Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ATTN: CFW and Homebrew Developers

iguanaman is offline -Hacks Newbie

Default ATTN: CFW and Homebrew Developers

I am calling on all CFW and, more specifically, homebrew developers. Please make sure you specify compatibility requirements in more detail. I can't tell you how many times I have spoken with PSP owners that I know that are just plain afraid of installing hacks, mods or homebrew on their PSP's. It's because of not knowing whether this or that will work with their PSP's or even brick them. Most notably the 3000's. There is just an onslaught of homebrew and CFW related releases I see almost every day that never specify if they will work with 3000's at all or possibly brick them. Most PSP users are not knowledgeable enough about the inner workings of exploits or CFW to justify installing many apps, mods and hacks without the developers specifying if their PSP's are supported. If you want the homebrew scene to flourish then please address this simple issue because fear, it appears, is winning and that's exactly what Sony wants.

Scorpus is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Applications rarely brick PSPs, and most homebrew is supported on every type of PSP unless otherwise stated

xKaikz is offline Banned -Hacks Smarty

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpus View Post
    Applications rarely brick PSPs, and most homebrew is supported on every type of PSP unless otherwise stated
    Even then you gotta screw up pretty bad to have an app to brick your PSP.

BTW, the only apps that can brick ya PSP, are ones that touch the flash0.

"Unless otherwise stated." Exactly, too often there is software that doesn't state enough compatibility. This post is directed most towards software that does touch flash ram. It's meant to point out that an amazing number of PSP owners that want to experience the CFW and homebrew scene are very intimidated by complicated issues that I feel could be more easily addressed by simply adding more detail about compatibility. It's not about how badly you have to screw up to damage something but more about the fear of it happening. This is an issue I've been wanting to address for a very long time and I apologize to all those that I know for waiting so long to do so. Please try to understand and look at this issue objectively.

BeAkErOo is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Life is like a box of chocolates
    3DS: 4167-4567-3684

certa is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Does it really matter? If they're too scared to hack their PSP they're a pussy or aren't doing enough research, it's ALL OVER the internet, I am surprised how much of it there is, even some one like me who doesn't even know how to begin programing can easily see what works and what doesn't.
    psp3k 3g 6.20 Pro-C2 cr5400 with 2x 16gb scdhc Super Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max, Dungeons Frack mod IV, Megaman Maverick Hunter X booker8.1 with 20ebooks, //fully working mp3prx with all songs// ps3phat 80gig kmeaw 3.55 SSFIV Arcade ed., Dark Souls, REOperation Raccoon City, Borderlands 1

Scorpus is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

All homebrew uses the same set of instructions for the PSP. If it doesn't work on a particular console, it's probably the user's fault. If it touches flash0, it generally will have a failsafe to prevent the app being used on the wrong types of PSPs.

Stinkee2 is offline Programmer -Hacks Hacker

Quote Originally Posted by certa View Post
    Does it really matter? If they're too scared to hack their PSP they're a pussy or aren't doing enough research, it's ALL OVER the internet, I am surprised how much of it there is, even some one like me who doesn't even know how to begin programing can easily see what works and what doesn't.
    you took (most) of the words right out of my mouth
    "PM Oyabun a bunch of gay pr0n and you're in." - ...BeAkEr... (BeAkErOo)

I guess I was hoping that my point of view would be more obvious. I was wrong. To be more specific, I should have focused more on software that modified areas of flash that could render a newer model PSP a brick. The number of software that can do this is limited at best but they do exist. Reading through various forums around the PSP commune reflect negative experiences by many that have these newer PSP's. Call it it overblown but I wanted to help out some people and friends that look up to me as a source for information and advice. If you could refrain from calling them pussies and the like it would be greatly appreciated. I'm well aware of my knowledge level but also am aware of the people out there that lack my or most of your experience levels. I truly believed that my post would result in a more objective response than it has. Once again, I was wrong.

certa is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    I guess I was hoping that my point of view would be more obvious. I was wrong. To be more specific, I should have focused more on software that modified areas of flash that could render a newer model PSP a brick. The number of software that can do this is limited at best but they do exist. Reading through various forums around the PSP commune reflect negative experiences by many that have these newer PSP's. Call it it overblown but I wanted to help out some people and friends that look up to me as a source for information and advice. If you could refrain from calling them pussies and the like it would be greatly appreciated. I'm well aware of my knowledge level but also am aware of the people out there that lack my or most of your experience levels. I truly believed that my post would result in a more objective response than it has. Once again, I was wrong.
    What do you need, it's very unclear, your first post took a completely opposite direction of this one, in your first post you were saying that it's easy to hack a psp without bricking, now you are saying there's a good chance of bricking 3000's... The homebrew developers might not have this information... For them it might work fine, then some unlucky person may get some random bug and brick... I think you are asking way to much and in the wrong spot too.
    psp3k 3g 6.20 Pro-C2 cr5400 with 2x 16gb scdhc Super Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max, Dungeons Frack mod IV, Megaman Maverick Hunter X booker8.1 with 20ebooks, //fully working mp3prx with all songs// ps3phat 80gig kmeaw 3.55 SSFIV Arcade ed., Dark Souls, REOperation Raccoon City, Borderlands 1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast