Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GEN over M33?

BlueLink is offline -Hacks Newbie

Default GEN over M33?

First off, I would like to apologize if this is in the wrong forum.

Second I have a question. I currently have 5.00 M33-6 installed on my phat. With the M33 team done with their firmware updates, I was looking into the GEN firmwares. Other than a higher firmware base, what are the advantages to having a GEN firmware over a M33? Are there any reasons that you prefer GEN over M33 or vice versa?

Also how far has CheckHEN come? I'm working on getting a slim, and was fretting if it had the TA-088v3 motherboard what I would do. What is the deal with the CFWEnabler? Does this enable M33 like options to the 5.03 firmware? Also CheckHEN is not permanent correct? If you reset your PSP, you will have to try again?

Thanks!

Irongladiator is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

My understanding is that you get support on all PSP ISO/CSO's and NO SUPPORT on anything that has to deal with the 1.50 Kernel, (i.e. Emulators or homebrew) I also have a Phat.

Lourde Incarnadine is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

GEN has access to the PlayStation Network Store, something that M33-6 is still locked out of.

There is also a piece of homebrew (put together by a member of the GEN team, I think) that allows you to modify 5.55 and 6.00 OFW games and run them on hacked PSPs; some games modified this way may work on M33-6, but more of them work on GEN.

The latest update to GEN, 5.50 GEN-B2, fixes the bug that made so much homebrew incompatible with earlier versions of GEN. I think there may be some that still don't work, though. All I've really tried are the ones that I use: Bookr, Game Categories Plugin, and popsloader. <_<

I've heard that M33 is more stable than GEN, less prone to crashing, but so far I haven't seen it crash yet. Only had GEN running for a few days, though, and I know there are plenty of apps and homebrew that I simply haven't tried. Hell, Blue Link, there's no reason that you can't give GEN a try and switch back over to M33 if you don't like it, phat PSPs don't have any problems with pandora batteries or magic memory sticks...

As for the 1.50 kernel, I'd imagine that there are some emulators designed for the slim PSPs that would work, since slims don't have a 1.50 kernel. Someone with more experience might want to chime in, though.

Regarding ChickHEN, it uses the system's RAM to set up a temporary state that allows the PSP to run homebrew (but not ISOs). The CFW enablers are temporary firmware versions, put out by both GEN and the MHU team (I guess they're remnants of M33?) that use ChickHEN to create a RAM-based CFW. Like you said, it won't stick past a reset, but that's a REAL reset; simply flipping the power toggle to put the PSP into sleep mode will leave the RAM CFW intact. In practice, you will only need to redo ChickHEN if:

- You hold the power switch for ~5 seconds, shutting the system down.
    - The system crashes from a game, piece of homebrew, whatever.
    - You let the bettery go dead. Like stone-cold-have-to-reset-the-system-clock dead.

They can do most of what their respective "for real" CFW versions can do: homebrew, ISOs, PSX games, etc. The only real downside is that ChickHEN itself can be tempermental sometimes; it can work the first time and refuse to work the next 50... about the only way to ensure success is usually to reformat the stick and throw ChickHEN on again. They also don't get updated as frequently as the "real' CFW versions, so AFAIK the GEN from an enabler won't have the expanded homebrew compatibility of GEN-B2.

ChickHEN and CFW enablers will not work on any OFW higher than 5.03. Do not update to 5.50 or higher OFW if you want to use them. Frankly, they're only for people with unhackable slims, the ones with the TA-088v3 motherboard. If you have a phat, or a PSP 2000 with an older motherboard, just go with the regular CFW instead. If anything happens, you have the pandora battery to fall back on.
    Last edited by Lourde Incarnadine; 10-01-2009 at 09:36 PM.
    Currently running: PSP1001 with 5.50 GEN-B2 + Mystic Silver PSP3001 with 6.20 PRO B-9 (perma-patched).
    Rooted HTC Droid Incredible 2, CyanogenMod 7 v7.1.0-beta1.

humansymphony is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Irongladiator View Post
    My understanding is that you get support on all PSP ISO/CSO's and NO SUPPORT on anything that has to deal with the 1.50 Kernel, (i.e. Emulators or homebrew) I also have a Phat.
    What homebrews even use 1.5 kernel? I would like to know this since apparently I'm missing out on it.

BlueLink is offline -Hacks Newbie

Thanks for the input guys. It sound like a good idea since I have a Pandora and MMS around. If I have some extra time this weekend, I'll give it a shot, especially since I was hoping to play Gran Turismo eventually, and considering it's a fairly simple process to patch/decrypt the game (the tutorial is on the front page even) from your UMD.

And dealing with the 1.50 kernal, I recently reflashed my PSP without the 1.50 kernal and haven't run into any problems yet. The only thing I ran into was the PSP filer app, but a quick search and a new version fixed that problem.

Lourde Incarnadine is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLink View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. It sound like a good idea since I have a Pandora and MMS around. If I have some extra time this weekend, I'll give it a shot, especially since I was hoping to play Gran Turismo eventually, and considering it's a fairly simple process to patch/decrypt the game (the tutorial is on the front page even) from your UMD.
    I'll be honest; I switched to GEN on my phat some out of curiousity and mostly because I wanted to play SMT: Persona. <_<

So far, though, I haven't seen a whole hell of a lot of difference between it and M33-6 except for the PSN store and the fact that the text in the recovery menu is green instead of red.
    Currently running: PSP1001 with 5.50 GEN-B2 + Mystic Silver PSP3001 with 6.20 PRO B-9 (perma-patched).
    Rooted HTC Droid Incredible 2, CyanogenMod 7 v7.1.0-beta1.

cyboargninja is offline -Hacks Member

the only apps i cant get to work on gen are bookr and apps that mess with your flash0 like wave, font, etc flashers. emus dont want to run on gen either. but most other stuff works
    my e-penis grows stronger with your hate

add to my rep if ive helped you

humansymphony is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

I don't know wtf you're talking about lol. Bookr and emus work perfectly fine. I also have custom xmb waves, icons, click sounds, volume bar, and battery bar. You must be doing something COMPLETELY wrong, sir.

mikzkie is offline -Hacks Neophyte

so how do you do it then? i cant install/use the custom xmb waves icons and etc

theEvilOne is offline Gone fishin -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by mikzkie View Post
    so how do you do it then? i cant install/use the custom xmb waves icons and etc
    You need CXMB for 5.50 GEN.
    http://www.psp-hacks.com/2009/06/15/...50-gen-a-beta/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast