Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which memory stick to buy...?

theEvilOne is offline Gone fishin -Hacks Titan

Default Which memory stick to buy...?

http://microcenter.com/search/search...x=0&submit.y=0

If I remember correctly, Lexar sticks and such aren't compatible with PSP's, so I guess my choice is between the Sony or Sandisk 8GB card. Price doesn't matter to me, I just want whichever one is better/faster/(stronger?)/more compatible.

I've had both a 1GB Sandisk and a 4GB Sony, and they both seemed to work about the same.

Opinions?

EDIT: I might be going for the 16GB instead, is this one sure to work, and is it a relatively good deal?

Last edited by theEvilOne; 12-26-2009 at 04:54 PM.

Jsamp is offline Outa time -Hacks Titan

Just avoid the Lexar ones and you should be fine. I've never had a problem with Sandisk memory cards.

Medox is offline -Hacks Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by theEvilOne View Post
    EDIT: I might be going for the 16GB instead, is this one sure to work, and is it a relatively good deal?
    Instead of spending 65$ on that 16gb memory stick, you could get a 16GB MicroSD for ~50 (maximum 60) and for ~5$ get a photofast 5400. The difference is that you'll have a remaining slot for a future 8-16gb (or whatever) microsd.

zafz is offline -Hacks Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Medox View Post
    Instead of spending 65$ on that 16gb memory stick, you could get a 16GB MicroSD for ~50 (maximum 60) and for ~5$ get a photofast 5400. The difference is that you'll have a remaining slot for a future 8-16gb (or whatever) microsd.
    But also suffer lower write and read speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by theEvilOne View Post
    [url] Price doesn't matter to me, I just want whichever one is better/faster/(stronger?)/more compatible.
    Last edited by zafz; 12-26-2009 at 10:11 PM.
    PSP: 3001 AKA Brite - 5.03 OFW -----> 5.03 ChickHEN R2 -----> 5.03 GEN-B/C (Full)
    Plugins:|CXMB|TimeBatteryPercent|Hold+|Sedna|Music|U.M.V. Spoofer|PspPowerSaver|Battery|
    Please +rep me (click the weighing scales) if I have helped you.

Quote Originally Posted by zafz View Post
    But also suffer lower write and read speeds.
    never saw anything running slow whit my 2x 16gb class 6 microsds using photofast 5400.

...and if that "mark2" from his link represents class 2... that'll be even slower.

p.s. running just one microsd with photofast is actually better (faster) than having two cards. Still, two of them work perfect for me.
    Last edited by Medox; 12-26-2009 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Medox View Post
    never saw anything running slow whit my 2x 16gb class 6 microsds using photofast 5400.

...and if that "mark2" from his link represents class 2... that'll be even slower.

p.s. running just one microsd with photofast is actually better (faster) than having two cards. Still, two of them work perfect for me.
    No, the Mark 2 does not represent Class 2.
    Pro Duo mem. stick have faster write/speeds than MicoSD + PhotoFast.

Since, TheEvilOne wanted the faster stick, naturally a Pro Duo is the faster one compared to the MicroSD + PhotoFast.
    PSP: 3001 AKA Brite - 5.03 OFW -----> 5.03 ChickHEN R2 -----> 5.03 GEN-B/C (Full)
    Plugins:|CXMB|TimeBatteryPercent|Hold+|Sedna|Music|U.M.V. Spoofer|PspPowerSaver|Battery|

No, the Mark 2 does not represent Class 2.
    Pro Duo mem. stick have faster write/speeds than MicoSD + PhotoFast.

Since, TheEvilOne wanted the faster stick, naturally a Pro Duo is the faster one compared to the MicroSD + PhotoFast.
    I must say I didn't really saw a lot of Pro Duo speed tests and I don't know if they are "naturally" faster but the ones I did saw weren't really that fast => (6-10MB/s). Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, don't underestimate MicroSD + PhotoFast. Here is my speed test:

(done 5 minutes ago...)

And the speed test shows two microsds. I would like to do a speed test with just one of them but it needs a format for that, therefor... some other time.

But, now that I think about, just one could not beat this speeds, maybe what I read reffered to access times & co. Because one class 6 microsd wouldn't do more than 6MB/s. So I think I kinda proved myself wrong, lol.

@theEvilOne
    OR, you could get yourself two 8GB class 6 microsd cards (17-19$ one of them) and with the adapter you'll be all set and done for around 45$(?)... saving some money AND having speed results like mine, that are fast enough. (or 8+16, 16+16, if -- like you say -- the price doesn't matter)

p.s. having microsds is sometimes better. Never know when you'll need one of those 4/8/16gb cards for the phone, camera, and so on (would need a format after the separation but you get the point).
    Last edited by Medox; 12-26-2009 at 11:35 PM.

Cheesetheif is offline Senior Member -Hacks Monk

My SanDisk 2gb sucked more than a Class 2 8GB MicroSD in a CR-5400 adapter.

I suggest getting the adapter. It is cheaper and can be much better, especially if you get class 6 MicroSD's.

Un®est®i©ted™

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesetheif View Post
    My SanDisk 2gb sucked more than a Class 2 8GB MicroSD in a CR-5400 adapter.

I suggest getting the adapter. It is cheaper and can be much better, especially if you get class 6 MicroSD's.
    Hmm, lower GB mem. sticks have lower write/read speeds right?

(Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Plus all this talk of PhotoFast and MicroSDs make me want to get one too.

Scorpus is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Hmm, lower GB mem. sticks have lower write/read speeds right?
    It should be the other way round. Flash drives with higher capacity generally have slower read/write speeds.

EDIT: Unless the sticks were manufactured at different times.
    Last edited by Scorpus; 12-27-2009 at 12:40 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast