Thread: PSP vs iPod Touch - Video Playback Speed

vahnx is offline -Hacks Newbie

Default PSP vs iPod Touch - Video Playback Speed

I own a PSP Go (Firmware 6.20) and an iPod Touch 2G MC (iOS 4.1) and I was playing back video on both, consecutively the same file. The PSP was falling behind in video playback, so I kept pausing and unpausing the iPod Touch's video so the PSP could catch up, only to notice the PSP gradually slows down. Is this normal or does the PSP generally playback video slower? It must be at a pretty slow rate because I wouldn't have noticed otherwise, until I decided to do this test. Also the video doesn't look as sharp on the PSP VS iPod 2G but that's beside the point.

ZiNgABuRgA is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

You're possibly (in fact, very likely) encoding the two videos differently, so you could be comparing totally different things.
    They should be running at the same speed if you encoded them both the same.

I think the smaller iPod screen probably has a higher density than the PSP's, but the older iPod touches don't have significantly higher pixels/inch than the PSP. Again, could also be an encoding issue there.

Zero is offline Ad Man -Hacks Titan

Yeah I'd also like to see the encoding settings.

Hm... well I downloaded, specifically, episode 51 of this: http://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/n...ge/id356727353
    using iTunes (latest version) to sync the video to my iPod, and Media Go (latest version) automagically saw it in "Video clips" and I transferred it over with the "Add to" button. So whatever Media Go encoding defaults to must of made the video settings bad. I didn't change any encoding settings in either iTunes or Media Go, but if it's possible to change encoding settings in Media Go, I'd like to know where. I just checked and no go.

ZiNgABuRgA is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

IDK about those converters. Chances are, if you downloaded from iTunes, it's already encoded for the iPod.
    Although the PSP supports a superset of what video formats the older iPods support, Media Go may be doing something stupid.
    It could also be a decoder problem, not just an encoder one.

But to do a fair comparison, you need to use identical video files, not something converted differently for different devices.
    This re-encoding may also explain the less sharp image (generation loss of re-encoding).

Yeah I tried an MP4 downloaded from another source and it played at the same speed on both devices. Must have been the encoding.