Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: buying a used psp

s.gerrard is offline -Hacks Newbie

Default buying a used psp

Hi a friend of mine has a used psp for sale...

how do i know what software it is running, as i think to hack it it needs to be under 4.0 (sorry im new to this!) but how can i check what software it is?

Also i have seen a few going on ebay and people always seem to ask questions like this....

Q: Hi Mate! Can U tell me "data code" behind the battery (for example 8a 8c)? REGARDS
    A: hey! the data code is 8c.

or

Q: in the right side on the box, there is a circle. Is it black or white? ( under CEK) and the serial #. Is it beginning like this? S01-06....?
    A: The circle is black outline with white in the middle. The serial number starts S01-01.

why is that important? is this something to do with hacking the psp also?

and finally this psp im thinking of buying doesnt come with a charger, where is the best/cheapest place to get a car and house charger? can you just plug the psp into mains or do you have to remove battery and charge it in a seperate unit?

sorry for all the questions but as you can see im a complete newbie, so need all the help i can get! im also looking for the easiest way to hack my psp as after reading the guide is does look hard, so i want to buy the model/type of psp that is easiest to hack...

thanks

Demonchild is offline #thatguy -Hacks Titan

First, welcome to the club!

We need to know what type of PSP it is. Is it a Phat, Slim or PSP-3000?

Phats can be hacked regardless of firmware

Slims can be hacked if their starting firmware is 3.60 - 3.95. Units with 4.00 or higher cannot be hacked

3000s can't be hacked.

The date code simply represents the approx. time the unit was manufactured. This helps to tell whether or not it has a hackable motherboard (earlier date codes) as opposed to an unhackable one. (Later date codes)

Guide for M33 firmwares | Install DCv8 |PS3 Hacking Thread

PSP: 6.60 PRO-B10 | PS3: 4.30 | Xbox: LT+ v3.0 [Li-On] | G2x: CM 7.2 Nightly
    Twitter

Thanks for your reply mate....

Looks like he doesnt want to sell his psp anymore! so il be buying one off ebay i think. How reliable are used psp's (or does that just depend on how well its been kept?)

The one's on ebay mainly seem to be slim & lite psp's or psp 3000's....as you say a 3000 wont be hacked so im looking for a phat or slim an lite, but how do you know what firmware it is running?

Lot of the sellers dont list this, is there an easy way for them to find out, if i ask them the question?

like i said before i have read the guides but it didnt look easy to do this, what is the easiest way to hack the psp, as id really want to buy the psp model thats easiest to hack, even if it cost me more to do it...

again thanks for your help mate, much appreciated!

bs
    bs is offline -Hacks Member

If you want a sure-fire way of getting your hands on a PSP that is 100% hackable then you should buy a phat (100X), fyi the X just signifies the country the console was sold in.
    All phats regardless of firmware are hackable through the use of a Magic Memory Stick (MMS) and a Jig-Kick battery.

Onto Slims (200X), you could get one of these but it's slightly tricky. If it came in the box with Official Firmware (OFW) 4.01 or higher pre-installed then it won't be hackable. It gets a bit complicated here because you could find a 2nd hand slim that has OFW later than 4.01, but it actually came in the box pre-4.01 which would make it good.

Hopefully I haven't confused you too much ;P

I got really lucky on ebay.au recently, found a guy that bought a slim in Japan a year ago but never got to play it. After a bit of a wait, it finally came and it was in fsking MINT condition!

Also have a spankin new brite (3000) my GF bought me...it's good for charging batteries ^^

You can ask the seller to show you the current firmware by navigating all the way left and then:
    System Settings
    - System Information

GL champ
    (+[]+) 3.90 5 M6 55 G-D
    (+[]+) 5 5 + R+cfwe Temporarily Adopted!

again thanks for your help!

Looks like phat is the best way to go, to be gauranteed it will work, but as you say some slim & lites will work too, but finding out if it came in the box pre 4.01 is going to be tricky, isnt it?!

but if i ask all sellers this question:

can you tell me the current firmware, by navigating all the way left and then:
    System Settings
    - System Information

the seller would then be able to tell me what firmware it is running, for any psp...slim & lite or phat? (would this info be enough for me to work out if the slim & lite is hackable also?)

below im going to post the information that you typically see on an ebay listing, what i want to know is if from this info it is possible to work out if the psp is hackable? :

Detailed item info
    Key Features
    Console Type Handheld
    Platform PlayStation Portable (PSP)
    Color Black
    Gaming Type Multiplayer Gaming, Online Gaming

Processor
    Processor type MIPS R4000
    Processor Speed 333 MHz

Memory
    Installed RAM 36 MB

Display
    Display Type Widescreen TFT LCD
    Screen Size 4.3 in.
    Max. Resolution 480 x 272

Graphics
    Graphic Card Memory 2 MB
    Fill Rate 664 Million pixels/sec
    Max. Number Of Colors 17M Colors

Storage Type
    Optical Drive Type UMD (Universal Media Disc) Drive

Audio
    Audio Support Stereo Speakers
    Audio In Mic In
    Audio Out Line Out

Technical Features
    Communication Type IEEE 802.11b, Infrared, USB 2.0
    Expansion Slots Memory Stick Duo
    Main Controls Directional Pad, L/R Buttons, Start/Select Buttons
    Wireless Capabilities IEEE 802.11b, Infrared
    Input / Output Ports 1 x USB
    DVD Movie Playback UMD Movies Playback

Battery
    Battary Run Time 2.5 Hours
    Battery Type Rechargeable Lithium-ion

Other Features
    Parental Control With Parental Control

Dimensions
    Height 7.4 cm
    Width 17 cm
    Weight 0.28 kg
    Depth 2.3 cm

Miscellaneous
    External Color Black
    Supplied Accessories AC Adapter, Memory Stick Duo (32 MB), UMD In-pack Sampler
    Release Date 2005

is there anything in that listing that tells me if it is hackable or do i have to ask the seller to navigate into "system information" to tell me the firmware?

sorry for all the questions, and thanks for helping!

bs

Yes, how I explained will be able to show you what firmware the PSP is currently running.

lol sorry mate but that is just a generic paste pretty much all idiots on ebay use to describe the psp they're selling. Those are the tech specs for a PSP Phat(0.28kg) and no, unfortunately that's no way to determine whether it's a suitable console for homebrew :>

I get the feeling you're in Aus, either way, feel free to shoot me some ebay links in PM and i'll sus em out for you.
    (+[]+) 3.90 5 M6 55 G-D

Quote Originally Posted by bs View Post
    Yes, how I explained will be able to show you what firmware the PSP is currently running.

lol sorry mate but that is just a generic paste pretty much all idiots on ebay use to describe the psp they're selling. Those are the tech specs for a PSP Phat(0.28kg) and no, unfortunately that's no way to determine whether it's a suitable console for homebrew :>

I get the feeling you're in Aus, either way, feel free to shoot me some ebay links in PM and i'll sus em out for you.
    much appreciated!

no mate im from uk, but just havent got a clue what im doing lol but with a little guidance i usually pick things up qucikly, so im hoping to get my head round this!

so is a psp phat 0.28kg? how much wieght would a psp slim + lite be?

i have sent you a pm with a few from ebay, again thanks for your help mate!

bs

a phat is .28kg, pretty sure a slim is .19 ^^

don't be too disappointed if a memory stick happens to come with the console as a "gift" and it turns out to be fake
    (+[]+) 3.90 5 M6 55 G-D

lizzie01 is offline -Hacks Newbie

I don't know, mate. Would it be more convenient if you buy a new one? I mean what you'll get is a complete set, you don't have to worry about anything. I have never bought a used psp before. But then, if you find it more convenient...

RainMotorsports is offline Programmer -Hacks Guru

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie01 View Post
    I don't know, mate. Would it be more convenient if you buy a new one? I mean what you'll get is a complete set, you don't have to worry about anything. I have never bought a used psp before. But then, if you find it more convenient...
    Unless a store has had a slim sitting on a shelf for 6+ months buying a new one (if you can even find a new 2000) is like trying to buy an unhackable 1. Most stores are only going to have 3000's anyways.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast