Thread: What did/do you want to know about hacking your PSP? [Suggestions for a new guide]

LateNightLeon is offline -Hacks Smarty

Post What did/do you want to know about hacking your PSP? [Suggestions for a new guide]

So, I'm working on an all-around PSP guide/tutorial.
    I'm going to try and cover as much of hacking your PSP as I can.
    From what you need to installing CFW, to upgrading CFW, etc.
    I know there are a bunch of tutorials and such already out there, but I think I can speak for most for the new people (and some people that have been involved for awhile) when I say, "too many cooks ruin the broth" (translation: Too much varied info = Too confusing.)

I'm aiming to make a single, very in-depth, yet Newb-Friendly guide for anyone to be able to refer to, rather than multiple guides that you find yourself switching tabs through to get a general understanding of how to go about said task.

So, my question is, to help me better the overall outcome, as well as make the writing process go along easier, what do you people in the Hacked PSP scene want to know about hacking your PSP?

I understand that is kind of a broad question. But let's face it, the topic is pretty broad. So, rather than narrow down what I mean in asking that (which could accidentally cut out certain topics which I DO want to cover), I'll simply show you a difference in answers I'm looking for:

ACCEPTABLE SUGGESTIONS/RESPONSES:
    "I was confused in looking for the "best" method to change form official firmware to custom firmware. Should I use pandora or do I not have to?"

"What is a hardmod and softmod Pandora battery?"

"I had trouble figuring out how to upgrade from one custom firmware to another."
    IRRELEVANT SUGGESTIONS/RESPONSES:
    "How do I change the font on my menu in my XMB?"

"How do I make EBOOTs for my PSX games?"

See the difference?

Understand that I'm sure most of us here in this community already understand and know how to do a lot of things with hacking PSPs, but think about it; did you automatically know how to do it after looking at one guide or tutorial? I call shenanigans on anyone that says yes (unless you're DA). We all needed help one time or another. I'm writing this to help both present and future PSP users with their hacking wants and needs.

So, again the question is:

What did/do you want to know about hacking your PSP?

~Main: PSP: PSP-1001; FW: 5.50 GEN-B2;
    ~Misc: Battery: Sony PSP 3.6v 2200mAh; Memory: Lexar MSPD [8GB], Lexar MSPD [2GB], -MMS Formatted- SanDisk M2 (MG supported) [2gb] (via SanDisk M2 adapter [MG supported])

HyperHacker is offline Programmer -Hacks Enthusiast

Extensive lists of what PRX does what. There are some lists, but largely incomplete and in need of being combined.

What the hell errors 802Bxxxx mean.
    >> PSP-2001 running 5.00m33-6, 4GB Lexar memory stick

Noted. :] Thanks.
    ~Misc: Battery: Sony PSP 3.6v 2200mAh; Memory: Lexar MSPD [8GB], Lexar MSPD [2GB], -MMS Formatted- SanDisk M2 (MG supported) [2gb] (via SanDisk M2 adapter [MG supported])

fearless1964 is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

i would suggest including all of the psp hacking teminology you can find. i mean for a while i didnt know what "flashing" meant. try to make it super noob friendly.
    PSP(1001):PANDORA->5.00 M33-6 w/ 1.50 Add-On
    PSP(2001)TA-085v2:PANDORA->5.50 GEN-D3

Was already planning on it! Thanks, fearless!

HyperHacker is offline Programmer -Hacks Enthusiast

I wonder if I'm the only one who'd love to read about the gory technical details of past exploits and precisely how they worked?
    >> PSP-2001 running 5.00m33-6, 4GB Lexar memory stick

Gusha is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by HyperHacker View Post
    I wonder if I'm the only one who'd love to read about the gory technical details of past exploits and precisely how they worked?
    Im with HyperHacker on that one... not very techie but would love to know how the hell all these exploits work, what they do, why they do what!
    PSP1006 (TA79v2) Various; PSP3004 (TA90v2) 6.20 PRO-B9pp & PSP2004 (TA88v3) 6.20 PRO-B9pp

humansymphony is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Quite frankly there's enough guides out there. I would not even spend time making a guide as the true noobs will not even bother. Take this screenshot I took a couple days ago for example:

People who are truly willing to learn and are dedicated to it will not need help. I, myself, studied up on hacking my PSP for a month prior to getting my PSP. Minutes after opening my presents Christmas morning 2007, I had cut my PSP battery open, desoldered the pin, and installed 3.71 M33 on my brand spanking new Star Wars slim.

Hmm, how was I able to do this? I simply know how to READ! 90% of these noobs aren't even the slightest bit tech savvy. Some don't even have winrar installed ffs. How do you expect to hack your PSP when you're technologically impaired?

So I say to you, sir, don't waste your time on something the noobs will simply neglect. You could have a giant ass banner that says "NOOBS FUCKING READ THIS SHIT FIRST!" and they will STILL not read it and thus going straight to the help section to ask their stupid, already answered over 9000 times, questions.

tl;dr
    noobs... what.... the FUCK!?
    Last edited by humansymphony; 10-09-2009 at 06:32 AM.

Hyperhack and Gusha, I completely agree with you. I'd love to know what does what, how and why. But, I think that may be a bit TOO in depth for this type of guide. But, I definitely would love to see that somwhere. (However, if I can get this things going well enough, I may just start making it into a deeper guide and include that. Thanks for the suggestion. )

And, humansymphony, first off, I love a lot of your posts, so props. But, also, I completely understand where you're coming from. Most definitely, why make something for people that won't appreciate it and use it?
    But, though aiming this more towards newbs, I want it to be a one-stop-shop kind of guide for anyone who needs a quick reference for hacking PSPs.
    Better to try and fail, than not try at all, no?