Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the PSP Go Sucks

Zero is offline Ad Man -Hacks Titan

Default Why the PSP Go Sucks

I'm tired of seeing praise from a lot of members about the PSP Go. The Go has got to be one of the worst piece of marketing around. But I wouldn't say that without reason.

First of all, just like the iPods, it's overpriced. It's maybe worth $199. But even that's hard to justify seeing as a full console like an Xbox 360 or soon the Wii can be purchased at the same price. You can go on saying "when you add the TV, etc, it costs more", but strictly talking as a system, it's a hefty price. The games also generally have shorter story, and, like we've seen from most PSP games, little replay value.
    They should have at least made it a full console and added a second joystick. Even if they made the joystick Just control the X, O, [] and /\, it would be great as it maintains compatibility with the old games, but would be a lot nicer to use in games that use the face buttons to look around (like Ghost in the Shell, Coded Arms, Star Wars Battle Front). They also should have added a touch sensitive screen. It could be used to navigate your PSP's home screen, and for switching through Music when the system is closed. It could also make for some PSP Go exclusive mini apps, just quick little thinks like a calculator, connect 4, small games like DSware to just screw around it. But they didn't.

Next is all on the online store. Why? It hurt the retailers. This is why you see a few companies (like EB Games Australia) not selling it.

When a company sells a system, there is no mark up and they make $0, NOTHING. Profit goes back to the console manufacturer. When they sell games, there is a mark up and they make a profit. Selling the games is the whole reason to sell the console in the first place. You know you may not get money from the system, but eventually you'll profit from the games you sell.

No games = no profit.

What's the point of them carrying it? Make Sony happy? Sell accessories?

And worst for us (the consumer) Sony will have a monopoly on their PlayStation store. It's the ONLY place you can buy games. They can charge whatever they like for their games. There will not be competition on pricing from other retailers, no "Best Buy vs Target vs Gamestop" pricing action happening. Retailers won't be competing to get your money. Sony will decide if they want to make a "sale", and the price they will charge.

I hope more retailers refuse to sell the system.

The PSP Go is to Sony what the GBA Micro was to Nintendo.

Discuss.

Last edited by Zero; 09-23-2009 at 04:34 AM.

Scorpus is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    And worst for us (the consumer) Sony will have a monopoly on their PlayStation store. It's the ONLY place you can buy games. They can charge whatever they like for their games. There will not be competition on pricing from other retailers, no "Best Buy vs Target vs Gamestop" pricing action happening. Retailers won't be competing to get your money. Sony will decide if they want to make a "sale", and the price they will charge.
    That, along with the ridiculous price (AU$450, or the same price as a Xbox 360 Elite) is the reason I won't be getting this console.

However, what we hopefully may see is a coupon system that enables game retailers to sell download coupons of games in the PSN, to increase competition

BeAkErOo is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

So I take it that you also refuse to buy from the PSN & Xbox Live Marketplace?

I don't mind paying for a few top notch games to play whilst I'm on the move.

The console looks sweet, has better hardware and is more portable than the fats.

It plays nicely with the PS3.
    3DS: 4167-4567-3684

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpus View Post
    That, along with the ridiculous price (AU$450, or the same price as a Xbox 360 Elite) is the reason I won't be getting this console.

However, what we hopefully may see is a coupon system that enables game retailers to sell download coupons of games in the PSN, to increase competition
    True the EU/AU pricing is retarded, you do get GT PSP with that but still.

I bought from Amazon, costing me AU$315 with rockband lite

Quote Originally Posted by ...BeAkEr... View Post
    So I take it that you also refuse to buy from the PSN & Xbox Live Marketplace?
    No, that's not what I'm saying. On PSN/X360, there are come arcade titles that you can only find there. And they try to make them reasonably priced.

But full games you can either buy on Xbox Live (like Mass Effect, Assasin's Creed, Rainbow 6) or you have the CHOICE to go to EB Games and buy it Used. Or Best Buy and by it new for $10 cheaper than what Xbox Live is selling it for. You have the ability to shop around and find the best price.

