Thread: Is there a performance difference between the Phat and Slim playing Emu's?

tboot is offline -Hacks Newbie

Default Is there a performance difference between the Phat and Slim playing Emu's?

I've been looking for a moddable psp slim for a 100 dollars for several months now. I haven't been able to find any that were in decent condition... or any condition for that matter. I'm giving up hope with finding a slim at that price range and thinking of getting a phat unit despite my dislike for it's extra bulk, feel, appearance and screen.

What I want to know is if any of the emulators (Snes, Ps1, etc) run any slower on the phat psp than on the psp slim due to RAM differences? Also, how does the brightness of the phat screen compare to the DSlite? I'm content with the brightness of the DSLite, but have heard that the psp phat is quite dark and the slim is a huge improvement in screen quality. How true is this?

Xitherun is offline sleepy -Hacks Titan

RAM makes no difference in such situations, considering the ROMs you use in the emulators are all smaller then RAM.

Phats have 32MB RAM, and the biggest SNES ROM I've ever seen was 6MB.

Any PSX games you'll be playing will be on Sony's emu, so it's optimzed for both phats and slims.

and I think the PSX had less than 32MB of RAM anyway.

the only difference you'll notice, are loading times in PSP games.

as for the screen, I'm not sure how much of a difference. I had a phat since launch, and got a slim at launch and didn't notice anything.

Jsamp is offline Outa time -Hacks Titan

There isn't any difference that I noticed except load times are faster for PSP games.

cliche is offline -Hacks Neophyte

Phats are bulky but you can run those suckers over with a semi( well not really but you get my point) I have both, I mostly use my slim because it has the usb charge. So when Im at work I can just plug it into the computer instead of having to carry around the power cord. The emu's work the same on both as far as I've seen. . Super Metroid is as choppy on the slim as on the phat. .lol.

Yessy is offline Senior Member -Hacks Hacker

Not much really....
    The Slim is better though.