Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Regarding Exploits and Custom Firmware.

Organized_Chaos is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Default Regarding Exploits and Custom Firmware.

I am correct when I say a Custom Firmware is useless without an exploit, right? Like there's a custom firmware for 5.03 and there's an exploit for 5.03. However there's a custom firmware for 5.50 but no exploit. Thus, users with 5.03 CFW can't upgrade to it.

So people who are getting excited about a 6.20 CFW need to stop and think - it will only benefit the people with a fully hackable PSP until a kernel mode exploit is found and a homebrew enabler is coded.

Is everything I just said basically correct? I keep saying stuff like this a lot when people ask when a CFW will be released and I just want to make sure I'm right.

Last edited by Organized_Chaos; 06-11-2010 at 12:40 AM.

XQYZ is offline -Hacks Neophyte

From my limited understanding, yes. Once you're on any kind of CFW you can pretty much upgrade through the CFWs as you wish. However, you can only upgrade to other OFW if you are running OFW.
    Meaning, there either needs to be an exploit (eg. on 5.03) to enable you to go to CFW or you need a pandora-like method to upgrade. 6.XX is still unhackable, which means you cannot downgrade to a hackable OFW, nor can you switch to CFW, even if it was a 6.XX-era CFW.

ASCiiDiTY is offline -Hacks Veteran

Yes but for those of us with a fully hackable PSP it would be nice to have an updated CWF for example "6.20 M-33" with the comics and any other new stuff, also the ability to play 6.20 untouched ISO's, and possibly even more features. My friend can't use his camera on 5.50 GEN D3 or 5.00 M-33 and i would imagine there are also more draw backs i don't know about with the old CFW's.

Still, unlikely to happen.

Yes certainly, I think a new Firmware would definitely improve a lot of aspects for us, but I think OP just wanted to make sure his info checks out, that a new 6.XX release from m33 or gen would NOT automatically mean homebrew and isos for all 6.XX OFW users (or all PSP users including 3000).

I'm not sure where, but I remember having read that 6.XX is kind of runable as CFW, but that it will break compatibility with almost all homebrew apps and it's not going to be released any time soon because of that. I guess eventually we'll see a release of it thought. I wouldn't mind starting from scratch if it improves things for us.

ASCiiDiTY is offline -Hacks Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by XQYZ View Post
    Yes certainly, I think a new Firmware would definitely improve a lot of aspects for us, but I think OP just wanted to make sure his info checks out, that a new 6.XX release from m33 or gen would NOT automatically mean homebrew and isos for all 6.XX OFW users (or all PSP users including 3000).

I'm not sure where, but I remember having read that 6.XX is kind of runable as CFW, but that it will break compatibility with almost all homebrew apps and it's not going to be released any time soon because of that. I guess eventually we'll see a release of it thought. I wouldn't mind starting from scratch if it improves things for us.
    Yes I agree. But surely the part about homebrew not working with the 6.x.x kernel has been proven wrong with the HBL? I know most homebrew will probably need changing but is it really that much effort. People update thier programs for new operating systems, why not firmware on PSP.

Here is an article from Nov '09 talking about it.
    Here somebody is quoted saying:
    Sony has structurally changed the firmware and removed a number of things “useless” to run the game but needed to run some utilities and other homebrew. This has been remedied, in large part by our split of development but it would require a general update of all that exists in homebrew (games and utilities) and the themes and all that goes with it. [...] This does not mean that it will not happen but it seems now that all this upheaval is not worth the trouble for so little gain.
    I don't really understand why it never happened nevertheless. So long as you can run newer homebrew and maybe even backups I'm sure most people would have liked it and after a transitional process the community could certainly have adopted to it.

That's what GEN said. And as far as I'm concerned... they just didn't know how to do it.

HBL proves most of our homebrew will still work with the 6.xx firmware. A few pieces have been re-written for it but as the HBL develops more and more homebrew is becoming compatible without needing to be re-written.

iamafreak is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

I am not sure if you guys have seen this.. A kernel exploit has been found on OFW 6.20.Sorry if this is already posted...

http://lan.st/showthread.php?t=3022&page=3

That's actually great news, but still will not enable PSP 3ks and GOs to run CFW permanently afaik.

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.pspmod.com/forums/software-firmware-plugins/64391-why.html#post574074
    ok before i'm flamed for helping. the reason is unhackable 2k,s all 3ks Will not boot an unsigned "PreIPL"the hackable 2ks and all phats(1ks) can and Do Thats why they can have perma CFW.

if you flash cfw or anything unsigned to FLASH0 on an unhackable.. byebye PSP as its bricked and only sony can unbrick em.. "Why then cant i unbrick it?" again unbricking when its that bad requires a Tool/Pandora/Service Mode battery. the unhackable 2ks (w/ TA-085v3 boards) and 3ks Dont go into servicemode via the battery nor will they boot an unsigned Pre -IPL which is needed by a MMS(Magic Memory stick)

Untill people find away to make the ta85v3 2ks and 3ks and (lol wont happen) far off future to the GO!'s boot an Unsigned Pre-IPL they can never run Perma CFW

[...]

hope those examples was enough to help you understand basicly what chickenhen really is/works like various other softmods on other consoles. and why this isnt a perma solution to unhackables. w/o a way of signing the Pre-IPL that the PSP loads on power-on. we will never have perma CFW on those models.
    However, it might or might not make it possible to go CFW from 6.XX on Phats and Hackable 2ks without a Pandora and a MMS.
    Last edited by XQYZ; 06-11-2010 at 05:43 AM.

Yes I know about the kernel exploit that was found. Will it lead to a CFW? The guy who found it said he wasn't going to make a loader or a HEN.

Also, XQYZ, I already knew that. That's why I said users who have to use a 5.03 CFW wouldn't be able to upgrade to a 6.xx CFW unless there was an exploit in the 6.xx OFW that would allow a HEN to run. Even when a 6.20 CFW is released it will still have to be a temp firmware for those unhackable PSPs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast