Thread: Sony affected by Piracy!!! Important

G-man is offline -Hacks Neophyte

Thumbs up Sony affected by Piracy!!! Important

Check out this link here:

http://www.qj.net/Smack-Down-devs-di.../49/aid/128459

So now about this article in the link, I have a few opinions I would like to put out there. Im not looking for any NEGATIVE responses, Im just explaining what my point of views are, That's all.

Okay, I can see what they mean about Sony not putting in enough work to premote the PSP and it's games commercially and the fact that "most games for it aren't really that good" (Can you say: Handicapped PSP wit lack of 2 analog sticks?). lol! forget dat I was joking. But why is piracy so high though? Is it because some of those who have hacked PSPs don't have the monet to buy the or fear that the game may not be so great so they stay on the safe side and download the game for free? or is it that they just don't care?

Apparently, Sony really isn't doing a wide variety of commercializing for the PSP and for the games that deserve the most attention, but the high piracy thing is hurting our favorite company even more in ways we don't even know of. The high piracy was what I was concerned about and another reason I put up this post.

And to let U guys know, I have 2 Slim 2000 models and a phat 1000 all hacked and I buy my UMD's even if I gotta import them. If im not too sure about a game b4 I buy, then I look @ it on youtube or the ratings, then make my decision. I just love to use it for all the extended features, media purposes and homebrew. Makes it feel like a laptop which I don't have.

Anyway, let me know what U guys think!!

mmmmmm is offline Senior Member -Hacks God

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent Benadiba in QJ report
    Also, the platform needs more ground-breaking games. Unfortunately, piracy is just too rampant to encourage devs to make games:

I think the piracy level is much higher. There's a lot of piracy on the PSP I think. I don't have numbers, but you see people playing on the train, they have empty carts, and this is a big problem.

If it's pretty easy to crack it down, then people won't buy the games, and if people don't buy the games, publishers won't make them - so it doesn't encourage publishers to make games.
    He must be mistaking NDSs of PSPs, psp dont use cartridges.

There were times when I thought sony were overlooking psp as they pushed out ps3, but now I do think the lack of consistently good releases is due to the amount of piracy, and its plain to see that it is a major factor in lack of developer support for the platform.

Something to consider when thinking about loss of sales;
    I have around 200 psp games in iso format, a lot of those have been acquired on impulse - "hmm, that looks ok, I'll give it a try".
    When I go to buy a game I take much longer to consider it, I usually read reviews and see what other players think of the title, or maybe try it on rental, if I had to purchase umds I would have maybe 20 to 30 psp games.

Every copied game does not equal a lost sale for sony and the publishers.
    ( ^^)b

Sparker is offline -Hacks Titan
    THIS LINE OF TEXT YOU ARE READING RIGHT NOW IS USED TO INFACT TELL YOU MY LOCATION OF WHERE I LIVE..

Actually I got a PSP because it was hackable, if it wasn't I wouldn't have one.

ditto, I got mine soon after uk launch because I had read about psp xploits on the web, but I might have got one eventually cause playstation is solid gaming.

So, the root of all evil is the Web of Folly.
    ( ^^)b

BCman is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

yup and another of these threads.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Portable
    Units sold Worldwide: 41 million (as of August 20, 2008)
    units that are hacked = maybe 1 million.

so, 40 MILLION ppl are paying for the games, sony can suck it.
    its sonys fault that 90% of the games thier developers make are complete shit and no one buys them.
    make good games and ppl buy them.
    Best-selling game Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G, 2.55 million (as of September 30, 2008)
    sony makes their profit from selling the hardware units(psps), games profits are just bonuses.
    sony still gets its base cost from ppl buying psps to hack and use them to their full potential.

piracy is just a reason for them to bitch and be a scapegoat and get the attention focused off the real underlying issues for the problems their having.....

Xitherun is offline sleepy -Hacks Titan

I bought mine shortly after launch, because my friend said you could play Genesis games on it. (nostalgia ftw).

I don't buy PSP games, because they're utter shit.

I bought Crisis Core, because it was good. I'll buy Dissidia because it's good.

what I won't do, is buy shitty games.

Fd! is offline Banned -Hacks Titan

I would say that we get one of these threads every 2 months, so...

lol @ repeated thread.

Its hard to estimate the percentage of psps that are homebrew enabled.
    We have about 100000 members here at psp-hacks, whenever I'm online I see about 20-30 members logged in and about 100 guests. So there must be around 3 times the amount of guests as there are members which would make a total psp-hacks user base of approx 400000. So 400000 x number of superior psp hack/mod sites should = a ballpark figure.
    ( ^^)b