Thread: Want to be a video game tester - how?

animebeast is offline -Hacks Newbie

Default Want to be a video game tester - how?

Ok, i know this probably doesn't "technically" count as a PSP question, but I think it does =).

Anyway, I want to become a video game tester since I play them all the time, and getting paid for it would be da shit. But I don't really know how to get started with this, or where to apply, so if anyone could help me out and get the ball rollin, that'd be great.

I don't really care what I test - but I only have a PS3 and a PSP, so unless they're gonna like send me a system or something (pfft), then yeah =P. But if anyone could tell me where to go to apply for this or if I'm just gonna fail for not having anything besides a PS3 unlike my rich friend who has every freaking system, I'd really appreciate.

Please and thank you. =)

Also, just to say, if you're gonna direct me to one of those sites that make you pay to apply, can you tell me why they're good, cause I don't see why I have to pay =P.

Stinkee2 is offline Programmer -Hacks Hacker

I found >>This<< on google after searching "Where to become a video game tester"

Google is your friend
    "PM Oyabun a bunch of gay pr0n and you're in." - ...BeAkEr... (BeAkErOo)

Newbie_PSP is offline -Hacks Neophyte

It's way past my bedtime, so I'll just tell you straightforward:

BAD IDEA. Sure, playing games is loads of fun, but thats not what video game testers are playing the game four. They TEST the game. They developers chose a place and you're gonna have to play it over and over until you find a bug, then its on the next place.
    You get no credit, the pay sucks and the work hours are insane if the publisher is in a hurry.

Xitherun is offline sleepy -Hacks Titan

yeah, it's not all it's cracked up to be. You don't get payed to play video games, you get payed to test video games. Depending on your position, you play the same game over and over.

I have a friend who's a temp at Sony's QA, and he plays the same game for a week or two at a time, and has to write up loads of bugs, and classify them and whatnot.

if you're a first party tester, you play the same game for your entire contract, from when it's pre-alpha stages, to release.

nyr2k2 is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Man, you mean it's not like in Grandma's Boy?!?!? Who knew?

Ryu
    Ryu is offline Super Mod of the Brood -Hacks Titan

PSP 1.5 got on USA first day is was 1.5 NOW 4.01 M33-2 -> 5.00 M33-6(1.50 addon),
    Old PS3s: PS3 60GB FW:3.41(2nd ps3 YLoD, 1st, YLoD)
    New PS3:
    Slim 160gb 01-21-2011 Working
    was 3.40 OFW->3.60 OFW

2nd PSP : PHAT 5.50 GEN-D2
    3rd PSP : Sliver 3000 Starting OFW:4.20 (NEW bought NEW on 11/28/2010)
    It a good idea to have "Hide extensions for known file types" in Folder Options(under Tool) unchecked (turn on extensions)

3DS FC:0301-9790-8019

pspjoke is offline Programmer -Hacks Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Xitherun View Post
    yeah, it's not all it's cracked up to be. You don't get payed to play video games, you get payed to test video games. Depending on your position, you play the same game over and over.

I have a friend who's a temp at Sony's QA, and he plays the same game for a week or two at a time, and has to write up loads of bugs, and classify them and whatnot.

if you're a first party tester, you play the same game for your entire contract, from when it's pre-alpha stages, to release.
    have you done it b4?

Xitherun is offline sleepy -Hacks Titan

I tested Dead Space, and Sims 3 a few months before release, but it was just a one time thing, and I did no recording of bugs.

but my friend has ranted to me numerous times on this very subject.

BeAkErOo is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

If you have a way with words then maybe you'd prefer the job of a games reviewer?
    3DS: 4167-4567-3684