You also have the ability to not buy the Go. To instead buy a 3000 and purchase UMD titles from stores. It's all about choice. I choose to buy it and embrace it's portable goodness. You choose not to buy it and to crab it.

It's not about who's buying it, who isn't. It's mainly why there are retailers no supporting it, and the reason why. In a way, it is a rip off to the end consumer. But like anything you do have a choice to buy it or not.
    Last edited by Zero; 09-23-2009 at 09:31 PM.

gunman121 is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    I'm tired of seeing praise from a lot of members about the PSP Go. The Go has got to be one of the worst piece of marketing around. But I wouldn't say that without reason.

First of all, just like the iPods, it's overpriced. It's maybe worth $199. But even that's hard to justify seeing as a full console like an Xbox 360 or soon the Wii can be purchased at the same price. You can go on saying "when you add the TV, etc, it costs more", but strictly talking as a system, it's a hefty price. The games also generally have shorter story, and, like we've seen from most PSP games, little replay value.
    They should have at least made it a full console and added a second joystick. Even if they made the joystick Just control the X, O, [] and /\, it would be great as it maintains compatibility with the old games, but would be a lot nicer to use in games that use the face buttons to look around (like Ghost in the Shell, Coded Arms, Star Wars Battle Front). They also should have added a touch sensitive screen. It could be used to navigate your PSP's home screen, and for switching through Music when the system is closed. It could also make for some PSP Go exclusive mini apps, just quick little thinks like a calculator, connect 4, small games like DSware to just screw around it. But they didn't.

Next is all on the online store. Why? It hurt the retailers. This is why you see a few companies (like EB Games Australia) not selling it.

When a company sells a system, there is no mark up and they make $0, NOTHING. Profit goes back to the console manufacturer. When they sell games, there is a mark up and they make a profit. Selling the games is the whole reason to sell the console in the first place. You know you may not get money from the system, but eventually you'll profit from the games you sell.

No games = no profit.

What's the point of them carrying it? Make Sony happy? Sell accessories?

I hope more retailers refuse to sell the system.

The PSP Go is to Sony what the GBA Micro was to Nintendo.

Discuss.
    Alot of that makes sense. I can't agree with that though. I don't get the fad for ''touching stuff.'' It seems lik a 9 year old fad, why would you want to rub your fingers all over the screen rather then get precise control with an analog.
    Fat PSP: 1.50 OFW --> 2.80 OFW --> 3.50 OFW --> 3.80 OFW --> 3.90 OFW --> Pandora --> 3.71 m33 --> 3.90 m33 --> 4.01 m33 --> 5.00 m33-3
    Slim psp: 3.90 OFW --> Pandora --> Brick(Somehow?) --> DC v7 --> Still brick --> DC v7 format flash1 --> DC v5 --> 3.90 m33 --> 5.00m33-3

C4
    C4 is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Sony has always disappointed me when they introduce something new, or revamp something old because there's always a BUT. Watch vids on your psp BUT its gotta be converted to a psp specific format for example (that really got to me about 3 years ago).

But I've always bought sony gadgets and hardware because they have superior build quality and the overall experience is pretty spot on. Yes you gonna get bum raped price wise but the end result can be argued leaning towards money REASONABLY well spend.

except for the Sony Rolly which was overpriced AND a piece of shit.

I will get a PGO but will I enjoy having the system more than some unspent cash? well, if I dont get it then I'll probs blow the money on smokes anyway so... may as well have another dust collecting unit to play around on while I'm number 2ing it.

Mister Eff is offline Gone fishin -Hacks God

I disagree with you Zero. The PSP was $250 when it came out and no one complained about it. The go is $250 again as a starting price, and it will probably drop to $200 like the old one did and then continue like that.

Also, buying digital games is usually cheaper than buying hard copies. On top of that, if Sony adds that rental service it would be nice.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast