Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: IPhone has more 'power' than the PSP?

levi wardrobe is offline -Hacks Newbie

Default IPhone has more 'power' than the PSP?

The PSP runs a max of 333, yet the Iphone can reach 833, and natively runs 3x higher than the PSP.

What does this mean? Can the Iphone run better, larger, higher quality games than the PSP? Should we all be hacking Iphones and getting Xbox and PS2 emulators as opposed to hacking PSP and playing N64, nes, game boy etc?

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/...e-iphone-3g-s/
    It runs at 600MHz, just as T-Mobile let slip last week, but according to Samsung’s spec sheet it can run at up to 833MHz and its native speed is 667MHz.

Read More http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/...#ixzz0uIFwVSHw
    I'll admit. I know near to nothing about technology, but I do know math well enough to see that 833 is higher than 333.

Does someone care to explain what the deal is, or if I'm wrong? I know the Iphone came out years later than the PSP... but it just seems wierd that a phone (yes, I know it does play games) is more powerful than a system that is optimized solely (for the most part) for gaming.

ZiNgABuRgA is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by levi wardrobe View Post
    The PSP runs a max of 333, yet the Iphone can reach 833, and natively runs 3x higher than the PSP.

What does this mean?
    It means the CPU runs at a higher clock speed.
    Despite common belief, higher clockspeeds do NOT mean that it has more processing power. (though as for whether it does, I don't know)

And no, it is definitely not powerful enough to run an Xbox or PS2 emulator. Heck, even modern desktop CPUs can struggle with PS2 emulation.

Quote Originally Posted by levi wardrobe View Post
    Does someone care to explain what the deal is, or if I'm wrong? I know the Iphone came out years later than the PSP... but it just seems wierd that a phone (yes, I know it does play games) is more powerful than a system that is optimized solely (for the most part) for gaming.
    Technology moves fast, especially the mobile world. PSP was designed in 2004, which can be considered ancient in terms of what mobiles do.
    Still, the iPhone is unlikely to have the same level of dedicated graphics hardware (you're just comparing CPU speeds) and the PSP can probably still beat it in graphics performance (note, this is just my guess).

chiruscan is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

The PSP and PS2 use RISC processing.

RISC=reduced instruction set computer

Its a design that allows simple instructions to provide higher performance because this simplicity enables much faster execution of each instruction. This is the reason a PSP with 32mb of RAM and a 300 Mhz CPU can run Tekken 6, while a 2.5 Ghz Core 2 Duo cannot, due to the layers of emulation and lack of RISC coding.

Dont be fooled by specs, the Iphone may have a faster processor, but lol at Xbox and PS2 emulators. The Iphone barely runs GB Advance and Nes emulators.

ZiNgABuRgA is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by chiruscan View Post
    The PSP and PS2 use RISC processing.
    So does practically all embedded CPUs.

Quote Originally Posted by chiruscan View Post
    RISC=reduced instruction set computer

Its a design that allows simple instructions to provide higher performance because this simplicity enables much faster execution of each instruction. This is the reason a PSP with 32mb of RAM and a 300 Mhz CPU can run Tekken 6, while a 2.5 Ghz Core 2 Duo cannot, due to the layers of emulation and lack of RISC coding.
    Rubbish. The idea behind CISC (eg x86) is that hardware will always be faster than software. Advantages are that the hardware can handle more stuff, though a drawback is perhaps that there are generally fewer general purpose registers on a CISC processor compared to a RISC processor (or at least, accessible registers).
    RISC's primary advantage is that processors are simpler than CISC, which is appropriate for low power embedded devices.

A Core 2 Duo @2.5GHz would have no trouble running a reasonably optimised PSP emulator, if a reasonable one existed. And this is running the game through an emulation layer.

Zero is offline Ad Man -Hacks Titan

The iPhone also costs much more than the PSP. You're paying for the faster technology.

It's like saying "I spent $300 on my PSP. How can a $700 piece of equipment be stronger"?

You comparison is flawed simply based on that.

Jsamp is offline Outa time -Hacks Titan

The psp is much older than the iphone. Also your trying to compare a handheld gaming system to a phone. I know the iphone can run games but its main purpose is to be used as a phone.

shivadow is offline Banned -Hacks Monk

They are completely different machines and the Iphone is far superior. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Portable

Zero is offline Ad Man -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by shivadow View Post
    They are completely different machines and the Iphone is far superior as a phone but it's full of gimmick "apps", gaming on it sucks and it's overprice as sh*t. I should also learn to properly capitalize "iPhone". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Portable
    Fixed.
    Last edited by Zero; 07-21-2010 at 06:04 PM.

chiruscan is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

LOLZ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

True

shivadow is offline Banned -Hacks Monk

You have obviously never even got close to using an iPhone (happy with that spelling?) at it's full potential. Don't mock them if you've never used one.

Sure they are expensive and the Appstore is costly but Jailbreak fixes that problem an about 30 seconds. I have an iPod Touch, iPhone and a PSP, all modded, PSP is the loser as a commodity item.

Don't get me wrong, the PSP is great at what it does but it doesn't do enough to even compare to a Jailbroken iPod/iPhone.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast