Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: question about the legal-ness of roms

kilr4hir1996 is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Default question about the legal-ness of roms

is it legal to download OLD games. im an old time gamer, so i want a bunch of nes-n64 games on my psp.

Free ISO/CSO Site #1 if i helped you. +rep plz
    PSP 1001 sliver faceplate| 6.20 OFW | 2GB Real MS
    New to PSP hacking? Click here.

Demonchild is offline #thatguy -Hacks Titan

Of course not, but we still do it anyways.

Guide for M33 firmwares | Install DCv8 |PS3 Hacking Thread

PSP: 6.60 PRO-B10 | PS3: 4.30 | Xbox: LT+ v3.0 [Li-On] | G2x: CM 7.2 Nightly
    Twitter

NetMafia is offline -Hacks Hacker

Yea and we don't get caught xD

You know what stupid people do for fun?click here!

XQYZ is offline -Hacks Neophyte

We really are living a pirate's life, aren't we, mates?

shivadow is offline Banned -Hacks Monk

If you have to circumvent a security measure to get it from it's source (source meaning disc, cartridge HDD or any other form of media) then it is illegal to own a copy/backup. This applies to EVERY country around the globe.

If you don't have to circumvent a security measure to get the data from it's source it is in a legal 'grey area'. Some countries allow one single copy/backup but you cannot lend it out or sell it, Canada is one of these such countries, but most countries dont allow it and it is illegal anyway.

It's safe to say that it's illegal to download anything that you should be paying cash for as the cash is royalties to the owner.

kilr4hir1996 is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

=\ ill keep that in mind....so canada will lwt you have 1 copy of older games? But i have the Actual cartrage for most of the games i want ROMS for. that help at all?
    Free ISO/CSO Site #1 if i helped you. +rep plz
    PSP 1001 sliver faceplate| 6.20 OFW | 2GB Real MS
    New to PSP hacking? Click here.

Cheesetheif is offline Senior Member -Hacks Monk

It is legal to have 1 digital copy of software that you own. I do not think that circumventing protection is illegal necessarily in the US to just get one digital copy on your PC as a back up as long as you own the original copy and the copy you made is from your own purchased material.

Un®est®i©ted™

BCman is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

lol.

copyright infringement.
    it is simple, if u have the owners permission to make a copy it is fine, if you do not it is illegal.

there is no gray area, there is no "but i have the original" etc etc.

i dont care where u live, making a copy of anything without the permission from the copyright holder is illegal, hence why people get patents and copyrights....

now, if the patent has expired or there is no copyright then its a different story.

XQYZ is offline -Hacks Neophyte

Quote Originally Posted by BCman View Post
    it is simple, if u have the owners permission to make a copy it is fine, if you do not it is illegal.

there is no gray area, there is no "but i have the original" etc etc.

i dont care where u live, making a copy of anything without the permission from the copyright holder is illegal, hence why people get patents and copyrights....
    That might or might not be true in the US, but it certainly is not the case in every country. Here in Germany we are allowed to make copies of our stuff under certain conditions. In this specific case §53 2.4b applies: "a copy of a medium that has not been available for sale for over two years for private use in your own personal archive". Also there is §69d.1 and 2 which state that you can basically copy "computer software" (which I'm sure would apply here, too) if you are licensed to run the software, as a copy for future use (ie beyond the lifespan of the source medium).
    Pretty sure any sane country has similar laws.

pspjoke is offline Programmer -Hacks Guru

I make my own laws in this sense.. If I own something, Ill make as many copies and backups as a damn well please.. However, I wouldn't lend them out. Its a bit of a pain really since even with my own ideals I can't lend out something I backed up unless I lend my backups as well.. however that's not really a problem seeing as how I don't let people borrow my things most of the time.

In short, the laws of man are stupid and flawed because man is stupid and flawed. SOOOOOOOO... Live your life based on logic, not what others say is right and wrong.

mmmmmmkay?

... Basically you said you own the original, so just download the rom. If you own the system, download an emulator.

Be happy..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast