Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: got an idea for handheld consoles

alex2009 is offline -Hacks Smarty

Default got an idea for handheld consoles

I was thinking the other day how the psp can manage PS2 graphics but can only play ps2 games if ported then I thought... what if all the games companies just released a handheld version of previous obsolete consoles?

right now the PSP is the handheld emu for PS1 but it would be great if a handheld iteration of the PS2 could be made and sold quite cheaply as the hardware required would be several years old and the psn could be the medium for the transfer of games.

I'm not just talking about sony but all old consoles; n64, dreamcast, etc maybe even gamecube as well

any one else think this is a good idea?

psychobadger is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Ds had some N64 games ported
    GBA had some SNES
    PSP has PS1

They'd only do it if there is a way to make money out of it with as little effort on their part as possible a console isn't attractive to the general masses if it isn't going forward and releasing new games that people build up an anticipation to buy rather than buying old classics they had. The classics are like a bonus think of xbox arcade and playing some older xbox games. Sony has an interpreter for ps2 on any ps3 and an agreement with sega about dreamcast emulation. If this service is available I don't see why they would make ti so it would also run on the psp2

Sparker is offline -Hacks Titan
    THIS LINE OF TEXT YOU ARE READING RIGHT NOW IS USED TO INFACT TELL YOU MY LOCATION OF WHERE I LIVE..

Yes I reckon it's a great idea as the reason I hacked my PSP was to emulate old historical games from around the 80's to 90's.

Though honestly the PSP can emulate most (well known) old systems. If you want stuff around the n64 to dreamcast era, go google "Ben Heck".

Otherwise it's pretty much what the user above me said.
    Not to also mention the main target audience probably isn't interested (/ranting)

I see your point but, if they could make it cheaply and sell it quite cheap - as the hardware shouldn't be that expensive - and it was more the handheld concept of actual console games I was going for as its all well and good playing oldies on the live arcade on my tv at home but, older gamers have jobs and a handheld would allow me to catch up on all the ps2 rpg's I bought but never got to finish when I'm at work, as currently I'm learning to juggle during breaks, which is fun, but i'd rather play some old ps2 titles.

I just think that for example; making a ps2 handheld emu. the hardware shouldn't cost that much as the tech is 10 years old and they have pretty much got the same specs as the PSP so scaling it down to handheld dimensions also shouldn't be that great a problem and they could probably sell it for, say, £50 with the online psn store or ripping games from your own collection.

The only thing I can see getting in the way of this would be the marketing models of Sony for these types of things, like if they make most of their profits on software, then obviously there would be no point but if they could make profits, I could see this as a big seller... little microSD card and off ya go.
    Last edited by alex2009; 03-07-2010 at 09:40 AM.

ZiNgABuRgA is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by alex2009 View Post
    I see your point but, if they could make it cheaply and sell it quite cheap - as the hardware shouldn't be that expensive
    That's quite an assumption you make there. New hardware can be sold for more, old hardware doesn't get as high a margin (or return on investment (ROI)) as new hardware, so isn't necessarily cheaper to manufacture.

There are plenty of other reasons why this is bad from Sony's standpoint. For one, it becomes a disincentive for people to buy new games. With ports, Sony can potentially get people to buy two copies (perhaps unlikely). New games can often be priced higher than older games.
    I would also suspect ports to be relatively simple to make, for the developers, as well, compared to completely new games. If you have a portable PS2 thing, then you can't get further profit from these "cheap" ports.

PS2 is a bit too new of a platform for Sony to really emulate. With PS1, they probably can't hope to make much more, which is why it's done.

Technical capabilities and difficulties play a very small role in developing products like these.

hmmm... crap, I was thinking the ports weren't as easy to do, but I guess I was wrong.

They should start porting better games then, the ones done up to this point have been mediocre, I'm still waiting on rogue galaxy

Wolverfrog is offline -Hacks Newbie

I don't see why Sony don't just port the PS1 Final Fantasy VII to a UMD, and chuck it in a collection with the game's two prequels.

I reckon that'd sell pretty well.

Darkiboo is offline -Hacks Neophyte

Quote Originally Posted by alex2009 View Post
    I'm still waiting on rogue galaxy
    Emulator...?

Sparker is offline -Hacks Titan
    THIS LINE OF TEXT YOU ARE READING RIGHT NOW IS USED TO INFACT TELL YOU MY LOCATION OF WHERE I LIVE..

Quote Originally Posted by Darkiboo View Post
    Emulator...?
    Rouge Galaxy is a PS2 game if I'm correct, don't expect to emulate it on PSP.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverfrog View Post
    I don't see why Sony don't just port the PS1 Final Fantasy VII to a UMD, and chuck it in a collection with the game's two prequels.

I reckon that'd sell pretty well.
    1. It's Square's game, Sony have no right unless Square say that's what they want.
    2. What's the point when there's the PSN store FFVII?

Wolverfrog is offline -Hacks Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Sparker View Post
    Rouge Galaxy is a PS2 game if I'm correct, don't expect to emulate it on PSP.

1. It's Square's game, Sony have no right unless Square say that's what they want.
    2. What's the point when there's the PSN store FFVII?
    Well Square don't seem bothered about keeping Final Fantasy "pure", what with all the remakes they release.

Not everyone has a Memory Stick large enough for FFVII. Mine is only 1GB. Also, I use mobile broadband and so have a data allowance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast