Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: PSP-3000 LCD Screen Artifacts - New Screen Isn't Better!!

  
  1. #1
    djinnx052 is offline -Hacks Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    Exclamation PSP-3000 LCD Screen Artifacts - New Screen Isn't Better!!

    Ok so the PSP-3000 has been out for a few days now, yet no one seems to be talking about the fact that the new screen has some SERIOUS issues. Just look at these two comparison photos:



    It looks like it's interlaced, though it probably has something to do with the new subpixel structure (see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSP-3000_series ).

    You can see it in motion (with annotated photos) here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isC1IOhQt_A

    Gameplay footage:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cvoljxkYew

    Last edited by djinnx052; 10-20-2008 at 08:25 AM.

  2. #2
    cheewongken's Avatar
    cheewongken is offline -Hacks Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sneak, sneak, sneak.
    Posts
    1,347
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by djinnx052 View Post
    Ok so the PSP-3000 has been out for a few days now, yet no one seems to be talking about the fact that the new screen has some SERIOUS issues. Just look at these two comparison photos:



    It looks like it's interlaced, though it probably has something to do with the new subpixel structure (see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSP-3000_series ).

    You can see it in motion (with annotated photos) here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isC1IOhQt_A

    Gameplay footage:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cvoljxkYew
    And uh, you joined PSP-hacks just for this?

    I already saw this video a while ago...

    >> Has left the PSP scene. (But still visits!)

  3. #3
    djinnx052 is offline -Hacks Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cheewongken View Post
    And uh, you joined PSP-hacks just for this?

    I already saw this video a while ago...
    I'm not sure how, considering the video was only created 2 days ago...

    But yes, I did join PSP-hacks for this (though I've been visiting the site itself for well over a year), because I think that a large PSP community should be interested when the latest version of their favourite handheld gets released with a major hardware flaw.

    That's a bit like saying "Who cares about RRODs?" in an xbox360 forum.

  4. #4
    cheewongken's Avatar
    cheewongken is offline -Hacks Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sneak, sneak, sneak.
    Posts
    1,347
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by djinnx052 View Post
    I'm not sure how, considering the video was only created 2 days ago...

    But yes, I did join PSP-hacks for this (though I've been visiting the site itself for well over a year), because I think that a large PSP community should be interested when the latest version of their favourite handheld gets released with a major hardware flaw.

    That's a bit like saying "Who cares about RRODs?" in an xbox360 forum.
    lol by a while ago, i meant yesterday ago. i was browsing on youtube. my name on youtube is both cheewongken and r4rk1

    r4rk1 is my main.
    Last edited by cheewongken; 10-22-2008 at 01:48 PM.

    >> Has left the PSP scene. (But still visits!)

  5. #5
    Ryushi is offline -Hacks Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    22
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by djinnx052 View Post
    That's a bit like saying "Who cares about RRODs?" in an xbox360 forum.
    LOL

    Anyway, thats new.
    This makes me sure to wait for more info on 3k

    Edit: oh yeah, welcome to PSP Hacks.
    Last edited by Ryushi; 10-20-2008 at 02:20 PM.

  6. #6
    djinnx052 is offline -Hacks Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cheewongken View Post
    lol by a while ago, i meant yesterday ago. i was browsing on youtube.
    ah, fair enough then

    To be honest I've made my peace with it. The PSP-3000 does look a LOT better than the ghosting mess that went before it, so the artifacting issue is worth the tradeoff for the improved clarity and colour range. It shouldn't be a tradeoff we have to make though, and especially not without being informed about it before laying down another £150.

    Just want to help inform people on what they're buying!

  7. #7
    Stalvros's Avatar
    Stalvros is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    4,773
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    thanks for the update ^_^
    but that's just one game right?

    I mean.....
    actually i've also read the posts from some people where
    they say that the screen is UBER prettier and such -_-.

    So its like i just wanna see what im missing
    (Not getting a 3000, but just want to see what amazing
    changes there are)

  8. #8
    jibbz is offline Banned -Hacks Titan
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    X marks the spot.
    Posts
    6,860
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Sony don't plan on fixing it either
    PSP-3000 has a new LCD device with vastly improved picture quality, achieving a more natural and vivid picture than older models. By improving LCD response time to reduce ghosting, the horizontal-line phenomenon becomes more visible.

    Since this phenomenon is caused by hardware characteristics, there is no plan to fix it with system software update.
    http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/21/sc...-plans-to-fix/

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •