Thread: copied some flash0 files...

thebananahacker is offline -Hacks Neophyte

Default copied some flash0 files...

So I copied like 20 files from the flash0 but no important files, just wondering why i can copy these files but not others?

Thank God. I thought this site was going to label me a noob forever.

Cheesetheif is offline Senior Member -Hacks Monk

What do you mean? All of the files in Flash 0 are important. If you delete almost any of them, you system will brick.

UnŽestŽiŠted™

thebananahacker is offline -Hacks Neophyte

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesetheif View Post
    What do you mean? All of the files in Flash 0 are important. If you delete almost any of them, you system will brick.
    well i did on 6.20 via psp filer and it only was able to copy 20 files from the flash0
    Thank God. I thought this site was going to label me a noob forever.

shivadow is offline Banned -Hacks Monk

Assuming you are using one of those new fandangled PSP3000's, it is unadvisable to be messing around with flash0 because one day you will turn it into a fancy paperweight.

You can copy some of the flash0 files because some of them aren't protected. The ones you cannot copy are protected. The rest of it is security related and also the reason the PSP3k hasn't been fully hacked yet.

Cheesetheif is offline Senior Member -Hacks Monk

Quote Originally Posted by shivadow View Post
    Assuming you are using one of those new fandangled PSP3000's, it is unadvisable to be messing around with flash0 because one day you will turn it into a fancy paperweight.

You can copy some of the flash0 files because some of them aren't protected. The ones you cannot copy are protected. The rest of it is security related and also the reason the PSP3k hasn't been fully hacked yet.
    I do not think flash 0 files are protected. The reason the 3k has not been hacked is because of the IPL. It has been decrypted, it just has not been re-engineered to work. The other thing is that currently, If flash 0 original FW files are overwritten, the PSP will not boot. That however does not mean we cannot write or copy files from flash 0.

As for PSP 3k flash 0 files, they will be pretty much the same as any slim flash 0's. I can easily switch to 6.30 or any OFW, and dump the FW's flash 0 to my memstick.

UnŽestŽiŠted™

shivadow is offline Banned -Hacks Monk

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesetheif View Post
    I do not think flash 0 files are protected. The reason the 3k has not been hacked is because of the IPL. It has been decrypted, it just has not been re-engineered to work. The other thing is that currently, If flash 0 original FW files are overwritten, the PSP will not boot. That however does not mean we cannot write or copy files from flash 0.

As for PSP 3k flash 0 files, they will be pretty much the same as any slim flash 0's. I can easily switch to 6.30 or any OFW, and dump the FW's flash 0 to my memstick.
    Some of the flash0 files are obviously protected otherwise you would be able to copy them all. Probably protected by hardware. The PreIPL is readable (always has been) but the IPL isn't hence why no CFW on 2000v3 and 3000 PSP's.
    Just because you can load up an OFW on a pandora battery doesnt mean there isn't any form of protection, anyone with a CFW PSP can do this but once matched with an OFW and a new board it's a different ballgame, hence why no downgrading.

I don't have much experience with IPL but I have a fair idea how security implementations can lockdown devices after playing with Xbox360 and Ipod/Iphones. Yes, it's only a matter of time but.. until the time D_A shows up none of the above matters.

So, "it is unadvisable to be messing around with flash0 because one day you will turn it into a fancy paperweight." is correct and should have ended there.
    Last edited by shivadow; 07-20-2010 at 08:29 AM.