Thread: memory stick

pbHacker is offline -Hacks Neophyte

Default memory stick

Hi,
    I am getting 2nd hand psp. The model is an old phat 1000 one. I would like to hack the psp so that I can play backups on it. Excuse me for asking what probably seems like a silly question, but do I have to buy a specific type of memory stick to put the backups on?

Cheesetheif is offline Senior Member -Hacks Monk

Nope, any stick will work as long as it is a Memory Stick Pro Duo. Though, be advised, if you are going to play ISO's and CSO's, you're going to want a memory stick with at least 2GB. Anything less and you will not be able to play some games. (The maximum size of a game on a UMD is 1.8GB, the largest games I have seen only go up to 1.6GB). Large games are not too common, but they are usually good ones.

Oh, and if you are buying a memory stick, NEVER EVER buy one on ebay. Ebay, 95% of the time, sells fake memory sticks. Meaning as in, the memory stick might look genuine, but usually it will be a cheap knock-off that will have problems, and probably will not have the advertised space on it.
    Last edited by Cheesetheif; 11-21-2009 at 07:39 AM.

UnŽestŽiŠted™

iamafreak is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

The memory stick that you will need is a normal Memory Stick PRO Duo.
    Dont buy memory sticks from ebay..There are many fake stick floating around in ebay..

Thanks for your replies.

Just before reading your replies I went to ebay and noticed that on a search for psp memory stick there are many items for Micro SD SDHC cards fitting into a Memory Stick Pro Duo Adapter. I guess from you previous posts these are also a No, No?

The CR-5400 2x Micro SDHC to MS Pro Duo adapter works great in all PSP's, but do not get the Micro SD's from ebay.

UnŽestŽiŠted™

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesetheif View Post
    The CR-5400 2x Micro SDHC to MS Pro Duo adapter works great in all PSP's, but do not get the Micro SD's from ebay.
    I am not doubting you but I have purchased many micro SD cards from ebay in the past, which I have successfully used with my Nintendo DS.

Thanks for the advice though :

They'll work, but that does not mean they were made by who they say they were made by. (AKA knock-offs). That means they may last you somewhere between 1 day and 5+ years, there's no way to tell, this is because there is no quality control with knock-offs.

With pro duos you can tell because knock-offs do not support Sony's DRM, Magic Gate. If you click info when viewing the ms, it will tell you if it is supported or not. Now, Magic Gate will not be supported if you are using an adapter no matter what.
    When buying memory/storage, my rule of thumb is to buy it from a trusted source even if it is more expensive. I would rather not go through the device crapping out on me and losing everything it had on it.

UnŽestŽiŠted™

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesetheif View Post
    They'll work, but that does not mean they were made by who they say they were made by. (AKA knock-offs). That means they may last you somewhere between 1 day and 5+ years, there's no way to tell, this is because there is no quality control with knock-offs.

With pro duos you can tell because knock-offs do not support Sony's DRM, Magic Gate. If you click info when viewing the ms, it will tell you if it is supported or not. Now, Magic Gate will not be supported if you are using an adapter no matter what.
    When buying memory/storage, my rule of thumb is to buy it from a trusted source even if it is more expensive. I would rather not go through the device crapping out on me and losing everything it had on it.

Does it mean that it wont play some games if magic gate is not supported?

Also you mention the CR-5400, which looks like a great idea Surely an micro SHDC card dont support magic gate? Finally does the micro SHDC cards play with all bcakups? and are there are issues regarding game speed?