Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I think I know what sonys "good will program" is

reluttr is offline -Hacks Newbie

Default I think I know what sonys "good will program" is

Since everyone knows the psp go will have pc accompanying software called "Media Go" and basically this software manages all purchased apps, games, music, and ect on the psp Go.

This got me to thinking about the game problem, if you own a extensive collection of UMD's then there is a large chance you own a psp that can read UMD's to. All psp's can also be attached to pc via usb and do work with media go.

So this goodwill program of sonys will basically work like this, one you purchase a go and verify you own it with media go it will unlock a special feature that allows you to connect your previous model of psp and essentally "rip" or "verify" you own a game and grant you a digital copy. This is why sony called it a "goodwill program" because you do have the ability to just rent a game and get the digital copy since games do not "yet" have unique identifiers.

I also believe this program will indeed extend to releases after October 1st as well for people that prefer to have physical copy's of their games, however sony will put in a software identifier so you can only unlock it on one account. Also it is quite possible that online versions of games may be slightly cheaper so that the consumer would be more motivated to purchase the online version, thus saving sony money on packaging and preventing the possibility of someone getting the digital version of a game and reselling the disk.

This type of system would not surprising, especially after seeing sony's system with bluray movies containing digital copys for portable devices.

What do you guys think? If this is indeed the system sony has planned then they can count me in for a go, cause I got a pspphat for homebrew and I'm in the market for a new psp, and the go seems like the better choice since it has bumped up specs.

Last edited by reluttr; 09-01-2009 at 09:33 PM.

BeAkErOo is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

I think your idea is wrong, we will have to send them to Sony, Sony will send back a voucher for PSN/Media Go.

They can't expect someone who trades in their old PSP to have another one there to read the games, also people with broken, lost, stolen PSP's have games on UMD, they too will have no way of reading the discs. Do you seee the flaw in your suggestion?
    3DS: 4167-4567-3684

Mick is offline Coma -Hacks Titan

i agree with beaker. its a safe and sound solution for sony and im sure they would allow it in store aswell so you dont have to mail it in (just bring it to a sony store and get the dl voucher for it)

I don't see that working because the shipping costs alone would cost sony quite a bit of money. Not to mention they would have to process and repackage the disks that still work, which would cost more money. Then they would loose money because they would have to sell the disks that they could salvage as used.

From a business stand point the more intelligent option would to force the user to buy a 3000 or refurbished system if they do not have a working system and let them rip the games they do have, and take the minimal losses from dishonest users who rip rented or borrowed games.

Also it would make sense for them to use the disk signature system they already implemented on bluray movies to keep control games released after October 1st. The disk code would be linked to the PSN account granting the owner to the digital copy and physical copy. If the disk is passed on to a new owner and they register the disk, then it removes the game from the old account, meaning whoever owns the game controls the singe copy of the physical disk and digital copy assigned to that disk.

Also by allowing the user to rip a old game for private use then it does not matter if it is on the PSN or not, since they are getting the game directly from the disk. Then again sony does take the risk of loosing money, however it would be really marginal considering most of older games are no longer sold in stores anyways. Also remember they are calling this a "goodwill" program.

If they did it this way then not only would they draw in old users but new users who prefer a physical medium. However with having a physical medium you also carry the risk of loosing the game if the disk is stolen. But this allows the user to resell or trade in the game if they wanted.

Since Sony is redesigning the PSN just for the Go, then really the whole thing is a toss up for what can and cannot happen.

Will not happen, I think your thought process is severely biased by what you would like happen as opposed to what will.

From a business point of view making a customer buy another console just to let them take advantage of a 'good will program' is simply not good will. They would get slated by the honest customers who just wanted a few of their games to work on their new console if it were the case and on the other side of the coin they would not only get hardly any sales of games due to people simply renting and ripping but they would be putting a ripping tool into the hands of hackers.

No way.

If they user lost, broke, sold, or traded in their old console then it would be their fault. Sony is offering them the ability to buy a new 3000 or used latter system if they want their old games or the ability to have a physical medium of new games. If they user does not want to purchase a compatable UMD based psp, then they will just have to be satisfied with online only content. Or if sony puts out kiosks, then the user will jsut have to use it to get a digital copy.

