Thread: mp4 formats

silent assasin is offline -Hacks Newbie

Default mp4 formats

I was just wandering that when i download mp4 format shows some of them say corrupted data on my psp i was just wandering why?

gregerson316 is offline -Hacks Guru

I believe that there are some formats of MP4 that the PSP doesnt support. Ive realized that before too. Just find a MP4 converter for the PSP and re-convert it.
    WHERE WRESTLING MATTERS!

ZiNgABuRgA is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Well, here's the details off the top of my head.
    PSP limitations for MP4:

Video
    - Codec must be H.264 (CABAC coding; unsure if CAVLC works) or MPEG-4 SP (I'll ignore the latter since it's rarely used nowadays)
    - H.264 limitations: main profile, level 3.0, max 3 ref frames (note, if you exceed the ref frame limit, the file won't show as corrupt, but it just won't play; if you hack the bitstream to force the PSP to play a video with >3 ref frames, it'll play with heaps of corruption)
    - max video resolution: 480x272 - PSP will accept certain resolutions above this (ie 720x480) but this is limited
    - audio must be LC-AAC. If using HE-AAC/HE-AACv2 with backward signaling, the PSP will play, though the sound will be crap.

There's probably a heap of other things - for example, I haven't bothered testing max framerates (PSP plays 29.97fps fine, so that's all that really matters), audio sampling rate (PSP supports 48kHz, little reason to go any higher) and various misc non-standard MP4 features (ie cmov header etc).
    A number of MP4 features the PSP won't support, however the PSP will still play them, but you just won't see the features.

In short, unless the video was specifically encoded for a portable device, it probably won't play on the PSP. Note that I mentioned "portable device" - PSP will probably play MP4s encoded for the iPod, though I don't have one to test.

silent assasin is offline -Hacks Newbie

thank you for your help.