Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony Responds To PS3 Hacks

samuraiX is offline -Hacks Smarty

Default Sony Responds To PS3 Hacks

Manufacturer breaks cover and comments on recent security breaches; network updates planned.

Sony has at last broken silence on recent developments which have seen its PlayStation 3's security measures completely defeated.

The firm has remained resolutely tight-lipped since news broke that a hacking group named fail0verflow had gained full control over the system, after reverse engineering the code used to sign authorised software as genuine.

Shortly afterwards iPhone hacker George “GeoHot” Hotz published the console’s “root key” online, enabling homebrew developers to create and sign their own apps. Blu-Ray and PSP root keys have also since been found buried within the PS3 and released online.

“We are aware of this, and are currently looking into it,” Sony told us in a brief statement. “We will fix the issues through network updates, but because this is a security issue, we are not able to provide you with any more details.”

Sony’s response is at odds with comments given to the BBC yesterday by fail0verflow member pytey, who said: “The complete console is compromised – there is no way back.

“The only way to fix this is to issue new hardware. Sony will have to accept this.”

Both fail0verflow and GeoHot are staunchly anti-piracy, and have not released any tools that directly enable the playing of copied games, but it is widely expected that piracy will soon be rife on what was, until very recently, considered to be the most secure console ever released.
    source: http://www.next-gen.biz/news/sony-responds-to-ps3-hacks

manaseater is offline -Hacks Newbie

A very diplomatic response from a defeated company.

What else could they say?

They have nothing.

I don't look down on them though, Four years of security is nothing to yawn at.

Cheesetheif is offline Senior Member -Hacks Monk

I wonder how all of this will play out. The PS3 is a much more advanced console than the PSP, so Sony might still find a way to stop it or at least cause it to slow down.

They may release an update which drastically changes the kernel....

Un®est®i©ted™

McPhail is offline -Hacks Member
    Near a Tree by the River Theres a Hole in The Ground. I'm not there.

Quote Originally Posted by manaseater View Post
    A very diplomatic response from a defeated company.

What else could they say?

They have nothing.

I don't look down on them though, Four years of security is nothing to yawn at.
    definitely agreed. For a simple algorithm, 4 years of security and the previous image of "Unhackable" is nothing to sneeze at.

Infact, if it has been 4 years, wont sony just abandon (or slow down the hack process of) the ps3 and start work on the next gen system?

Ryu
    Ryu is offline Super Mod of the Brood -Hacks Titan

sony did all of this to them self

one of the main reason the ps3 got hack the way it did,
    by Sony REMOVING otherOS

Quote Originally Posted by fail0verflow
    Sony illegally removed an advertised feature (OtherOS) for existing customers; we're only bringing it back. 10:54 AM Jan 5th

if otherOS was still there the ps3 may still NOT be as hack as it is

PSP 1.5 got on USA first day is was 1.5 NOW 4.01 M33-2 -> 5.00 M33-6(1.50 addon),
    Old PS3s: PS3 60GB FW:3.41(2nd ps3 YLoD, 1st, YLoD)
    New PS3:
    Slim 160gb 01-21-2011 Working
    was 3.40 OFW->3.60 OFW

2nd PSP : PHAT 5.50 GEN-D2
    3rd PSP : Sliver 3000 Starting OFW:4.20 (NEW bought NEW on 11/28/2010)
    It a good idea to have "Hide extensions for known file types" in Folder Options(under Tool) unchecked (turn on extensions)

3DS FC:0301-9790-8019

Xitherun is offline sleepy -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesetheif View Post
    I wonder how all of this will play out. The PS3 is a much more advanced console than the PSP, so Sony might still find a way to stop it or at least cause it to slow down.

They may release an update which drastically changes the kernel....
    Except they can't. There is literally nothing they can do, apart from releasing an entirely new console.

The keys to sign code have been found, and there's no changing those. If they do, then all previously released games/apps/whatever will not work anymore.

This is not something a system update can fix.

jinzo27 is offline -Hacks Smarty

i can see why failoverflow had the incentive to go out and get linux running back on their ps3 but i kinda feel bad for the fact the keys got published the way it did,(we all knowing there will be a backup manager)but i lets see how sony will try to fix this issue although from what i can tell wont happen.

xocomaox is offline -Hacks Ninja

i'm sure since they designed the device, they have the power to do something here. perhaps create a list of every available game, allow those to run, and just have new keys assigned to handle new games? then another patch for anything they've missed?

to me, this doesn't seem like the end of the world for them. maybe it's because i am not a programmer and this is not my field of expertise.
    currently playing
    テイルズ オブ リバース
    ToP: なりきりダンジョン X (0.11)
    psp-1001 5.00 m33-6

jinzo27 is offline -Hacks Smarty

Quote Originally Posted by xocomaox View Post
    i'm sure since they designed the device, they have the power to do something here. perhaps create a list of every available game, allow those to run, and just have new keys assigned to handle new games? then another patch for anything they've missed?

to me, this doesn't seem like the end of the world for them. maybe it's because i am not a programmer and this is not my field of expertise.
    while i hope its not the end of the world to sony or the game developers, it would be great to see some new homebrew being done on the psp and the ps3, sadly i am on my psp more than my ps3 since i love my emulators

ZiNgABuRgA is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Unless there's something I don't get, it does seem feasible that an update could change the key, whilst having a list of all "legitly" signed signatures. The firmware would only allow stuff signed with this new key, or those with a hash on the whitelist.

Either case though, it seems the PS3 is forever vulnerable to a lower level attack, eg modchip, which a software update cannot fix.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast