Thread: A general question/idea/thought

Osvir is offline -Hacks Newbie

Default A general question/idea/thought

Hello! Well, I don't know if it's really a "general" question. But it is a thought...

What if it would be possible to read a full license file. Without any wierd symbols etc. etc. (which I have access to, if it even is what I think it is) could it be possible to... I don't know... re-write the license (somewhat) and run code from it? As far as I know, the program/game needs the license to run properly. Thusly it is my inexperienced guess that the program/game on the PSP is in fact running the "code" from the license file. Without the license, as many know, the program/game will not run (that is, on OFW).

Did I just explain the same thing 3 times, with different wording? =/

Nonetheless, the real question:
    Could you manipulate the license file and inject your own code into it? In other words, tricking the program/game to run the license AND the injected code.
    Thanks in beforehand! This might have been answered before or something but I don't know. I am sorry if it is indeed a repeat, and I am sorry if I am testing your patience (this question is, of course, directed towards seasoned PSP programmers (or programmers at all)/developers, those with experience and know-how).

- Osvir

Organized_Chaos is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

I like how some people are trying to figure out new ideas and methods of hacking instead of sticking with the old stuff and laughing at the people who try to think of new stuff.

However, you're idea will not work. The game isn't using code from the license file.. rather the code from the game is looking at the license to verify that it is allowed to run. (The following may be technically inaccurate but it will get my point across) You turn on your PSP, go to the game, and press X. The game starts. It looks for the license file, if it finds that file then it looks at the contents. If that file meets the game's criteria to run then the game will go ahead and execute the rest of the code.

You might think of it as a key maybe. You have a key to your house, if that key gets changed or there is no key at all then your door will not unlock. The license file is basically the key to the game. It needs the key to start.

Cheesetheif is offline Senior Member -Hacks Monk

In simpler terms, the license is just file that is checked by the game upon start up. If it is the wrong file or is missing sony's signature, your PSP will give you a "Game could not be started" error.

Un®est®i©ted™

@Organized_Chaos & Cheesthief+anyone else that might pop into this thread: I am no such "leecher" that I want CFW for games (I am unlucky to have 6.20 3000). I want CFW for all the user/custom made goodies =D Sorry if this seems like a "nonchalant" or "stuck up" response to any of yours posts, or a future post. This paragraph is not ill intended. I just want to clarify, I am very well aware of all the people "crying" for CFW to play games (illegally). And I believe I have been mistaken as such (due to low post count and, really, inactivity and little engagement). To cut it short, I am not one of them.

And thank you Organized_Chaos and Cheesethief for your patience and your answers. Much appreciated!

Though it was only a question, yes the ultimate goal would have been a hack/exploit/anything similar, of course ^^ I mostly wanted confirmation on my theory, which was basically what you two said. But one can never be too certain eh? Especially when you, or me rather, have no knowledge at all.

And I am a bit sad to say that I now have a follow up question that I have read a wee bit too many times >_> thusly it aches a bit in my fingers to write the question. But oh well... I'll re-word it at least. For your, hopefully, viewing pleasure:

If you have a full, readable, license file, with "secret keys" and "signature keys" and similar (too lazy to look all parameters up at the moment). Could one learn anything from it? Perhaps attain the knowledge to [write a license file oneself]*, or simply learn more in-depth about the security? Even possibly "attach" a license file (that you create) to a file on your PSP. Or maybe it should be the other way around hmm "attach a file to a user/custom made license"?

[]* This would be the line that I've read too many times

As I have read, and logical as it is, it is not too bright to scream out all in public on this forum about the PSP and stuff within it that could be vurnable. Thusly I might be a bit purposedly vague. I am sorry if I seem a bit confusing and redudant. Because I do believe that an individual with experience, knowledge and know-how would learn (or already knows about it) something out of what I have found.

Thusly I would thank anyone letting me PM them and answer the question I have. And, of course, you will get the full non-public explanation. I do have a bit of a fear of Updates and patches after all. Even though this would most likely not lead to such a thing... but one can never be too certain =P

Thanks in beforehand, Osvir

Demonchild is offline #thatguy -Hacks Titan

It still wouldn't work because the license file will have to be signed by the PSP that made it.

Guide for M33 firmwares | Install DCv8 |PS3 Hacking Thread

PSP: 6.60 PRO-B10 | PS3: 4.30 | Xbox: LT+ v3.0 [Li-On] | G2x: CM 7.2 Nightly
    Twitter

Thank you for your response Demonchild! =D to you too, much appreciated.

Then I suppose it would get me nowhere editting the xml license file of the "Digital Comics Book Reader" files T-T the original idea I had was to be able to add in user made comics into the DCB by manipulating the xml license file that was given. Though the actual comic data (the MNB file) might be a tad bit hard to re-create.

Thanks again, Osvir