Thread: how legal is...

sillyzombie666 is offline -Hacks Neophyte

Default how legal is...

how legal is putting custom firmware on a psp. i keep being told its elegal to charge some one to put cfw on someones psp. now i know its elegal to give them downloaded umds / download umds your self hence why i use a psp pretty much just for home brew and emulators (i actually own a bunch of the nes , snes and n64 games i use on the psp)

so pretty much i want to know how legal cfw is so if its not legal to load i can stop doing it, be cause no one is above the law.....covers bald spot

ZiNgABuRgA is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

This is a bit of a grey area in law and would depend a lot on the law where you live as well. Primarily, the main illegal part of custom firmware would be if it can be argued that you are circumventing a copyright protection system.
    The distribution of the custom firmware installer itself is generally not considered illegal (though this depends on whether it can be argued as a tool to bypass copyright protection).

sillyzombie666 is offline -Hacks Neophyte

ya thats my entire argument. usualy if some one asks me specifics of the umd use and what site to download them from i say sorry i can't help u.

but like today i was helping a guy n got some old nintendo goodies mortal combat and then 2 nes games STILL IN BOX, but the whole time i was paranoid like it was an under cover cop

next on spike, PSP CSI

wh1tef@ng is offline -Hacks Titan

Dark Alex said that although his work makes piracy easier because it enabled PSP owners to play copied games, this was not his responsibility.

"I think it is up to users to make the correct decisions about how to use my software," he said.

"I believe in the presumption of innocence, unlike the media companies."

There were many quite legitimate reasons why you might want to copy a game you own from its original disk, Dark Alex said.

"You can transport a number of games on a single memory stick, which is very convenient, and the games actually load faster. And most important for me, these games can actually be modified, allowing users to customise their games," he said.

"I've seen great things done in this area, like people changing the music of games, or making full translations into their own language."
    3 necessary things to do to be fit everyday
    Sleep
    Eat
    Xercise

ZiNgABuRgA is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by sillyzombie666 View Post
    ya thats my entire argument. usualy if some one asks me specifics of the umd use and what site to download them from i say sorry i can't help u.

but like today i was helping a guy n got some old nintendo goodies mortal combat and then 2 nes games STILL IN BOX, but the whole time i was paranoid like it was an under cover cop

next on spike, PSP CSI
    My general advice is to use responsibly. Many of these things are governed by "fair use" (does depend on where you live) - for example, copying music onto an MP3 player can be considered a violation of copyright, yet MP3 players are legal devices (and popular too).

From a personal perspective, installing custom firmware is fine, especially if you don't use it to violate copyright.