow down as far as new users are concerned there is certainly enough old hardware lying around for the time being to keep it going for a period of time. I was personally excited by the homebrew idol thing but only so much came out of it. It did have good results and things like that do encourage homebrew growth.

p0op is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Yeah, the homebrew community is practically dead. Only a few things flare up from time-to-time. Now, to the new people, it's all about playing their downloaded CSOs from some shitty public tracker -- No interest in the many possibilities the PSP offers.

Xitherun is offline sleepy -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by p0op
    Yeah, the homebrew community is practically dead. Only a few things flare up from time-to-time. Now, to the new people, it's all about playing their downloaded CSOs from some shitty public tracker -- No interest in the many possibilities the PSP offers.
    QFT.

all the noobs these days want is to play shitty PSP .iso games.

I bought my PSP about three months after launch, because my friend told me you could play Genesis games on PSP. and seeing as my Genesis' power cable stopped working, and they were basically impossible to find, this was a perfect reason to buy a PSP, and basically the only reason I bought it. Even now, I rarely play PSP games, cause frankly, they all suck, with the exception of less than five.

folklord36 is offline -Hacks Smarty

i got my psp to hack and mod i was interested in the iso's but mainly i got and hacked it for ps1 games and n64 and nes and sega games and i planned to open and mod it and i had the only decent umd on the markert at the time gta lcs psp games suck accept GTA lcs, G.O.W. spider man 3 is ok just cus i like swinging around the city I also liked juced 2 and manhunt and of course killzone thats about it for ok games on psp
    And you know it\'s serious When these same media outfits are spending millions of dollars on a PR campaign, To try to convince you they\'re fair and balanced, When they\'re some of the most ignorant, and racist people, Giving that type of mentality a safe haven, We act like we share in the spoils of war that they do, We die in wars, we don\'t get the contracts to make money off \'em afterwards! We don\'t get weapons contracts, *****!
    We don\'t get cheap labor for our companies, *****! We are cheap labor, *****! Turn off the news and read, *****! Read... read... read... \"Immortal Technique\"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast