Thread: PSP: Poor Solder Quality

over_clox is offline -Hacks Member

Default PSP: Poor Solder Quality

A few months ago when I got my first screwy PSP, in the process of trying to figure out why the UMD drive would go crazy sometimes, I discovered a grand total of 13 tiny beads of solder stuck to the resin on the board. Some of these beads were in extremely suspicious spots, like right between two surface mount component connections. I spent like two hours looking the board over to find all of those, and I flaked all of them off easily with a needle.

I think people should be aware of this so they might think to investigate the possibility of similar problems causing short circuits and various hardware issues out there. One or two beads of solder might be expected on occasion, but 13! WTF Sony?!?!?!

2 Phat PSPs: First went through hell, reassembled scrap parts from 2 bad PSPs. Second is practically new except a repaired battery clip, both running 3.52 M33-4, first clean install, second modded. No, not planning to upgrade either.

Mick is offline Coma -Hacks Titan

well u say u got a screwy psp so assuming u got it used was there still the warranty sticker on it? cause it could of just been sitting on someones desk, open, collecting flying solder.

fubarmalone is offline -Hacks Smarty

lets have it right...sony now use mig welders on thier mo/bo's

cmon...its a "screwy" un...someones ripped the arse out of it
    PSP1000-CFW-5.00 M33-6
    PSP3003-OFW 5.03>ChickHEN(R2)>(m33)
    PS3-(UK)-OFW 2.76-60GB(320GB)

Aaron*1 is offline -Hacks Guru

Clearly it's refurbished...
    Potato.

Yes, the PSP was refurbished, not by Sony (that I know of), but by me. The solder beads had nothing to do with me though, because I haven't have to solder anything on the motherboard yet. The previous owner was a skateboarder and broke the screen once in a bike mishap, so I don't really think there was much solder flying over his desk.

If I were to have refurbished the board (with all the equipment Sony has), I could have done a LOT better. How? Why? Because I'd CLEAN THE F***ING BOARD!!! There's NOTHING to it . . . just a pressure washer and an air compressor. Trust me, it works miracles on even the worst of circuit board contaminants. They put the boards through chemical baths and reflow ovens, I thought they already had washing as a final stage. I guess not.
    2 Phat PSPs: First went through hell, reassembled scrap parts from 2 bad PSPs. Second is practically new except a repaired battery clip, both running 3.52 M33-4, first clean install, second modded. No, not planning to upgrade either.

Aaron*1 is offline -Hacks Guru

Well I don't think Sony sell refurbished PSPs anyway...

Maybe somone had it before them? Or did it have the warranty sticker on it when you get it?

If it did then that was a shitty job on sony's behalf...
    Potato.

Warranty sticker? What's that? I rip those off of brand new stuff just to see what's inside! The warranty sticker means nobody has done anything fun with it yet!

Seriously, I don't usually even bother with stuff that already works and has never been disassembled, because that usually means I have to pay somebody for it. If however, I wait until someone halfway destroys it and throws it out, then I can get it for free or next to nothing and fix it for myself.

3/4 of the circuitry in my desktop computer was salvaged from Katrina flood waters. This includes the CPU, RAM, motherboard, video card, sound card, IDE hard drive cables, and fans. You think I care about a stupid warranty sticker? I don't even think to look for them. By the time I get something new (to me), there are probably like 5 things voiding the warranty already.

In the history of this PSP, I was the first one to disassemble it, but it still belonged to the previous owner at the time. It's since been passed along to me. Since the last owner was a skateboarder, I can only assume that over the time he had it, he must have knocked one or two additional solder beads loose, making for even more stray solder beads originally.
    Last edited by over_clox; 04-10-2009 at 09:23 PM.

p0op is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by over_clox View Post
    Warranty sticker? What's that? I rip those off of brand new stuff just to see what's inside! The warranty sticker means nobody has done anything fun with it yet!

3/4 of the circuitry in my desktop computer was salvaged from Katrina flood waters. This includes the CPU, RAM, motherboard, video card, sound card, IDE hard drive cables, and fans. You think I care about a stupid warranty sticker? I don't even think to look for them. By the time I get something new (to me), there are probably like 5 things voiding the warranty already.
    Hmm, that's actually really interesting.