Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does the Nintendo DS Beat Sony PSP in sales???

JoblessPunk is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Default Why does the Nintendo DS Beat Sony PSP in sales???

I can't wrap my head around it!?!

Yes the DS has more game titles than PS and the DS but what else can the DS do??

- The graphics suck
    - You can't watch a movie on it
    - They have more "games" but only a hand full of good ones
    - there is no easy way to listen to music
    - there is no CAMERA.
    - To browse the internet you need to buy a super card.

The only thing that I can see the DS has that the PSP doesn't is a touch screen... and PictoChat... (oh man I would buy it JUST for PictoChat :SARCASM: )

But seriously? I don't get it.
    The only way to do half of these things are to buy a super card. But why would you want do go threw the hassle?
    The screen is tiny, and the graphics suck.
    I couldn't even imagine watching a movie on a 256 x 192 size screen, it would suck!

the only REAL benefit is that it has a 19 hour battery life. But whats the point?!
    I'm not going to be playing a game with crappy graphics for 19 hours. Plus, the only time that I would be playing a game for that long I BET I could find a cigarette liter to plug in to or, omg, bring an extra battery so it doesn't die!

Please, if any of my statements are untrue let me know! I want to know why the DS beats the PSP in sales!

Scorpus is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

It could be because the DS is geared towards younger year levels and the PSP to older.

Because the PSP is geared towards older year levels less people will buy it because either they already have a DS from when they were younger OR they could just use their consoles and get a better experience.

JoblessPunk is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpus View Post
    It could be because the DS is geared towards younger year levels and the PSP to older.

Because the PSP is geared towards older year levels less people will buy it because either they already have a DS from when they were younger OR they could just use their consoles and get a better experience.
    Yeah, I guess its all about the consumer.
    For me the PSP is perfect.
    with all the software hacking and hardware moding you can make the PSP your ultimate all in one traveling device.

Anther thing that the DS has that the PSP doesn't is Pokemon.
    Even though the fads way out the window, my geeky older friends are always pumped about the new Pokemon game(can you tell I couldn't care less about pokemon? haha). I Bet that title alone I know makes up a huge percentage of DS buyers.

gunman121 is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

It's because the DS appealed to everyone. Alot of woman started buying it, with games like sudoki and tetris and other puzzle type games. If the PSP started advertising games like that, their sales would boost. It is the better system, and people would start to realize it.

It still is the best hand held gaming machine, the pandora hasn't reached the level yet to beat the PSP.
    Fat PSP: 1.50 OFW --> 2.80 OFW --> 3.50 OFW --> 3.80 OFW --> 3.90 OFW --> Pandora --> 3.71 m33 --> 3.90 m33 --> 4.01 m33 --> 5.00 m33-3
    Slim psp: 3.90 OFW --> Pandora --> Brick(Somehow?) --> DC v7 --> Still brick --> DC v7 format flash1 --> DC v5 --> 3.90 m33 --> 5.00m33-3

jibbz is offline Banned -Hacks Titan

I just think that the DS is more popular with female and younger gamers than the PSP. The PSP really does not have many girly girl games.

My 3 YO son loves his DS more than his PSP ( He is a massive mario fan ) and my Step daughter sold her PSP and asked for a DS for Christmas because she wanted Nintendo Dogs and other pet/vet/fashion related games that never seem to be released for the PSP.

Also by buying a simple flashcart playing backups, websurfing, music and videos are a simple drag and drop process that anyone can do .
    Last edited by jibbz; 03-10-2009 at 07:56 AM.

The brick is offline -Hacks Newbie

Look at the Wii as well, it sells to the casual gamer, or kids mostly. It has gimmicky controls. The DS has gimmicks with the touch screen. I think that if the controls are wave a remote or touch what you want, it's alot easiers the psp controls

Secret Dragoon is offline -Hacks Ninja

[(Pokemon + Mario)*(Design + Geared towards kids)]*Number of Screens

The result is over 9000~!

Sony can't win if they don't attract the kiddies I'm sorry.

Jsamp is offline Outa time -Hacks Titan

It could also be that parents are cheap and are spending less money on their childrens handheld. If the psp was cheaper than the DS it would be winning right now.

Secret Dragoon is offline -Hacks Ninja

I can see that. My parents bought me two slims (both were 189 at the time) before they bought me a 360 (which I still don't have)

p0op is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

The DS is winning because, as said before, it appeals to a larger audience. From high school stoners that sit around and play Pokemon all day to the soccer mom with 2 kids and rock hard hair from too much hair spray. Sure, it has probably 10x the amount of games, but how many of those are any good? Cooking mama? Nah. The PSP, also as said before, appeals to an older, more mature audience. It can do a lot more, but the high piracy rates and poor third party supports leaves most of that population uninterested. If the PSP did have more games, and released everyone spin-off they could like the DS, we'd be getting new games every week, but the quality of those games would suffer; we wouldn't get amazing games like God Of War anymore, but games such as Cooking Mama or Imagine Babys!

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast