Thread: legal or illegal?

yurimay.1111 is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Default legal or illegal?

hello,
    playing psp with custom firmware and iso game files,is it legal or illegal?

Organized_Chaos is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

It is illegal if you did not pay for the games. If you bought the UMD and made a copy of the ISO yourself it is legal. If you downloaded the ISO games from the internet, it is illegal.

BCman is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

unless u bought the game off the psn, it is illegal to have a copy of it even if u own the umd.
    u dont have sony's permission to make backups of the umds whether u own them or not.

I was under the impression that everyone is allowed to have one backup copy of all software they own as long as they paid for it and still have the original. Does Sony provide free replacements if the crappy UMDs break? Probably not. Okay so maybe it's illegal to have a copy of an ISO that you own but it's not wrong. It's wrong when you don't pay for it.

BCman is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

any copy of ANYTHING is illegal unless u have permission from the owner.
    this applies for software/games/music/movies/pictures/etc if it is copyrighted.

u buy the umd knowing that if u arent carefull it might break but that is ur fault not sonys.
    wheather u sit n it/scratch it/etc, u bought it in brand new working condition and it was fine untill touched/used by the consumer.

but i agree, we should be legally allowed to "backup" anything as long as we have the original purchased item as the media we get it on is of low quality

I see, thanks for explaining that. What I was thinking of just pertains to computer software.
    Can I backup my computer software?
    Yes, under certain conditions as provided by section 117 of the Copyright Act. Although the precise term used under section 117 is “archival” copy, not “backup” copy, these terms today are used interchangeably. This privilege extends only to computer programs and not to other types of works.

Under section 117, you or someone you authorize may make a copy of an original computer program if:

* the new copy is being made for archival (i.e., backup) purposes only;
    * you are the legal owner of the copy; and
    * any copy made for archival purposes is either destroyed, or transferred with the original copy, once the original copy is sold, given away, or otherwise transferred.
    http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-digital.html

Of course, that law is for the United States. You (yurimay.1111) should check with local authorities regarding the matter