Thread: How does HBL Work?

stefonzo is offline -Hacks Newbie

Default How does HBL Work?

Sorry about bothering everyone, but how exactly does HBL work? Like how does it hack your psp? And how does it allow you to use emulators?

Ryu
    Ryu is offline Super Mod of the Brood -Hacks Titan

HBL is an user mode app, that runs Homebrew that runs using in user mode

it uses a user mode Save game exploit to run

and this
    may help
    http://wololo.net/

Half-Byte Loader, a Homebrew loader for all models of the Sony PSP (including the PSP Go). This piece of software allows you to run unsigned software (homebrews) on the Sony playstation portable.
    Last edited by Ryu; 12-01-2010 at 07:14 PM.

PSP 1.5 got on USA first day is was 1.5 NOW 4.01 M33-2 -> 5.00 M33-6(1.50 addon),
    Old PS3s: PS3 60GB FW:3.41(2nd ps3 YLoD, 1st, YLoD)
    New PS3:
    Slim 160gb 01-21-2011 Working
    was 3.40 OFW->3.60 OFW

2nd PSP : PHAT 5.50 GEN-D2
    3rd PSP : Sliver 3000 Starting OFW:4.20 (NEW bought NEW on 11/28/2010)
    It a good idea to have "Hide extensions for known file types" in Folder Options(under Tool) unchecked (turn on extensions)

3DS FC:0301-9790-8019

Organized_Chaos is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

It uses a buffer overflow in a game save to inject modified code into the system. This code allows the HBL menu to launch and the HBL menu is programmed to allow you to launch eboots (homebrew).

Here is an article Wololo wrote explaining how to find buffer overflows in games: http://wololo.net/wagic/2009/03/11/f...ts-on-the-psp/

Even if there is stuff you don't understand, you should be able to get an idea of what is going on.

stefonzo is offline -Hacks Newbie

Thanks a lot.

bradpit82 is offline -Hacks Newbie

one thing u should remember.. never use HBL for 6.35 firmware because it can brick your psp. i won't do that except TN release HEN for 6.35..

Quote Originally Posted by bradpit82 View Post
    one thing u should remember.. never use HBL for 6.35 firmware because it can brick your psp.
    What? Where did you read that? There isn't a public version of HBL available for 6.35.
    Quote Originally Posted by abrasmith89 View Post
    I am happy with the HBL, except for loading up the game everytime. I want to run a homebrew, but anyways I was wondering if we can use to it. With this HBL, you can launch homebrews with Patapon 2 demo. HBL is an user mode app.
    What? "I was wondering if we can use to it."

shivadow is offline Banned -Hacks Monk

I think brad meant you can screw your PSP if you use any other version HBL on 635 and to wait for the proper before trying.

As for how the HBL works, it's wiki time!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffer_overflow

Quote Originally Posted by shivadow View Post
    I think brad meant you can screw your PSP if you use any other version HBL on 635 and to wait for the proper before trying.
    However, that is untrue. The worst that would happen is the game wouldn't start and your PSP would reboot. Maybe if the PSP is set so it starts the UMD as soon as it's turned on then it would keep freezing and rebooting until the memory stick or the UMD was removed. That would be the closest thing to a brick.

HBL does not touch the flash0 of a PSP right now. Total_Noob's HEN will, but not HBL in it's current state. Therefor, I am confident that it will not brick a PSP.