Thread: Is there any way to convert PSP's PMF files to a PC playable format?

Cyber Akuma is offline -Hacks Neophyte

Question Is there any way to convert PSP's PMF files to a PC playable format?

This includes with sound.

I tried following some guides that involve mplayer, but they are extremely convoluted and do not work.

They required me to seperate the video and audio stream into a raw format (which also made me lose the format).

On some videos it fails to demux the video and/or audio stream.

I then have to use a ps3 app to convert the raw AC3 track to Wav IF it worked

And then I have to guess the framerate to try to match it with the original framerate.

All this is IF mplayer was successful in demuxing both the video and audio.

A ton of work for an end result that is basically useless because I have no way of recreating the correct framerate.

I was wondering if there were any better/easier ways to do this by now. Preferably an app designed for working with and demuxing/converting/editing PSP PMF format video.

I am trying to encode the intros to DJ Max 1, DJ Max 2, and Star Ocean First Departure by the way. DJ2's video comes out corrupted and it can't extract the audio from Star Ocean.

Fd! is offline Banned -Hacks Titan

i think the first result will probably help u :rollseyes:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...earch&aq=f&oq=

cheewongken is offline -Hacks Veteran

if google doesnt help, look for this, in the psp-hacks vault. http://www.psp-hacks.com/forums/f134...o-avi-t159985/

>> Has left the PSP scene. (But still visits!)

Quote Originally Posted by Fd! View Post
    i think the first result will probably help u :rollseyes:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...earch&aq=f&oq=
    Of course I googled it first, but almost all the results are the Mplayer method, which I cannot get to work, or my own posts when I asked about this before on other forums.

Quite a lot of results about how to encode other formats INTO PFM as well, which is the opposite of what I want to do.

On top of these, most of these posts are 1-2+ years old, so I was hoping a better method had come along, especially since some newer games apparnetly have them in a slightly different format that dosen't work with the mplayer method, like how I can't extract the audio from star ocean's intro.

Quote Originally Posted by cheewongken View Post
    if google doesnt help, look for this, in the psp-hacks vault. http://www.psp-hacks.com/forums/f134...o-avi-t159985/

... thats the mplayer method, from 2007. And its more or less the same method that FD! just posted, from the first google result in his like..... in fact, I actually posted in that thread about my problems trying to encode these videos! My posts appear on pages 3 and 4 of that thread.

I can't get this method to work, it dosent extract the video right in some videos, dosen't extract the audio at all in some videos, and dosen't carry over the framerate information so im clueless when remuxing the video as any framerate I tried standard or nonstandard was too fast or too slow. The framerate of 29.97 suggested in that guide was not correct.

I tried asking about these problems before but nobody could provide an answer, so I gave up on the mplayer method unless the program had a serious overhaul within the last year.

Xitherun is offline sleepy -Hacks Titan

Thank you for trying Xitherun, but I am looking for a way to encode them, not just play them.

Also, while they played with that codec installed, installing that codec messed up my H264 video playback, all video encoded in H264 has a very very annoying logo appear after installing that PMF codec, AND they play slower.

It actually appears to be a hacked warez version of a commercial codec, I recognize that logo... its the elecard decoder.

I had to go through a lot of trouble to remove it so my videos wouldent play with that logo anymore. The codec didn't even work in any of my video encoding tools.

it worked with SUPER converter. the mencoder and mplayer thing, only some pmf's cant be converted, others can. eg = gta and dynasty warriors cannot, simpsons game can.

Hmmm, I tried asking on the doom9 forum and got this reply:

First of all, PMF files are MPEG PS with a header of 0x800.
    So for all the tools you want to use on them, remove the first 0x800 bytes. Use a hex editor. You'll see that the following data is: 00 00 01 BA, etc...
    Rename the file to *.m2p

Now you have the mux, inside there's a video stream (id 0xE0) of type H264 (mpeg4-avc).
    Use BBtools's bbdemux to extract the video part. Well any good mpeg demuxer will do the job.

bbdmux file.m2p 0xE0 file.h264

The result is an 'elementary' stream, ie. pure video. Some tools may complain that they cannot get the fps from it. Use 29.97 to specify it manually.
    You can play the h264 file with mplayer or vlc

The audio part inside the m2p mux is atrac3 (at3) not ac3!!!
    If you do

bbdmux file.m2p

you'll see the streams inside your file. I assume that 0xBD contains the audio part, but then there's a sub-stream id that you need to know to extract it.

Again, look for some good mpeg demuxer to 'explore' the stream.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=142944

Unfortunately, he kinda lost me after "I assume that 0xBD contains the audio part"

Does this help?

o.O

10 char