My "thought process" is not biased at all, your just not reading what I am saying. All games released after october 1st would contain a identifier to where it can only be linked to 1 account, and if the disk is passed on so is the digital content. The original owner would loose the copy as well. This is how the majority of bluray movies work, and its obvious sony isn't out to reinvent the wheel, If they was then we would have a PSP 2 by now.

As for older games, sony would much rather just loose the minimal profits that they would had though digital downloads and just avoid the high cost to have the games shipped to them, cleaned, repaired, repackaged, and redistributed. Not to mention the older games would be sold for a very minimal cost due to the fact they are used. To sell them as new would probably result in a lawsuit. Not to mention there is a very minimal chance that the games would be repurchased, leading to even more heavy losses.

Not to mention by letting users rip games then sony doesnt have to worry about licensing to put the older titles on PSN. This also insures you will get 100% of your old library on the new shinny system.

Besides using another psp may not be the sole way to aquire the rip, they may have stations at gamestop and ect that rip to the console via USB to the Go, and you just simply backup the content via Media Go at home.

As for it being a hacking tool, that part is up to sony. First of all they could use fairplay to lock the rip to a specific PSN account, which is probably what it will do. On top of that I can guarantee you that the file would be encrypted, meaning it would be very difficult to just simply change ownership of the file. As for firmware hacking, well to be honest if the firmware is hacked then the battle is lost anyways, the homebrew community already has a great set of ripping tools and playing iso's seems to be first priority with all custom firmwares. Plus the console would have to be hacked to run the backups made with either the sony ripper of the homebrew ripper. So giving the community another ripper is the least of sony's fears.

When sony first said they was making a good will program they was fully aware people will abuse it and they will loose money. Matter of fact the represenative at E3 made it sound like they was just going to basically give us the older titles in a sense. Of course they wont give them to us directly, but if one was immoral enough they could indeed get games they did not own previously. Basically sony is giving the go users the choice to be good and only get the games they had, or be immoral and get games they did not own.

Also let me refer you to a definition of "goodwill" strate from google.
    "The excess of the purchase price over the fair market value of an asset. Accountants record this as a 'write off' in the financial report."

And the deffinition of "Write off" from google
    "concede the loss or worthlessness of something or somebody; "write it off as a loss""

So in other words, sony is writing any profits lost from immoral users.

I'm not trying to undermine or insult you in anyway, but I am just stating the holes in your idea as well. Sony just isn't going to take that huge of a profit loss just because of a few off the shelf titles. Not to mention it would be a gigantic hastle and waist of time for the consumer to have to ship in the game for verification, and then wait for a voucher.

I'm willing to bet that your idea will never take place. No offence but you're just looking at things wrong.

I'd love your idea to be right, I'd never buy a game from Sony, ever.

Jsamp is offline Outa time -Hacks Titan

It would be to easy for people to pirate games like that. Sony is not stupid. They have something else up there sleeve.

I'm just hoping sony works out a fair system, surely they are aware for the most part the issue is 1. game availability online, and 2. proving ownership of a game, and 3. understanding that there is some users who want to buy the game in store instead of exposing their credit card online.

More than likely to settle #3, they will have "game card vouchers" for sale in stores, kinda like the ecronome voucher that came packed with the 3000. Although I would much rather prefer it if they did what I said and linked the digital content to the disk itself that way if I resell the disk then I loose the digital copy and it is passed on to whomever buys it, so that I could go ahead and buy the game and get the cool disk and packaging for collecting.

As for sending it in or trading in the game... if that turns out to be the case then I just wont get my old titles back, Because I do like collecting the game disks.

I just hope sony revels some new information about the system soon, because its really what decides if I get the Go or 3000.

Masteroid is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Lol. Sony not being stupid? Well... they got this far ! Anyway. I think the end result will be that you must turn in your UMD's for a download ticket. But then again. I would do that because that way I could then put it on my other PSP and not just on the Go I didnt read all you said.

Its best to try keep your posts short. There are quite a few lazy people here, me included!

Cant get enough of LittleBigPlanet? Come to the LBP Forum!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast